I Have Passed the Bar but I have a Unique Situation I need Guidance on Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
UniqueBarAdmission

New

I Have Passed the Bar but I have a Unique Situation I need Guidance on

Post by UniqueBarAdmission » Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:16 pm

Hi all. I am a 2018 law school graduate who, unfortunately, did not pass the bar until February 2020. I left the firm I worked at for two years after I passed the bar and I was hired as in-house counsel at a company. On my resume, I made it clear that, although I had passed the bar, I was still awaiting admission, and also made this clear throughout my interview process.

Here is where I know I have screwed up - upon being hired, I have now delayed applying to the bar for nearly a year. As all my work is still under the supervision of barred attorneys and flows through attorneys, I thought the "law clerk" protection firms do still applied, so did not feel the pressure to complete and submit my application quickly. Even if that protection does apply, however, I fully own and admit this was a mistake, and my situation is of my own making. I have no idea why I didn't just submit and get this over with. I want to take the proper steps to correct this while hopefully not getting myself fired, denied for bar admission, or both. Does anyone have any guidance on the proper next steps to take here to make sure everything is as above-board as possible to correct this? I just want to submit, get admitted, and move on with my life and am now stressing wondering if I have potentially ruined my career.

AAPLTSLADIS

New

Re: I Have Passed the Bar but I have a Unique Situation I need Guidance on

Post by AAPLTSLADIS » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:36 am

UniqueBarAdmission wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:16 pm
Hi all. I am a 2018 law school graduate who, unfortunately, did not pass the bar until February 2020. I left the firm I worked at for two years after I passed the bar and I was hired as in-house counsel at a company. On my resume, I made it clear that, although I had passed the bar, I was still awaiting admission, and also made this clear throughout my interview process.

Here is where I know I have screwed up - upon being hired, I have now delayed applying to the bar for nearly a year. As all my work is still under the supervision of barred attorneys and flows through attorneys, I thought the "law clerk" protection firms do still applied, so did not feel the pressure to complete and submit my application quickly. Even if that protection does apply, however, I fully own and admit this was a mistake, and my situation is of my own making. I have no idea why I didn't just submit and get this over with. I want to take the proper steps to correct this while hopefully not getting myself fired, denied for bar admission, or both. Does anyone have any guidance on the proper next steps to take here to make sure everything is as above-board as possible to correct this? I just want to submit, get admitted, and move on with my life and am now stressing wondering if I have potentially ruined my career.
I would find a C&F attorney to advise you. You might have an unauthorized practice of law (UPL) issue. It might make sense to be upfront about that in the app, rather than them pointing it out to you.

Kalani111

New

Post by Kalani111 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:33 pm

A couple of questions. Was it clear that you would be hired as an attorney once you were barred or were you just hired as in-house counsel before you were barred? This is strange.

Did the firm ever ask you if you got your license? If no, this makes me believe you could be doing clerk work and there may not be a problem.

I too would contact a C&F attorney.

michre1989

New

Post by michre1989 » Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:22 am

Hi, I know someone who was in a similar situation. You will be Ok but the important thing is to disclose as much as possible, own up to any mistakes you made in this scenario and promise to be more diligent in the future. As long as you are upfront about it, your career will not be ruined.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”