MPT woes. Should I start studying soon for Feb Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
TWERP34

New

MPT woes. Should I start studying soon for Feb

Post by TWERP34 » Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:54 am

Hello all,

I, like many others, took the bar last week and wake up everyday feeling as if I failed. However, I believe I have some serious cause for concern..The first MPT I "finished" and by "finished" I mean I had an extremely brief and abrupt finish. The second MPT was a disaster. An emergency occurred that made me essentially miss 15 minutes and I had to delete things at the end that I wished to talk about. I did not include an overall conclusion and I only answered a sub-part very briefly in a few sentences because I ran out of time. Long-story short...is all hope lost? I am bummed because I studied damn hard and did over 4,000 MBEs and at least outlined every essay and MPT Themis threw my way. I was averaging 80% correct overall on Themis and 78% overall correct on Uworld. Just looking to see if I should start studying soon for February or if there is still hope.

Thanks y'all

CiscoFlow

New

Re: MPT woes. Should I start studying soon for Feb

Post by CiscoFlow » Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:20 am

Pretty much everyone who took the July 2021 bar exam had a similar reaction. It was hard.

I'm a practising attorney, but I had to take the test because I am moving states. Overall, my best guess is that I passed, but I struggled with both the MBE and the MEE. Also, my computer crashed twice because of Examplify problems.

I recommend taking a look at this thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/barexam/commen ... july_2021/. There are some other good explanations out there, but unfortunately I didn't bookmark them. My recollection is that based on previous data, if you achieve an average result in the MBE, then you only need to hit the 20th percentile (i.e., a score that is no worse than 80% of the other test takers) in the MEE/MPT to pass the bar. So you should be fine, even based on your MPT experience, if you performed somewhere near the expected level on the MBE. Also, this applies vica versa; i.e., if you achieve an average score in the MEE/MPT, then you only need to be above the 20th percentile for the MBE.

Joe has a free calculator that estimates your odds of passing the exam based on some fairly extensive data: https://www.seperac.com/zcalc-mbe-febjuly.php. Based on what you've told us, my guess is that you have a strong chance of passing.

I wouldn't begin studying yet for the Feb 2022 bar exam. Just try your best to forget it and move on. Even if your worst fears are realised (which sounds really unlikely), based on what you've told us, you won't need to change too much to pass the next exam.

Kalani111

New

Post by Kalani111 » Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:19 pm

I bombed the MPTs in 2017 and still passed. There is plenty of hope.

SilvermanBarPrep

Bronze

Post by SilvermanBarPrep » Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:42 pm

First, for sure there's hope! Next, it's quite difficult to study until you know if you'll need to. I've tutored the bar for a long time and I know many who have tried this, but often the studying only really begins once it's known that the test has to be re-taken. It's just a psychological thing; it's very difficult to dedicate the time when there's a question if that's a waste.

I just wish they'd release scores sooner to avoid this problem.

Sean (Silverman Bar Exam Tutoring)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”