Georgetown Law Class of 2019 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2019)

Where did you end up?

Georgetown. DC is the center of everything in the country that matters, so of course I'm going to the best school in DC. Also, have you SEEN the student rec center?!
65%
UT. Texas is the center of everything in the country that matters, so of course I'm going to the best school in Texas.
3%
George Washington. Georgetown is great, but G-Dub is in Foggy Bottom and I'd like to eat at ShopHouse as often as humanly possible.
2%
Vanderbilt. Georgetown is too big, and I need to live in a city with actual barbecue.
3%
UCLA. I don't understand why people would voluntarily go to law school somewhere that has winter.
2%
Cornell. I want all of the prestige of Georgetown, but without all of that pesky cosmopolitan culture.
3%
Northwestern. I needed a school that was more business-minded, and also one that has buildings that don't remind me of the USSR.
3%
UVA. DC is great and all, but why live in DC when I can pay cost of living in Charlottesville for three years?
5%
Duke. Mike Krzyzewski. Jay Bilas. Sam Seaborn. Need I say more?
5%
Other. Congrats, tell us where you ended up!
11%

Total votes: 65

Tycho

Bronze

Re: Georgetown Law Class of 2019

Post by Tycho » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:02 pm

Just came here to ask about credentials, but just saw the above and logged in to ASW and created them!

Willie Beamen

Platinum

Post by Willie Beamen » Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:42 pm

squirtlesquad14 wrote:
BirdLawExpert wrote:
Willie Beamen wrote:Just logged on to the ASW and a pop up screen to make credentials came up!
:shock: $$$ time, please.
Saw out of the corner of my eye that I got an email from GULC, was excited it might be about $$$, instead it was just Dean Cornblatt saying he's looking forward to seeing me on Thursday. :shock: :(
IMO we gotta be on a first name basis with him at this point haha... at least all the cues make me feel like if I see him I'm just gonna say, "Thanks for accepting me, Andy! You're awesome!"

squirtlesquad14

Bronze

Post by squirtlesquad14 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:26 pm

Willie Beamen wrote:
squirtlesquad14 wrote:
BirdLawExpert wrote:
Willie Beamen wrote:Just logged on to the ASW and a pop up screen to make credentials came up!
Saw out of the corner of my eye that I got an email from GULC, was excited it might be about $$$, instead it was just Dean Cornblatt saying he's looking forward to seeing me on Thursday. :shock: :(
IMO we gotta be on a first name basis with him at this point haha... at least all the cues make me feel like if I see him I'm just gonna say, "Thanks for accepting me, Andy! You're awesome!"
"Yo Andy, what's up my man?" 8)

BirdLawExpert

Gold

Post by BirdLawExpert » Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:06 pm

squirtlesquad14 wrote:
Willie Beamen wrote:
squirtlesquad14 wrote:
BirdLawExpert wrote:
I'll buy whoever does this a drink.

Also, I know the email said casual, but what kind of clothes is everyone planning to bring? I realize that it's going to be just nonsense-cold, but as a Texan I have no idea what casual is in that situation.

squirtlesquad14

Bronze

Post by squirtlesquad14 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:18 pm

BirdLawExpert wrote:
squirtlesquad14 wrote:
Willie Beamen wrote:
squirtlesquad14 wrote:
BirdLawExpert wrote:

Also, I know the email said casual, but what kind of clothes is everyone planning to bring? I realize that it's going to be just nonsense-cold, but as a Texan I have no idea what casual is in that situation.
I'm just doing like jeans, comfortable shoes, and got some henleys/thermals that i'll probably toss a polo over or something...I'm a Florida boy, so I'm going warmth over classiness.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

missie

New

Post by missie » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:13 am

Checking in! So excited to be here

Willie Beamen

Platinum

Post by Willie Beamen » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:19 am

BirdLawExpert wrote:
squirtlesquad14 wrote:

lmao whatever comes naturally but I'm sure it'll be some version of the above

I just have a huge jacket that I wear in the winter that keeps me warm. I still haven't ruled out this because my Gtown hype is at new levels. http://shop.guhoyas.com/COLLEGE_Georget ... Zip_Hoodie

Khaki type pants and a button down shirt for me because of the supreme court tour (jeans and polo for day 2 most likely)

Willie Beamen

Platinum

Post by Willie Beamen » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:20 am

missie wrote:Checking in! So excited to be here
Welcome! :D

ltbenn

Bronze

Post by ltbenn » Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:09 am

So, I generated a netid yesterday -- but I didn't write down my GOCard number while doing so and now I can't find it anywhere and it's required on the yellow form...

any ideas?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Willie Beamen

Platinum

Post by Willie Beamen » Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:33 am

ltbenn wrote:So, I generated a netid yesterday -- but I didn't write down my GOCard number while doing so and now I can't find it anywhere and it's required on the yellow form...

any ideas?
I would go through servicecenter.georgetown.edu. As long as you have your netID and password they can probably pull of your GOCard number?

lawlzi

New

Post by lawlzi » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:02 am

ltbenn wrote:So, I generated a netid yesterday -- but I didn't write down my GOCard number while doing so and now I can't find it anywhere and it's required on the yellow form...

any ideas?
Use the search function on the ASW at the top of the page to find it. I typed "NetId" and got back to the page with all the information, including the GOCard number.

ltbenn

Bronze

Post by ltbenn » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:07 am

lawlzi wrote:

any ideas?
Use the search function on the ASW at the top of the page to find it. I typed "NetId" and got back to the page with all the information, including the GOCard number.
Amaaazing!

Thanks!

ltbenn

Bronze

Post by ltbenn » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:35 am

btw - while hunting around the georgetown website for something that would tell me my GoCard #, I discovered this: http://apps.georgetown.edu/ full gmail-hosted @georgetown.edu email (and it already works!)
...the hype is real

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Willie Beamen

Platinum

Post by Willie Beamen » Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:53 pm

ltbenn wrote:btw - while hunting around the georgetown website for something that would tell me my GoCard #, I discovered this: http://apps.georgetown.edu/ full gmail-hosted @georgetown.edu email (and it already works!)
...the hype is real
:shock: :D ... Awesome

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:56 pm

Timantha

Bronze

Post by Timantha » Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:26 pm

Hi guys! International student checking in & I have a question on the financial aid application process:

On the following document found on the GULC website, it says that "The Law Center does not offer grants or scholarships to international students."
http://www.law.georgetown.edu/admission ... d_Info.pdf

Does this mean that I'm not eligible for any sort of aid, whether need-based or merit? If that's true, then does that mean I can just skip the whole financial aid process altogether, since there's no point in filling out any of the forms?

:oops: Thanks in advance for any replies!!

BirdLawExpert

Gold

Post by BirdLawExpert » Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:36 pm

Timantha wrote:Hi guys! International student checking in & I have a question on the financial aid application process:

On the following document found on the GULC website, it says that "The Law Center does not offer grants or scholarships to international students."

Does this mean that I'm not eligible for any sort of aid, whether need-based or merit? If that's true, then does that mean I can just skip the whole financial aid process altogether, since there's no point in filling out any of the forms?

Based on the document you linked, it looks like they expect you pay for law school either through loans or through funding resources from whatever country you are a citizen of. Also, some of the third party scholarships from websites like fastweb have similar residential policies, so be sure to look through the qualifications carefully before spending too much time on any one scholarship application.

As far as I can tell, you don't need to fill out financial aid stuff for Georgetown, but I could be mistaken. I'd call their financial aid office on Monday and ask what your best plan of attack is.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Timantha

Bronze

Post by Timantha » Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:00 pm

BirdLawExpert wrote:
Timantha wrote:Hi guys! International student checking in & I have a question on the financial aid application process:

Based on the document you linked, it looks like they expect you pay for law school either through loans or through funding resources from whatever country you are a citizen of. Also, some of the third party scholarships from websites like fastweb have similar residential policies, so be sure to look through the qualifications carefully before spending too much time on any one scholarship application.

As far as I can tell, you don't need to fill out financial aid stuff for Georgetown, but I could be mistaken. I'd call their financial aid office on Monday and ask what your best plan of attack is.
Makes sense, thanks! Yeah, it looks like I don't need to go through the financial aid application steps, but I'll contact the fin aid office to make sure :)

BirdLawExpert

Gold

Post by BirdLawExpert » Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:02 pm

I got bored and I'm excited for the Open House so I made a new poll. If y'all think I missed someone or someone should be replaced, let me know, there are like ten million judges from Georgetown and I'm not the legal junkie that many of y'all may be. :D

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:06 pm

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:26 pm

Gray wrote:Avril Haines OBVIOUSLY

but this is the nerdiest poll I have ever seen in a c/o thread. good job.
Ridiculously nerdy.

And the answer is Maura Grossman, counsel at Wachtell. She's been a major driving force behind the technology revolution in litigation discovery. To a lesser extent Magistrate Judge John Facciola for the same reason.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BirdLawExpert

Gold

Post by BirdLawExpert » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:39 am

Capitol_Idea wrote:
Gray wrote:Avril Haines OBVIOUSLY

but this is the nerdiest poll I have ever seen in a c/o thread. good job.
Ridiculously nerdy.

And the answer is Maura Grossman, counsel at Wachtell. She's been a major driving force behind the technology revolution in litigation discovery. To a lesser extent Magistrate Judge John Facciola for the same reason.
Haha well I'm glad y'all like it! I almost put Judge Facciola, but I honestly didn't know much about him other than his wiki page. I've not heard of Maura Grossman? She's not included on the notable GULC alumni wiki page, maybe I'll go fix that later.

bellanoche2019

New

Post by bellanoche2019 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:00 pm

Checking in! Really excited about the prospect of attending GULC (admitted) and hope everything is in my favor to enroll. This is my number one choice.

Tycho

Bronze

Post by Tycho » Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:11 pm

Has anybody filled out the Yellow Application? It says 2015-16, so I'm wondering if we should be waiting until a 2016-17 form is posted?

coffee247

New

Post by coffee247 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:42 am

Tycho wrote:Has anybody filled out the Yellow Application? It says 2015-16, so I'm wondering if we should be waiting until a 2016-17 form is posted?
Last edited by coffee247 on Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2019 Forum”