DC BigLaw Bar? Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

DC BigLaw Bar?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:38 am

Alright, help me game this out. I'll be joining DC BigLaw after I graduate (rising 3L), and in the medium-to-long term I have dreams of being in the NY or CA markets. What bar should I take?

1. What is the upshot of taking the DC vs. MD bar? I've heard most people waive into DC with MD / VA, but that the former is easier / has fewer requirements, but I wondered why people wouldn't just sit in DC.

2. If waiving is the route, what is there to recommend just taking CA instead of MD / VA and getting it out of the way?

3. I already have a near-perfect MPRE score but *really* don't want to take a gunner-filled curve PR class that I have no interest in during 3L. Does that mean I'm SOL for sitting for the NY bar and waiving in that way?

Anonymous User

Re: DC BigLaw Bar?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:38 am
Alright, help me game this out. I'll be joining DC BigLaw after I graduate (rising 3L), and in the medium-to-long term I have dreams of being in the NY or CA markets. What bar should I take?
Out of curiosity, why are you starting in DC? Did you go to school in DC? It's a more competitive biglaw market in many ways, at least compared to NY, so I am curious as to why you did not just go to NY (or CA) directly.

1. What is the upshot of taking the DC vs. MD bar? I've heard most people waive into DC with MD / VA, but that the former is easier / has fewer requirements, but I wondered why people wouldn't just sit in DC.
DC is incredibly easy. You need to take the bar exam, pass C&F, and graduate from an ABA-approved law school. That's pretty much it. No state (well, federal enclave) supplement, no pro bono requirement, no bells and whistles.

gotCentred

New

Post by gotCentred » Tue Oct 18, 2022 5:42 pm

If you anticipate going to another UBE market, I think it makes sense to take whatever bar you would need there and transferring your UBE to DC. It looks like CA is not a UBE state (and I have heard it is among the toughest bars) so that would not be a straightforward transfer.

I moved from NY to DC about 2 years after starting and it was mostly painless, the only really annoying part is re-doing C&F. I think people often take MD or VA for convenience in testing location or because they are from there, or just to collect another state because they can, but there is no tangible bonus if you plan to practice in DC only (i.e., the office is there). There potentially could be implications if you work from home very often in one of those states but I have not investigated that.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 31, 2022 9:12 pm

OP. Had bad info before, since MBE transfers into DC are no longer allowed. I think that kills VA and CA.

Since I don't want to take PR, that kills NY.

Since I don't want to take a supplement, that kills MD.

Unless I'm missing something, the ideal thing is to not get too cute and just take the DC bar?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”