Bar exam (remote) vs. Normal Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Jyeatbvg

New

Bar exam (remote) vs. Normal

Post by Jyeatbvg » Tue May 18, 2021 9:51 pm

Hi everyone, I'll be sitting the UBE in July and was hoping to get a sense of how the new, remote method differs from previous, in-person versions. Previous versions were closed book, but with the new remote method, couldn't someone just have their notes right beside them? Are there any tips for those completing the UBE remotely as opposed to before?

nixy

Gold

Re: Bar exam (remote) vs. Normal

Post by nixy » Wed May 19, 2021 12:06 am

My understanding is that for at least some bar exams you have to install software giving the examiners access to your laptop/computer camera, which you have to leave on throughout the exam to counter any possible cheating (and if you got up in the middle of the exam and weren't visible on camera your score would be voided). No idea how widespread that was though, or if that's completely accurate (no personal experience on my part).

Wubbles

Bronze

Re: Bar exam (remote) vs. Normal

Post by Wubbles » Wed May 19, 2021 12:25 am

nixy wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 12:06 am
My understanding is that for at least some bar exams you have to install software giving the examiners access to your laptop/computer camera, which you have to leave on throughout the exam to counter any possible cheating (and if you got up in the middle of the exam and weren't visible on camera your score would be voided). No idea how widespread that was though, or if that's completely accurate (no personal experience on my part).
This is correct for all but a few of the non-UBE exams offered last summer. OP, you'll be recorded through your camera and mic, and eye tracking software will be monitoring your activity. If you get flagged by the software as potentially cheating, a human will review the footage and if you are deemed to have broken the rules your score will be cancelled and you could be prevented from being barred in the future. I would recommend getting used to sitting still and looking directly at the screen. I took the October exam which was different and half the length, but I would make sure to practice using the software for the MEE and MPT sections, especially the MPT, if they have not changed the software. It was pretty bad. Otherwise, MBE is exactly the same and MEE is mostly the same as in-person.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”