New York Admissions - Legal Employment Affidavits Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
kangaroo430

New

New York Admissions - Legal Employment Affidavits

Post by kangaroo430 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:42 pm

So I'm applying for admissions in NY (3rd dept). And little did I know having too many internship/part-time legal jobs during law school is hurting me now - hunting down these former employers has been a nightmare as most cannot be reached via phone and will not respond in email.

My question is: for the legal employment affidavits, do they have to mail the physical copy back to me, or would online signature (photocopy for me to print out) work? Thank you very much in advance!

jaekeem

New

Re: New York Admissions - Legal Employment Affidavits

Post by jaekeem » Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:53 pm

pretty sure they have to be hard signatures, unfortunately. no scans. it's kind of weird though, because when I submitted this summer I was allowed to submit through a scan of all my documents. so you may want to call them and confirm.

kangaroo430

New

Post by kangaroo430 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:06 pm

jaekeem wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:53 pm
pretty sure they have to be hard signatures, unfortunately. no scans. it's kind of weird though, because when I submitted this summer I was allowed to submit through a scan of all my documents. so you may want to call them and confirm.
Yeah let me call...I'm just tired of asking them for it and them not replying, and I'd imagine it would take them weeks to remember "oh I have to mail this to him lul whatever"

Lawman1865

Bronze

Post by Lawman1865 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:10 am

kangaroo430 wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:06 pm
jaekeem wrote:
Yeah let me call...I'm just tired of asking them for it and them not replying, and I'd imagine it would take them weeks to remember "oh I have to mail this to him lul whatever"
Yes asking may be a good idea. With Coronavirus, I know they've relaxed some rules regarding the physical signature/mailing requirements, particularly for supplemental information.

As far as asking for these affirmations, usually others in the legal profession understand the necessity of quick responses for bar applicants (although of course, it's always good to ask early). Just in general, I think politely mentioning that you are "planning on submitting my application on ___" can give them a good idea of when they need to respond. All of my work affirmations responded within a week or two and I sent one reminder email after a couple weeks to one of them and they were quick to get me what I needed afterwards.

Good luck, crazy times.

kangaroo430

New

Post by kangaroo430 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:36 pm

Lawman1865 wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:10 am
kangaroo430 wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:06 pm
jaekeem wrote:
Yes asking may be a good idea. With Coronavirus, I know they've relaxed some rules regarding the physical signature/mailing requirements, particularly for supplemental information.

As far as asking for these affirmations, usually others in the legal profession understand the necessity of quick responses for bar applicants (although of course, it's always good to ask early). Just in general, I think politely mentioning that you are "planning on submitting my application on ___" can give them a good idea of when they need to respond. All of my work affirmations responded within a week or two and I sent one reminder email after a couple weeks to one of them and they were quick to get me what I needed afterwards.

Good luck, crazy times.
Thank you. Yeah I used to be have pretty good chemistry with them during work but it has been ages since I left.

For those who read this: I asked the 3rd Department and they said it's fine to have electronic ones (maybe just for this pandemic period).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:29 pm

One follow-up question: How should another attorney confirm solo practice if an applicant was not in a law firm and working by him/herself?

kangaroo430

New

Post by kangaroo430 » Sat Nov 06, 2021 4:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:29 pm
One follow-up question: How should another attorney confirm solo practice if an applicant was not in a law firm and working by him/herself?
Hey! Do you mean you were working as a solo practitioner before applying to another jurisdiction? I might be wrong on this: your tax auditor/accountant can prove it, and also your secretary - that's what I remembered reading long time ago..

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”