Vanderbilt Law Class of 2019 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2019)

Which section are you in?

A
28%
B
28%
C
44%

Total votes: 18

squirtlesquad14

Bronze

Re: Vanderbilt Law Class of 2019

Post by squirtlesquad14 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:16 pm

Just got my email!!! Woohoo!!! Those still waiting, hold out hope!

James.K.Polk

Silver

Post by James.K.Polk » Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:17 pm

squirtlesquad14 wrote:Just got my email!!! Woohoo!!! Those still waiting, hold out hope!
Same here. An okay offer, but not enough for me. It's sort of fun, though - the decision is getting closer :lol: :lol:

Edit: 90k, for reference. 3.1/171.
Last edited by James.K.Polk on Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wrestlme431

New

Post by wrestlme431 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:18 pm

Just got my offer. As a splitter it's pretty generous.

Scalvert

Silver

Post by Scalvert » Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:20 pm

Just got mine as well!!! As a reverse splitter, I am quite pleased!

:D

GreekOmega12

Bronze

Post by GreekOmega12 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:24 pm

I wish UVA showed love like Vandy did today lol

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Generally

Gold

Post by Generally » Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:27 pm

GreekOmega12 wrote:I wish UVA showed love like Vandy did today lol
+ a billion

JeanLucPicard

Bronze

Post by JeanLucPicard » Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:04 pm

Is the wave over? :( no email for me

Dexter97

Bronze

Post by Dexter97 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:13 pm

Got the email! Not super generous but a good starting point. :wink:

The email mentioned to fill out the Need Access form. Any idea how much $$$ they grant in need based aid?

squirtlesquad14

Bronze

Post by squirtlesquad14 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:15 pm

Dexter97 wrote:Got the email! Not super generous but a good starting point. :wink:
Not sure about your email, but mine specifically said that they wont negotiate merit aid:
Our scholarship awarding process is designed to distribute limited scholarship funds fairly and consistently among many deserving candidates. We determine each award in the context of all awards while pressing the full limit of our total scholarship budget, which makes each offer our “best” offer for that individual. As a result, it is not our practice to “match” or “compete” with awards from other schools.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

janderson821

Bronze

Post by janderson821 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:15 pm

I got my offer as well today! It was the exact number I needed in order to keep it as a serious option. I've been waiting to book a trip until I got it! What does everyone make of the section about requesting more aid?

squirtlesquad14

Bronze

Post by squirtlesquad14 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:18 pm

janderson821 wrote:I got my offer as well today! It was the exact number I needed in order to keep it as a serious option. I've been waiting to book a trip until I got it! What does everyone make of the section about requesting more aid?
Basically seems like they are just saying, "We won't negotiate based on other offers. The only additional money you can get is need based grants." Thats my take on it at least.

Dexter97

Bronze

Post by Dexter97 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:19 pm

squirtlesquad14 wrote:
Dexter97 wrote:Got the email! Not super generous but a good starting point. :wink:
Not sure about your email, but mine specifically said that they wont negotiate merit aid:
Our scholarship awarding process is designed to distribute limited scholarship funds fairly and consistently among many deserving candidates. We determine each award in the context of all awards while pressing the full limit of our total scholarship budget, which makes each offer our “best” offer for that individual. As a result, it is not our practice to “match” or “compete” with awards from other schools.
I received the same email but one of the subsequent paragraphs leads me to believe that they will listen to an offer.
Adjustments to an award may be possible based on financial need. For consideration, submit a Need Access Form, if you have not done so already. Please also submit a written request for a scholarship adjustment based on financial need to admissions@law.vanderbilt.edu and include any information that you would like us to consider.
Im planning on filling out NeedAccess but also sending them an email like they asked for which will state my financial need and include other offers I received.

squirtlesquad14

Bronze

Post by squirtlesquad14 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:20 pm

Dexter97 wrote:
squirtlesquad14 wrote:
I received the same email but one of the subsequent paragraphs leads me to believe that they will listen to an offer.
Adjustments to an award may be possible based on financial need. For consideration, submit a Need Access Form, if you have not done so already. Please also submit a written request for a scholarship adjustment based on financial need to admissions@law.vanderbilt.edu and include any information that you would like us to consider.
Im planning on filling out NeedAccess but also sending them an email like they asked for which will state my financial need and include other offers I received.

Maybe. I took that to mean that if it's still not enough, you may be eligible for need-based grants...but that whatever you got now is going to be the max of your merit based award.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

janderson821

Bronze

Post by janderson821 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:22 pm

Dexter97 wrote:
squirtlesquad14 wrote:
I agree. I kind of got the vibe that they're willing to hear why we want more.

squirtlesquad14

Bronze

Post by squirtlesquad14 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:25 pm

janderson821 wrote:
Dexter97 wrote:
squirtlesquad14 wrote:
I agree. I kind of got the vibe that they're willing to hear why we want more.
"Please also submit a written request for a scholarship adjustment based on financial need" is the part that made me feel like they don't care about what you have received from other schools, just your current financial situation. But who knows, it seems like there is very little rhyme or reason to the law school admissions process in general.

laynie

New

Post by laynie » Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:29 pm

$125k offer via email!!

BillClinton Jr

Bronze

Post by BillClinton Jr » Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:31 pm

So will we receive our need based money later?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BirdLawExpert

Gold

Post by BirdLawExpert » Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:47 pm

wrestlme431 wrote:Just got my offer. As a splitter it's pretty generous.
+1

I'll try to negotiate, but this is a pretty solid starting point.

wrestlme431

New

Post by wrestlme431 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:27 pm

BirdLawExpert wrote:
wrestlme431 wrote:Just got my offer. As a splitter it's pretty generous.
+1

I'll try to negotiate, but this is a pretty solid starting point.
Agreed. Hopefully this also provides some leverage for negotiating with other schools.

Big Red

Gold

Post by Big Red » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:28 pm

1L here, feel free to tag me if you have Qs

It's pretty common knowledge (and true in my experience) that Vandy doesn't negotiate with anyone, although I've heard rumblings that people have gotten a bump off the WL. Does not mean you shouldn't try though - literally nothing to lose. Dean Morton doesn't bite

eta: also glad to see you guys are happy - us dropping the median a point probably did you guys a solid :lol:

wrestlme431

New

Post by wrestlme431 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:35 pm

Big Red wrote:1L here, feel free to tag me if you have Qs

It's pretty common knowledge (and true in my experience) that Vandy doesn't negotiate with anyone, although I've heard rumblings that people have gotten a bump off the WL. Does not mean you shouldn't try though - literally nothing to lose. Dean Morton doesn't bite

eta: also glad to see you guys are happy - us dropping the median a point probably did you guys a solid :lol:
It makes sense considering how generous they appear to be with merit aid, relative to their peers. Do you know if they don't allow stacking of need + merit aid. I know Georgetown only gives you the higher amount if you qualify for both, does Vanderbilt have the same policy?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Big Red

Gold

Post by Big Red » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:36 pm

wrestlme431 wrote:
Big Red wrote:1L here, feel free to tag me if you have Qs

It makes sense considering how generous they appear to be with merit aid, relative to their peers. Do you know if they don't allow stacking of need + merit aid. I know Georgetown only gives you the higher amount if you qualify for both, does Vanderbilt have the same policy?
no idea - maybe tag Arklaw in the c/o thread, I think a 2L is somewhere on there also

Lucyfur

Bronze

Post by Lucyfur » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:47 pm

BillClinton Jr wrote:So will we receive our need based money later?
It's not really clear. Email said both merit and financial need were considered in determining the award, but later in the email it mentions the Need Access Form and says to send an email for a scholarship adjustment based on financial need. I already sent in the Need Access about a month ago, but I'm going to try emailing them mentioning it to see if I could get a bump in $.

Scalvert

Silver

Post by Scalvert » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:23 pm

Does anyone know how much weight is placed on the parental info from the Need Access form?

chandlerbing

New

Post by chandlerbing » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:34 pm

$125K offer! Keeps Vanderbilt in my top 2 for sure. Definitely wasn't expecting this large of a scholarship offer!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2019 Forum”