Suing Debt Collectors (MN): Consumer Protection Federal Litigation [Small Firm] Forum

Special forum where professionals are encouraged to help law school applicants, students, and graduates.
LST Radio

New

Suing Debt Collectors (MN): Consumer Protection Federal Litigation [Small Firm]

Post by LST Radio » Mon May 11, 2015 12:36 am

I Am The Law is the inaugural podcast produced by Law School Transparency for LST Radio.

Suing Debt Collectors (MN): Consumer Protection Federal Litigation [Small Firm]

Download this Episode
[url=itms://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/i-am-the-law/id955634521]Subscribe on iTunes[/url] | RSS Feed
LSTRadio.com
Or get updates @LSTUpdates or in our monthly newsletter

This episode is presented by The United States Air Force Judge Advocate General's Corp.

What did you just call me? Many Americans are late -- way late -- on their debt obligations. But debt does not entitle a debt collector to use racial epithets, shame consumers, or call them at certain times. In fact, these practices are illegal.

In this episode, Minnesota consumer rights lawyer and William Mitchell College of Law alumnus Pete Barry explains the federal law that drives his law practice. What does Pete do? "I sue debt collectors." He uses this phrase on his website, as well as at cocktail parties. Explaining what he does in such simple, yet clear terms helps him market to those who don't realize they've been legally harmed.

Pete has owned his own firm since he graduated law school nearly 20 years ago. He describes important criteria for taking a client, what's at the core of every lawsuit, and why we're all better off for the accountability he causes.

This episode is hosted by Debby Merritt, a law professor at Ohio State University. It is sponsored by Barbri Law Preview and Top-Law-Schools.com.

Episode Links Previous Episodes

jenesaislaw

Silver

Re: Suing Debt Collectors (MN): Consumer Protection Federal Litigation [Small Firm]

Post by jenesaislaw » Mon May 11, 2015 11:47 am

This is the first episode of season 2. For the next 11 weeks, we'll have a new episode every Monday morning.

secadc11

Silver

Re: Suing Debt Collectors (MN): Consumer Protection Federal Litigation [Small Firm]

Post by secadc11 » Wed May 13, 2015 10:19 am

This one was really interesting; thanks for these.

starry eyed

Gold

Post by starry eyed » Wed May 13, 2015 8:59 pm

nice article, but it would have been better to leave out that he graduated from William Mitchell School of Law

it's doubtful that TLSers will take him seriously now

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed May 13, 2015 11:04 pm

I disagree with the above comment. Success as a lawyer in a small firm has very little to do with law school attended. Being a great student does not assure one of being a great lawyer.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

secadc11

Silver

Post by secadc11 » Thu May 14, 2015 11:00 am

William & Mitchell was also more respected back when he attended.

jenesaislaw

Silver

Post by jenesaislaw » Thu May 14, 2015 6:33 pm

WM is still highly respected in Minnesota, despite the merger with Hamline.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Free Help and Advice from Professionals”