DC bar vs Illinois bar Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

DC bar vs Illinois bar

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 04, 2020 4:34 pm

Non-NY T14 3L going to NY biglaw, probably need to take the bar exam in another UBE jurisdiction and transfer score to NY.

Thinking of sitting on the exam in either DC or Illinois since I would like to get a license in either of them as well as NY. So...as a person who plans to work in private equity/investment management practice focused on cross-border transactions, which state would be better? Is one state noticeably more difficult to get barred than the other?

I know the late application fee for Illinois bar is huge but the firm will pay for that.

nealric

Re: DC bar vs Illinois bar

Post by nealric » Mon May 04, 2020 4:37 pm

I suppose it primarily comes down to where you could see yourself practicing. My understanding is DC has pretty liberal waiver laws (at least when I took the bar, DC would allow you to waive in with reasonably decent MBE score immediately after admission). That might be a reason to do Illinois if the firm will let you and you could see practicing in Chicago some day.

It's worth noting that, waive-in rules have gotten more liberal as time has gone on. It really may not matter all that much as you can generally waive in after 5 years of practice in most states.

Anonymous User

Re: DC bar vs Illinois bar

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 18, 2020 4:28 pm

Do Illinois. DC basically lets anyone waive in with a passing UBE score. Knocks out two birds with one stone.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”