THEMIS - AVOID IT Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
FND

Bronze

THEMIS - AVOID IT

Post by FND » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:04 pm

I've been using Themis for the past 3 weeks, and so far I've had 4 occasions where I was unable to study because of technical issues. Basically, I'd finish a scheduled task, but Themis won't let me start the next tasks.

Spend your money elsewhere

CovidLurker

New

Re: THEMIS - AVOID IT

Post by CovidLurker » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:17 pm

Counterpoint: I, along with thousands of people each year, used Themis couple of years ago without any issues. My general thought on this debate is if your firm reimburses you - use Barbri. If your firm gives you a stipend - use Themis.

Edit: grammar

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:28 am

Yeah, I'm struggling to see how this is a Themis issue if you're the only user experiencing technical issues. That usually points to a problem specific to your system. It's certainly not a reason to post an angry Yelp review on a site that is definitely not Yelp.

Also, if I remember correctly, can't you basically turn off the "schedule" and access any non-practice-test content at all times?

FND

Bronze

Post by FND » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:23 pm

it's not a technical issue on my end. And there are some workarounds. But let me explain the problem in a bit more detail.

Themis prepares a course schedule based on when you start studying, and adapts based on your progress.
As an example, it may recommend watching 8 videos on Torts on Monday, 8 more on Tuesday, a Torts Assessment on Wednesday, Torts Practice Questions on Thursday, and a Torts Exam on Friday.

On Monday, Themis will have locked you out of taking the Torts assessment, as it doesn't make sense to take the assessment before finishing the workaround. The problem is, if on Tuesday after watching the videos I decide to take the assessment, it's still locked. Or if I plow through and watch all the videos on Monday, it won't let me take the assessment on Monday - it will be so kind as to change the day to unlock the assessment, but it always requires at least one day before you can get there.

I work full time, so I don't study the same set number of hours every day - some days I do more, some I do less. I'm trying to follow the schedule Themis provided, but I keep getting stuck waiting for a particular piece to unlock. Rght now, I'm more frustrated with Themis than with the content I should be learning.
[+] Spoiler
I also had a technical issue where Themis wasn't registering that I had completed certain tasks. when I reached out to their IT, they acknowledged that it was a technical problem on their end. One technical problem I don't mind, but, bad design where I keep getting stuck is a different matter

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:57 am

Ok, so you're complaining about the program design/pedagogy, not a technical issue. There are a number of reasons (I'd even go so far as to say that there are a number of good reasons) to force you to wait a day before taking an assessment on material you just learned. But you're not locked out of the rest of the program, right? You can work on flashcards, practice sets, etc. You just can't do one specific element of the prep.

And while this is clearly something you find inconvenient, it seems more than a little harsh to say that everyone should now avoid Themis because of your very context-specific issue with the course. The overwhelming majority of people using Themis are not working full-time during the program, so they'll never encounter this particular issue. I also have no idea whether Barbri takes a similar approach.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Fireworks2016

Bronze

Post by Fireworks2016 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:05 am

Counter-point: Themis is like half the price of Barbri (and less if you get the public interest rate), and it will absolutely prepare you to pass whatever bar you're taking.

I know it seems like this is a big deal to you now, but you'll look back after the bar and realize that it was not.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:43 am

Pretty sure Barbri also only opened certain things up on a specific schedule as well (though I took the bar a while ago now and I’m sure everything is different now).

FND

Bronze

Post by FND » Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:04 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:57 am
Ok, so you're complaining about the program design/pedagogy, not a technical issue. There are a number of reasons (I'd even go so far as to say that there are a number of good reasons) to force you to wait a day before taking an assessment on material you just learned. But you're not locked out of the rest of the program, right? You can work on flashcards, practice sets, etc. You just can't do one specific element of the prep.

And while this is clearly something you find inconvenient, it seems more than a little harsh to say that everyone should now avoid Themis because of your very context-specific issue with the course. The overwhelming majority of people using Themis are not working full-time during the program, so they'll never encounter this particular issue. I also have no idea whether Barbri takes a similar approach.
yeah, you're right. Can you please edit the title and/or lock the thread?
I just got particularly annoyed (again) and lashed out.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”