Taking bar exam for 3rd time Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
stevett1287

New

Taking bar exam for 3rd time

Post by stevett1287 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:43 pm

I am going to have to take the bar exam (UBE) for a 3rd time and I wanted to get any feedback on 2 questions. First, my exam will now be remote in February. The first 2 times I took it, it was live. So do you think it being remote will put me at a disadvantage or give me an advantage compared to the other 2 times I took it? I heard that the Florida results were worse when they just had a remote exam - is why I'm a little concerned. Second, I'm going to use a new course to study for the exam and I am open to any feedback on that. I took Barbri both times so far and my scores were virtually unchanged. I'm not blaming Barbri but it obviously didn't work for me. A good friend of mine who had failed before - he used Marino Retaker Course last year and he passed, so I am considering that for sure. I hear a lot of really good things online about Ameribar but I don't know anyone who has actually taken it. There's always Themis, which seems to have a good reputation, and is more affordable than Barbri was, but from what I hear it might be too similar to just doing Barbri again, which didn't work.

Lawman1865

Bronze

Re: Taking bar exam for 3rd time

Post by Lawman1865 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:24 pm

stevett1287 wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:43 pm
I am going to have to take the bar exam (UBE) for a 3rd time and I wanted to get any feedback on 2 questions. First, my exam will now be remote in February. The first 2 times I took it, it was live. So do you think it being remote will put me at a disadvantage or give me an advantage compared to the other 2 times I took it? I heard that the Florida results were worse when they just had a remote exam - is why I'm a little concerned. Second, I'm going to use a new course to study for the exam and I am open to any feedback on that. I took Barbri both times so far and my scores were virtually unchanged. I'm not blaming Barbri but it obviously didn't work for me. A good friend of mine who had failed before - he used Marino Retaker Course last year and he passed, so I am considering that for sure. I hear a lot of really good things online about Ameribar but I don't know anyone who has actually taken it. There's always Themis, which seems to have a good reputation, and is more affordable than Barbri was, but from what I hear it might be too similar to just doing Barbri again, which didn't work.
Good luck on the third time! It's important to stay motivated, all you need it to pass and then put this exam in your rearview (subject to moving to a specific state I suppose).

I agree that Themis is very similar in it's teaching style so I would not go that route, although it worked for me when I took the bar exam. I know "Adaptibar" was a great resource for somebody I knew who took it and passed in Florida, and it was a popular tool around his FL law school. I would also consider investing in flash cards if that's a way to help you learn, although I know some people who didn't really love them.

SilvermanBarPrep

Bronze

Re: Taking bar exam for 3rd time

Post by SilvermanBarPrep » Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:34 pm

I don't know enough about the various courses to opine on that other than to say that I've heard good things from my students about Marino over the years. Seems to be a bit more personalized since I assume it has fewer students than some of the other bigger companies. Themis is also a good choice especially if looking to save a bit of money.

As for your first question, definitely not at a disadvantage! Just be sure to prep for the test you're taking. For example, I'd often recommend certain books but if a student will be taking the test online I'd prefer they practice with a program like Adaptibar. You don't want to practice on paper if the day of the test you'll be reading questions on a computer.

The toughest part about this next exam is going to be the 200 MBE questions on the computer. This will be the first time that's happened so we'll see how bad it actually is, but it's going to be a grind! Just practice knowing you'll ultimately be faced with that (the test will be 4 quarters of 50 questions each).

Sean (Silverman Bar Exam Tutoring)

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”