Duke Law Class of 2019

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2019)

When are you moving to Durham/Are you interested in a TLS meet-up before classes start?

Already here, baby
5
9%
May
1
2%
June
2
4%
July
2
4%
August
14
25%
Haven't figured it out yet
2
4%
Never. I'm not going to Duke, I just wanted to assert my right to vote
9
16%
Yes
15
27%
No
4
7%
Maybe
1
2%
 
Total votes: 55

User avatar
LittleGiants16

New
Posts: 76
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:32 pm

Re: Duke Law Class of 2019

Post by LittleGiants16 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:16 pm

Okay. Another question for the group: does anyone know how and when we receive our 'stipends'?

User avatar
lymenheimer

Gold
Posts: 3979
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:54 am

Re: Duke Law Class of 2019

Post by lymenheimer » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:19 pm

LittleGiants16 wrote:Okay. Another question for the group: does anyone know how and when we receive our 'stipends'?
If by "stipend" you mean the loan refund? If you have set up a direct deposit, youll get it on the day of disbursement. If you havent, youll get a physical check a couple days later. Dont know exactly when the disbursement date is.

User avatar
LittleGiants16

New
Posts: 76
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:32 pm

Re: Duke Law Class of 2019

Post by LittleGiants16 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:47 pm

lymenheimer wrote:
LittleGiants16 wrote:Okay. Another question for the group: does anyone know how and when we receive our 'stipends'?
If by "stipend" you mean the loan refund? If you have set up a direct deposit, youll get it on the day of disbursement. If you havent, youll get a physical check a couple days later. Dont know exactly when the disbursement date is.
I couldn't think of the term 'loan refund,' so thanks for that. How did you set up direct deposit? I haven't heard about any of that.

User avatar
lymenheimer

Gold
Posts: 3979
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:54 am

Re: Duke Law Class of 2019

Post by lymenheimer » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:38 am

LittleGiants16 wrote:
lymenheimer wrote:
LittleGiants16 wrote:Okay. Another question for the group: does anyone know how and when we receive our 'stipends'?
If by "stipend" you mean the loan refund? If you have set up a direct deposit, youll get it on the day of disbursement. If you havent, youll get a physical check a couple days later. Dont know exactly when the disbursement date is.
I couldn't think of the term 'loan refund,' so thanks for that. How did you set up direct deposit? I haven't heard about any of that.
https://law.duke.edu/admis/financial/handbook/sec7/

User avatar
lymenheimer

Gold
Posts: 3979
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:54 am

Re: Duke Law Class of 2019

Post by lymenheimer » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:31 am

Don't forget to sign up for the advisee program (should have gotten info in your email). If you're lucky, you'll pull a fellow TLSer as your advisor and be cool at the start of 1L. Get your immunizations in, if you haven't yet. Get those leases signed. And get your ass to Durham! (Also kinda bummed we don't yet have class/section assignments, but here's to hoping we get them soon)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!


User avatar
magicmagic

New
Posts: 73
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:21 pm

Re: Duke Law Class of 2019

Post by magicmagic » Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:01 pm

Schedules and book lists are out!

robidizzle

New
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri May 13, 2016 6:15 am

Re: Duke Law Class of 2019

Post by robidizzle » Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:49 pm

magicmagic wrote:Schedules and book lists are out!
Yaaas thanks for the heads up, where do we find our book list?

User avatar
lymenheimer

Gold
Posts: 3979
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:54 am

Re: Duke Law Class of 2019

Post by lymenheimer » Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:03 pm

Torts, demott mtwth 8:30-9:30
Civ pro, jones MWTh 9:30-11
Contracts, Weistart MWTh ~noon
Larw, ragazzo/shreve TF 11-12

User avatar
magicmagic

New
Posts: 73
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:21 pm

Re: Duke Law Class of 2019

Post by magicmagic » Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:14 pm

robidizzle wrote:
magicmagic wrote:Schedules and book lists are out!
Yaaas thanks for the heads up, where do we find our book list?
Go to Registration tab in DukeHub and click on Enrollment Book Bag

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?


User avatar
lymenheimer

Gold
Posts: 3979
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:54 am

Re: Duke Law Class of 2019

Post by lymenheimer » Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:16 pm

LittleGiants16 wrote:
lymenheimer wrote:
LittleGiants16 wrote:Okay. Another question for the group: does anyone know how and when we receive our 'stipends'?
If by "stipend" you mean the loan refund? If you have set up a direct deposit, youll get it on the day of disbursement. If you havent, youll get a physical check a couple days later. Dont know exactly when the disbursement date is.
I couldn't think of the term 'loan refund,' so thanks for that. How did you set up direct deposit? I haven't heard about any of that.
Disbursement schedule is out as well. 8/14/2016 for the Fall. DukeHub > Fin Aid > View Fin Aid > Scheduled Disbursements

User avatar
Serett

Diamond
Posts: 16077
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:06 pm

Re: Duke Law Class of 2019

Post by Serett » Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:12 pm

You ready, kiddies?!

lawschoolapplicant92

New
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:16 pm

Re: Duke Law Class of 2019

Post by lawschoolapplicant92 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:26 pm

So ready I'M SO BORED

grades??

Silver
Posts: 985
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:55 pm

Re: Duke Law Class of 2019

Post by grades?? » Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:31 pm

lawschoolapplicant92 wrote:So ready I'M SO BORED
You are gonna eat these words soon

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!


lawschoolapplicant92

New
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:16 pm

Re: Duke Law Class of 2019

Post by lawschoolapplicant92 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:08 am

Anyone have/had Sachs for Civ Pro? Just looked at the syllabus and the fact that "quality of class participation" is 25% of the final grade does NOT make me happy.

robidizzle

New
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri May 13, 2016 6:15 am

Re: Duke Law Class of 2019

Post by robidizzle » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:14 am

lawschoolapplicant92 wrote:Anyone have/had Sachs for Civ Pro? Just looked at the syllabus and the fact that "quality of class participation" is 25% of the final grade does NOT make me happy.
Where did you find the syllabus? And sorry I haven't but to me that actually sounds pretty cool

lawschoolapplicant92

New
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:16 pm

Re: Duke Law Class of 2019

Post by lawschoolapplicant92 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:19 am

robidizzle wrote:
lawschoolapplicant92 wrote:Anyone have/had Sachs for Civ Pro? Just looked at the syllabus and the fact that "quality of class participation" is 25% of the final grade does NOT make me happy.
Where did you find the syllabus? And sorry I haven't but to me that actually sounds pretty cool
Sakai.duke.edu
Class participation is defined strictly as responses to cold calls :( :( :( :( :(

User avatar
Serett

Diamond
Posts: 16077
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:06 pm

Re: Duke Law Class of 2019

Post by Serett » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:40 am

lawschoolapplicant92 wrote:Anyone have/had Sachs for Civ Pro? Just looked at the syllabus and the fact that "quality of class participation" is 25% of the final grade does NOT make me happy.
Yeah. It's straight, algorithm-based cold-calling (everyone starts with an equal chance, and getting called on gives you, I think, a 1/8 probability relative to those who have been called one fewer time than you--lower, but not 0%--and so on through additional calls), so there's no avoiding and little predicting it. No mentally healthy person loves cold-calling, but Sachs is at least nice about it. He's mentioned that he finds the awkwardness of watching someone struggle through one to be very unpleasant and will move on pretty quickly or try to help you through rather than criticizing or embarrassing you. If you do the readings, you'll be fine. I even did an alright job bootstrapping myself through a couple when I hadn't read, but I don't recommend it.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...


User avatar
magicmagic

New
Posts: 73
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:21 pm

Re: Duke Law Class of 2019

Post by magicmagic » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:39 am

lawschoolapplicant92 wrote:
robidizzle wrote:
lawschoolapplicant92 wrote:Anyone have/had Sachs for Civ Pro? Just looked at the syllabus and the fact that "quality of class participation" is 25% of the final grade does NOT make me happy.
Where did you find the syllabus? And sorry I haven't but to me that actually sounds pretty cool
Sakai.duke.edu
Class participation is defined strictly as responses to cold calls :( :( :( :( :(
:shock:

coffee247

New
Posts: 65
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:06 pm

Re: Duke Law Class of 2019

Post by coffee247 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:45 pm

Just want to be sure I've read the LEAD week email correctly: we aren't supposed to dress casually on Tuesday? Business casual?

robidizzle

New
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri May 13, 2016 6:15 am

Re: Duke Law Class of 2019

Post by robidizzle » Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:54 pm

coffee247 wrote:Just want to be sure I've read the LEAD week email correctly: we aren't supposed to dress casually on Tuesday? Business casual?
Yup

User avatar
lymenheimer

Gold
Posts: 3979
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:54 am

Re: Duke Law Class of 2019

Post by lymenheimer » Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:53 pm

If you havent yet been, you should get on the fb group and show up at some of these events people are coordinating. Met some great people already! Also, totally taking suggestions if we want to do TLS-specific meetup

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!


robidizzle

New
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri May 13, 2016 6:15 am

Re: Duke Law Class of 2019

Post by robidizzle » Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:57 pm

lymenheimer wrote:If you havent yet been, you should get on the fb group and show up at some of these events people are coordinating. Met some great people already! Also, totally taking suggestions if we want to do TLS-specific meetup
+1 it's been a lot of fun so far!

lawschoolapplicant92

New
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:16 pm

Re: Duke Law Class of 2019

Post by lawschoolapplicant92 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:22 pm

That moment when you've mealprepped for the week and then check the LEAD week schedule to see that most meals are provided #firstworldproblems

User avatar
magicmagic

New
Posts: 73
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:21 pm

Re: Duke Law Class of 2019

Post by magicmagic » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:25 pm

lawschoolapplicant92 wrote:That moment when you've mealprepped for the week and then check the LEAD week schedule to see that most meals are provided #firstworldproblems
I hope they feed us exclusively pizza and milkshakes.

User avatar
lymenheimer

Gold
Posts: 3979
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:54 am

Re: Duke Law Class of 2019

Post by lymenheimer » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:28 pm

8AM check-in and breakfast, folks! Looking forward to (unknowingly) seeing you there! Business Casual tomorrow (lunch at the Washington-Duke Inn), don't forget!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!


Post Reply

Return to “TLS Class of 2019 Forum”