Foreign-licensed attorney taking the CA Bar Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Foreign-licensed attorney taking the CA Bar

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:06 pm

Hi, I am a foreign-licensed attorney who's considering taking the CA Bar exam in July 2023. I have done some research about how I should prepare for the exams but I read somewhere that foreign lawyer candidates are not required to learn and recite case law or statutory provisions. Hence, I am thinking that most of the tips I've read may not be applicable to me. Is that really the case? and if so, is there a specific set of exam questions that are only given to foreign applicants?

I have just emailed Themis Bar and have yet to hear news if they offer bar reviews for this specific type of exam.

As of now, the plan is to:
1. Start review with Themis in May 2022
2. Take the CA Bar exam in July 2023
3. Take the MPRE in August 2023

I am planning on studying just the materials that Themis would provide and nothing else. Would this be a good idea? Also, wouldn't more than 15 months be too long of a preparation?

Just in case it would interest you. Back in the country where I took the bar, we had to literally read the book we first picked up in 1L up to the last book we read in 4L during 6-month review. Then we supplemented that with the materials provided by review centers (Themis or Barbri equivalent). About an hour before we enter the bar exam center on exam day, there are these called "last-minute tips" that we get from student organizations. You might then ask if going through all these materials was unnecessary. I would say, I (or any lawyer I know) would have passed the exam in our first take if we did anything less than that.

Our bar exam is conducted once a year, for a period of 1 month, during the four weekends. That makes it 8 days of exam, from 8am to 5pm each. About 95% (about 30 to 40 questions per day) of the exam is essay and answers are handwritten. Then we have to wait about 5 months for the result. An average of 20% of the 8,000 candidates passes the bar.

Here I am again hoping to survive the review and pass another bar exam, CA this time.

Antetrust

New

Re: Foreign-licensed attorney taking the CA Bar

Post by Antetrust » Fri May 27, 2022 5:56 pm

I don't know anything about foreign-lawyer requirements or exemptions, but I think 15 months is way more time than you need. Most people study hard for about 3 months, and pass rates are significantly higher than 20%. Of course, people take the bar exam after 3 years of schooling that teaches primarily US law.

Regarding Themis, everyone I know who used it to prep for the bar has given excellent reviews. Last year's graduating class from my school had ~93% pass rate with Themis; the pass rate for those who completed at least 75% of the Themis course was 100%. I have no idea if or how many people used materials other than whatever bar prep course they purchased.

As for the MPRE, a lot of people just cram study for a week and pass. You only need something like 55% correct to pass.

Where did you take the bar exam previously? Your experiences sound horrible, and I don't envy you for having to go through all that. On the bright side, you will probably find the CA bar exam "easy" by comparison. Of course, still put in the work to study and learn the law.

Ellia

New

Post by Ellia » Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:22 am

I have the same situation. Foreign lawyer with so many questions. Would like to take the Cal bar in July 2023.
I've just started searching about registration and documents for bar. Still not sure what documents they need from me.

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:06 pm
Hi, I am a foreign-licensed attorney who's considering taking the CA Bar exam in July 2023. I have done some research about how I should prepare for the exams but I read somewhere that foreign lawyer candidates are not required to learn and recite case law or statutory provisions. Hence, I am thinking that most of the tips I've read may not be applicable to me. Is that really the case? and if so, is there a specific set of exam questions that are only given to foreign applicants?

I have just emailed Themis Bar and have yet to hear news if they offer bar reviews for this specific type of exam.

As of now, the plan is to:
1. Start review with Themis in May 2022
2. Take the CA Bar exam in July 2023
3. Take the MPRE in August 2023

I am planning on studying just the materials that Themis would provide and nothing else. Would this be a good idea? Also, wouldn't more than 15 months be too long of a preparation?

Just in case it would interest you. Back in the country where I took the bar, we had to literally read the book we first picked up in 1L up to the last book we read in 4L during 6-month review. Then we supplemented that with the materials provided by review centers (Themis or Barbri equivalent). About an hour before we enter the bar exam center on exam day, there are these called "last-minute tips" that we get from student organizations. You might then ask if going through all these materials was unnecessary. I would say, I (or any lawyer I know) would have passed the exam in our first take if we did anything less than that.

Our bar exam is conducted once a year, for a period of 1 month, during the four weekends. That makes it 8 days of exam, from 8am to 5pm each. About 95% (about 30 to 40 questions per day) of the exam is essay and answers are handwritten. Then we have to wait about 5 months for the result. An average of 20% of the 8,000 candidates passes the bar.

Here I am again hoping to survive the review and pass another bar exam, CA this time.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:38 pm

Give yourself as much time as you need. The bar passage rates for foreign-trained lawyers are around 50% for New York and likely similar or worse in California. If you start early, you can get to where you need to be and coast with little stress. Themis and Barbri will give you enough material to keep you working productively for the year.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”