MPRE after the Bar Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2019)
ncheerharan

New

MPRE after the Bar

Post by ncheerharan » Tue May 21, 2019 5:08 pm

Hey guys, i'm not sure if someone else has posted this, but i'm panicking about this so posted to see if anyone had any insight or advice.

Basically, I wasn't sure I would be working in a law firm and thought I was going to work on Capitol Hill after graduation, so when I took the MPRE in March, i studied for 1 day. I basically skimmed the Barbri book they give you for free the day before the exam, skipping a few sections, and quickly skimmed the mini-outline in the back of the Barbri book the morning of the exam. I also may have had a few drinks the night before with a lady friend. Anyways, I took the MPRE and scored a 78.

3 weeks after the MPRE, I got offered a nice firm position in Missouri, which requires an 80 to be licensed. The job requires me to be a licensed attorney, aka I have to pass the Bar in July and pass the MPRE.

I paid for Barbri and i'm studying hard for the bar, but 10 days later on August 10th I will have to sit for the MPRE. I was planning on taking a few days off after the Bar just to let my brain recharge and for me to relax and calm down from the panic that the Bar induces. I figure 6 days of studying (I plan on watching that 6 hour video, reading through the 150-page book thoroughly and doing a couple of practice exams before reading the mini outline the morning of the test) will be enough for me to get that 80.

My main question is, is it realistic of me to be able to do this MPRE studying after the Bar? I dont really know anyone who has had to take the MPRE immediately after the Bar like I will, and I hate myself for not taking the MPRE seriously the first go around and now I am really placing myself in a bad position. If I pass the bar but not the MPRE, I may literally just quit the law and go enlist because of how mad I will be at myself.

Is there any advice any of you know for studying for the MPRE so close after the bar, any tips on how to stay focused on the Bar with the looming panic of the MPRE afterwords lingering in my mind, and just any general advice on making sure I actually pass the MPRE the second go around.

And yes, i know the MPRE is supposed to be super easy and I am an idiot for not passing the first time. I realized I changed a few answers from right to wrong after discussing with my friends, which also makes me super mad since one or two more right answers would've spared me this stress. Feel free to bash me in the comments section for messing up on the MPRE and not staying focused, its deserved.

danibeans

New

Re: MPRE after the Bar

Post by danibeans » Thu May 23, 2019 2:14 am

Hi,

I took the MPRE after the bar exam. You're fine. If you're sitting for the July bar, results won't be out until November. I took the MPRE in August and within four weeks received my score. All together, you'll know whether you passed the MPRE before you get your bar exam results.

As for studying, I found the studying to be much easier for the MPRE after studying the grueling 8-10 hour days for the bar. PR is also covered on the bar exam (CA) so I found the MPRE much easier because of that, since it was just refreshing what I already knew and I didn't have to remember the distinctions.

Hope this helps.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Thu May 23, 2019 12:30 pm

ncheerharan wrote:My main question is, is it realistic of me to be able to do this MPRE studying after the Bar?
Yes. I know a number of very successful young attorneys who did just that (and passed both the bar and the MPRE).
ncheerharan wrote:Is there any advice any of you know for studying for the MPRE so close after the bar, any tips on how to stay focused on the Bar with the looming panic of the MPRE afterwords lingering in my mind, and just any general advice on making sure I actually pass the MPRE the second go around.
Yes. Don't think about the MPRE at all between now and the bar. Focus solely on the bar.

After the bar, take at least 2 (preferably 3) days off to rest and recharge. Don't try to go straight to MPRE prep, because you will be burned out and you will not be effective.

Then bust out your MPRE book, and start prepping seriously. You came super close to passing last time even with your almost complete lack of effort. You will be fine so long as you take it seriously this time 'round. No need to spend 10-hour days studying; that's way more than is needed*. Just make sure to start a week in advance (don't wait until the last 24-48 hours to start reading the outline for the first time), read the outline carefully multiple times, drill practice questions (best way to make sure you remember what you need to remember).

(*Just make sure not to schedule date night on the eve of the MPRE again!)

Best wishes!

Bingo_Bongo

Bronze

Post by Bingo_Bongo » Sat May 25, 2019 11:13 pm

I know plenty of people who did it, and they all passed.

In California, you have to know the ABA Rules for the Bar Exam, so if Missouri is anything like that then you're sort of studying for the MPRE when you're studying for the bar.

But even so, four days of serious prep for the MPRE is more than enough. Some would even say overkill. You'll be fine.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2019 Forum”