lack of candor? overthinking? Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

lack of candor? overthinking?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:24 pm

on my law school personal statement, i talked about my depression.

i state in my PS that I "struggle with" depression, and later also state I am in "full control" and give examples of my personal and professional accomplishments. I was attempting to illustrate how my disease has not held me back.

anyways, for C&F, although I do NOT believe my depression in any way would affect me being able to act ethically, competently, or professionally, I am going to disclose it, my doctor will sign their note that says I'm fine, etc. i dont care about that. however, my depression has led to relationship problems and some prescription drug misuse (not overdosing, just taking too much since I Feel shitty), because I have my ups and downs.

I guess what I am worried about is, although my PS explicitly says "I struggle with" depression, I don't want them to think by me then saying I'm in "full control" means I should thus never have any depression-related issues, thus was less than truthful. I simply meant (as evidenced by my resume) and wanted to convey for PS purposes that I've overcome adversity. If i wasn't in control I'd be in bed all day every day. But I push every day and keep moving, resulting in a HYS acceptance.

does this make sense? maybe im overthinking.

Anonymous User

Re: lack of candor? overthinking?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 10, 2022 1:07 am

You're overthinking. A lot of people talk about depression, anxiety, eating disorder, etc. in the personal statement. (Many high-achiever perfectionist types have these issues.) If you have an HYS acceptance, you probably have a high GPA and have done substantive coursework. That shows that you are diligent, committed, and able to see things through. Don't worry about it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:56 pm

Statistically, about half of lawyers have depression/anxiety/substance abuse issues. That alone does not prevent someone from passing the bar.

You can struggle with depression but still be functional. You can have depression and still be able to ethically and competently practice law.

If you're going to be really nitpicky, maybe consider not using the phrase "full control." Because, really, when are we in full control of anything? I would just say that you are managing it and it is treated/you have gotten help and you have the appropriate coping skills. I disclosed a similar issue for C and F, using that phrasing, and was told I had no need to disclose. They were really nice about it. To me, the phrase "full control" seems like you're selling it a bit too hard/protesting it too much (but again, that is being suuuuuuper nitpicky).

ETA: looks like you used the phrase "full control" in your personal statement" ONLY. I would not use this phrasing in C and F. Trust me when I say that they are understanding people for the most part--especially about mental health (someone I know who had multiple speeding tickets, a bit less so, haha).

Also, C and F is not going to know what you wrote your personal statement about, nor the contents line for line. Something can have had an impact on you, even if you're not in that situation anymore.

And yes, I know how hard it is not to worry, even when someone says "don't worry, you're fine."

Sending you a hug.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:55 pm

OP Here. yeah, just in my PS. while also stating I struggle with it. it was in the context of overcoming adversity and proving to myself I can do things (junior college - > masters degree, prestigious employment, perfect GPA, etc).

thanks for the hug. it gets hard but we keep on dont we.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”