Mike's Trainer Thread Forum

Special forum where professionals are encouraged to help law school applicants, students, and graduates.
TheMostDangerousLG

Gold

Re: Introducing The LSAT Trainer

Post by TheMostDangerousLG » Tue May 14, 2013 9:05 pm

The site looks great, and I'm seriously interested in the book. Would you mind posting the full table of contents, please? I'm only able to see the first page in the Amazon preview.

The LSAT Trainer

Silver

Post by The LSAT Trainer » Tue May 14, 2013 9:42 pm

Glad you like it! -- let me ask you a question that may be potentially embarrassing for me -- is there a way to post PDFs or images (not urls) on here? If so, I'm afraid I can't figure it out -- help :) -- if not, I'll go ahead and copy and paste the list in a post.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Tue May 14, 2013 9:44 pm

The LSAT Trainer wrote:Glad you like it! -- let me ask you a question that may be potentially embarrassing for me -- is there a way to post PDFs or images (not urls) on here? If so, I'm afraid I can't figure it out -- help :) -- if not, I'll go ahead and copy and paste the list in a post.
snapshot the pdf - upload to imgur.com - post the forum link (the one with IMG at the beginning and end)

The LSAT Trainer

Silver

Post by The LSAT Trainer » Tue May 14, 2013 9:51 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
The LSAT Trainer wrote:Glad you like it! -- let me ask you a question that may be potentially embarrassing for me -- is there a way to post PDFs or images (not urls) on here? If so, I'm afraid I can't figure it out -- help :) -- if not, I'll go ahead and copy and paste the list in a post.
snapshot the pdf - upload to imgur.com - post the forum link (the one with IMG at the beginning and end)
thanks -- I wish I had known about this this morning-- let's see if I can make it work -- don't make fun of me if I screw up -- mk

http://i.imgur.com/7FjiNFU.jpg

I give up trying to post the image -- I keep getting a message "you cannot use certain bbcodes -- hopefully the link above works for everyone -- if someone knows how to help me -- thanks in advance -- mk
Last edited by The LSAT Trainer on Tue May 14, 2013 10:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Tue May 14, 2013 9:54 pm

after you upload copy directly below these words:
Linked BBCode (message boards)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lsatkid007

Bronze

Post by lsatkid007 » Tue May 14, 2013 10:36 pm

The LSAT Trainer wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:
thanks -- I wish I had known about this this morning-- let's see if I can make it work -- don't make fun of me if I screw up -- mk

I give up trying to post the image -- I keep getting a message "you cannot use certain bbcodes -- hopefully the link above works for everyone -- if someone knows how to help me -- thanks in advance -- mk
I like it.

TheMostDangerousLG

Gold

Post by TheMostDangerousLG » Tue May 14, 2013 10:50 pm

The LSAT Trainer wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:

That's perfect, thanks!

Ooo, I seriously, seriously want a copy of this book. Been reading through the lessons posted on the site, and this already appears to be superior material. A lot of in-depth ideas, subtle concepts, and common sense tips not discussed in other prep books (and I've read just about all of them).

I'm currently fighting the urge to clear out my sad bank account so I can get a copy of this and go through it by June. And I had promised myself I was done with prep books (damn you!). :shock:

The LSAT Trainer

Silver

Post by The LSAT Trainer » Wed May 15, 2013 1:43 am

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:
The LSAT Trainer wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:

That's perfect, thanks!

Ooo, I seriously, seriously want a copy of this book. Been reading through the lessons posted on the site, and this already appears to be superior material. A lot of in-depth ideas, subtle concepts, and common sense tips not discussed in other prep books (and I've read just about all of them).

I'm currently fighting the urge to clear out my sad bank account so I can get a copy of this and go through it by June. And I had promised myself I was done with prep books (damn you!). :shock:
ha!

let me ask you this -- if you could pay $50 for an extra point on the LSAT, would you do it? what do you think the odds are that my book will help you pick up at least one point?

Thanks for the comments -- even if you don't end up picking up the book, I hope you find all the free tools useful -- MK

LSAT Hacks (Graeme)

Bronze

Post by LSAT Hacks (Graeme) » Wed May 15, 2013 11:22 am

The LSAT Trainer wrote: ha!

let me ask you this -- if you could pay $50 for an extra point on the LSAT, would you do it? what do you think the odds are that my book will help you pick up at least one point?

Thanks for the comments -- even if you don't end up picking up the book, I hope you find all the free tools useful -- MK
As someone who sells LSAT materials, I obviously have a bias in endorsing this advice, but it's very good advice.

There's two types of spending: consumption and investment. Spending $50 on movies and food and drinks is fun, but get you nothing in the long run. Buying this book, if it works even a little bit, could earn you tens of thousands of dollars in the long run. Higher scholarships, higher salary from a better school, etc.

This applies to any LSAT prep material you think will make a difference.

You have an inbuilt sense that says 'that's expensive!' when you see anything that costs more than X dollars. This is GREAT reasoning when you're considering consuming something.

But when you're considering investing in the future, you have to ask a different question: will this make me money?

I face this question all the time in my business activities. I have no problem spending $300 on something if I feel sure it will earn me $100. In many ways, a book like this is an even better investment. I find it very hard to believe it wouldn't earn you at least it's cover price in long run potential earnings.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

laxbrah420

Gold

Post by laxbrah420 » Wed May 15, 2013 12:57 pm

You can also resell it when you're done

TheMostDangerousLG

Gold

Post by TheMostDangerousLG » Wed May 15, 2013 1:50 pm

Bit the bullet. Looking forward to reading!

lsatkid007

Bronze

Post by lsatkid007 » Wed May 15, 2013 1:56 pm

Yo me too.

objection_your_honor

Silver

Post by objection_your_honor » Wed May 15, 2013 1:58 pm

Based on that table of contents, I also just bought the book. Not sure if my time is best spent on anything but PTs at this point, being so close to the test. I guess I can make that call after at least browsing through it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Wed May 15, 2013 3:10 pm

Graeme (Hacking the LSAT) wrote:Buying this book, if it works even a little bit, could earn you tens of thousands of dollars in the long run. Higher scholarships, higher salary from a better school, etc.
try millions based on his previous body of work for MLSAT

wtrc

Gold

Post by wtrc » Wed May 15, 2013 3:15 pm

Mike: This looks really great. I wish it was out a few months ago!

I take the LSAT in 3.5 weeks (with a few other posters that have bought this on the thread). Would you recommend buying this even though the LSAT is so soon (I assume yes). If so, why? Thanks!

The LSAT Trainer

Silver

Post by The LSAT Trainer » Wed May 15, 2013 3:42 pm

wtrcoins3 wrote:Mike: This looks really great. I wish it was out a few months ago!

I take the LSAT in 3.5 weeks (with a few other posters that have bought this on the thread). Would you recommend buying this even though the LSAT is so soon (I assume yes). If so, why? Thanks!
Ha -- yes, I would recommend it -- how could you guess?

Obviously, I don't think it will have the same type of impact that it would have if you used it from the beginning, coupled with one of the study schedules (which give you matching drill sets of o.g. q's to practice and such)--

However, I do think it will be useful both in terms of helping you develop a stronger big picture understanding of the test as a whole, and in terms of helping you address certain specific weaknesses.

In terms of the big picture understanding...

I remember when I went to buy my Prius (which I TOTALLY REGRET BTW), I looked inside the hood, and asked the salesman where the transmission was. And he told me there was no transmission (I had, to this point, spent thousands of dollars on transmission work on junky used cars throughout my life) -- this blew my mind and changed how I thought about how cars work.

In writing this book, I really started from ground zero in order to try and design a new, more cohesive big picture understanding of what the LSAT is all about. The "no transmission" moment is going to come for a lot of you when you realize that my book has no game categories. (I imagine the novelty of that will invariably bring out some skeptics, but I am certain that it was the right decision to make.) I am a big believer in the importance of a strong big picture understanding -- I think it influences everything you do and every instinct you have. I think a lot of LSAT books are written by the very same people who create remote controls -- they reflect the interests of the maker, not the user, and they don't help you organize or differentiate the more important from the less. My book really emphasizes the big picture, and I think the view it shows will most definitely help make you a wiser test taker.

At the other extreme are specific issues -- your ability to accurately handle complex compound conditional statements, for example, or your ability to differentiate the supporting evidence from the background -- I've broken down the test in terms of these little skills that you have to have, and I've created drills to help you specifically address them. I think these drills can be really useful for rounding out your skill set at the end of your studies.

I hope that doesn't sound like too much of a sales pitch, and I hope you find it useful -- feel free to write here or pm if you have any follow up questions.

tuffyjohnson

Bronze

Post by tuffyjohnson » Wed May 15, 2013 4:05 pm

Okay, so you're the guy who is the brains behind the very excellent MLSAT LR book I just read? Now I'm interested.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

EEguy5

New

Post by EEguy5 » Wed May 15, 2013 6:11 pm

Any chance you will be releasing a kindle version?

The LSAT Trainer

Silver

Post by The LSAT Trainer » Wed May 15, 2013 7:36 pm

EEguy5 wrote:Any chance you will be releasing a kindle version?
It's coming, but it's going to be a few weeks (I'd estimate 3 - 5) -

MK

Balthy

Silver

Post by Balthy » Wed May 15, 2013 8:12 pm

The LSAT Trainer wrote: http://i.imgur.com/7FjiNFU.jpg

Great effin' quote on that contents page.

Blair89

New

Post by Blair89 » Thu May 16, 2013 12:46 am

This looks awesome Mike, the free chapters were a great read, I already have all 3 of the manhattan books. Hoping June goes well enough that I don't need to buy this one.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

The LSAT Trainer

Silver

Post by The LSAT Trainer » Thu May 16, 2013 1:03 am

Blair89 wrote:This looks awesome Mike, the free chapters were a great read, I already have all 3 of the manhattan books. Hoping June goes well enough that I don't need to buy this one.
thanks so much! -- I appreciate it -- best of luck in June.

Gamine

New

Post by Gamine » Thu May 16, 2013 5:31 am

I'm so going to invest in this book at the end of the month. I just saw it on Amazon UK. How very exciting!!

John_rizzy_rawls

Gold

Post by John_rizzy_rawls » Thu May 16, 2013 5:31 am

Tag.

Drewkapper

New

Post by Drewkapper » Thu May 16, 2013 5:05 pm

Just ordered a copy. Looking forward to receiving it on Monday.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Free Help and Advice from Professionals”