2020 September California Bar Exam Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: 2020 September California Bar Exam

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:10 pm
law_underdog wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:38 pm
California usually requires attorneys to be in good standing (e.g.: licensed) for at least 4 years to be able to not take the MBE part of the exam.

In the October 2020 FAQ, they mention that attorney applicants will not have to take the MBE part of the exam, but not mention the 4 years requirement.

I assume they will treat all attorney applicants the same even if you just got licensed (like me in December of 2019).

Anyone knowing more about that?
I just called the California State Bar: they make a distinction between the attorney exam and an attorney applicant. The attorney exam is what you registered for if you have been practicing for 4 years or more. If you are an attorney applicant who has been practicing for less than 4 years, then you registered for the regular exam and are doing both essays and the MBE. The FAQ sheet could probably have been worded better, and they could have reminded people that you have to take both if you were under 4 years. Nevertheless, we would have to study for both sections.
Another distinction ——— those practicing for 4 or more years are *eligible* to take the Attorney Exam, but may opt to take the General (2-day) Exam if they wish. Those with less than 4-yrs must take the General.

persianprincess

New

Post by persianprincess » Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:33 pm

The bar admissions people said the date we find out if we passed hasn't been released yet but it should be mid-January. They said it will be released as we get closer to the test.

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:25 pm

persianprincess wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:33 pm
The bar admissions people said the date we find out if we passed hasn't been released yet but it should be mid-January. They said it will be released as we get closer to the test.

Sounds like it's unlikely that the next exam will be in February.

persianprincess

New

Post by persianprincess » Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:20 pm

a male human wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:25 pm
persianprincess wrote:

Yea.. we need two weeks to cry and another two months to study/figure out work/save money to take it again.. so... that should take us to beginning of April at least. But then that would affect July again so I dunno. Maybe hire more graders and get the results out right away? That'd be nice :)

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:31 pm

persianprincess wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:20 pm
a male human wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:25 pm
persianprincess wrote:

Yea.. we need two weeks to cry and another two months to study/figure out work/save money to take it again.. so... that should take us to beginning of April at least. But then that would affect July again so I dunno. Maybe hire more graders and get the results out right away? That'd be nice :)

Maybe the delays will slowly phase out, or maybe they'll make the official exam dates October and April going forward. The effects will linger for some time...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Heyall

New

Post by Heyall » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:50 am

Will anybody be taking their exam in their bedroom?

Is there any clarity on having your bed and blanket in the same room?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:48 pm

Heyall wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:50 am

I have been calling the state bar offfice for some clarity on this issue as well, no luck........

persianprincess

New

Post by persianprincess » Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:00 pm

Heyall wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:50 am

I'm taking it in my bedroom. Just putting a desk in there.. as I'm sure many people are. Why, are we not allowed to do that or something?

Heyall

New

Post by Heyall » Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:06 pm

The reason I asked is because I could have sworn that I saw a rule early on which said no blankets can be in the room. I could be mistaken, or maybe that was taken out.

Anyway, there was a letter last week from Law Deans urging the CA Court to make the Bar Exam open book. The Court said they'll consider it. Who knows. Hope it works.

https://taxprof.typepad.com/files/ca-de ... 091420.pdf

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cls1650

New

Post by cls1650 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:11 pm

Does anyone know if you're allowed to switch to taking the exam remotely if you've been approved to take it in person?

persianprincess

New

Post by persianprincess » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:19 pm

Heyall wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:06 pm
The reason I asked is because I could have sworn that I saw a rule early on which said no blankets can be in the room. I could be mistaken, or maybe that was taken out.

Anyway, there was a letter last week from Law Deans urging the CA Court to make the Bar Exam open book. The Court said they'll consider it. Who knows. Hope it works.

Ok so I called admissions and they are not too clear on it themselves... but they said if you're not going to be using the pillows then "just remove them to be safe I think." She said the bedspread "it's up to you".. and then I said just to be safe I guess I'll take that off too... and she said yea just to be safe you might want to. Then I said well most people will prob be taking it in their room and just put a desk in there and they won't think to call you guys about all this like I am right now, they'll prob all leave it.. and she was like yea I'm not sure.. so I dunno how that's going to work for everyone.. but I'm just going to throw all the pillows and bedspread out of the room myself I guess lol.

Open book... I'm all for that.. that's how they do it in real practice. It's insane to memorize this much stuff and regurgitate it back.. AND have such a high cut score if you forget one element or tiny distinction between CA and fed.. not a test of competency at all.. a test of who can memorize the best.. a test of who has photographic memory and who can type the fastest. Why not give us some extra time too? Like all the tons of people who lie to get accommodations get. If we know it (THAT MUCH INFO) that should be enough.. then you gotta twist it and trick us with the answer that sounds the same.. then give us barely enough time to write out our performance test. I didn't even finish the performance test on the mock (we can't even copy paste from it). And don't even get me started on the "digital" scratch paper for the mbe. Like I have time to type in "digital notes" for those 5 paragraph property questions, and each answer is another mini paragraph to read through to keep everyone straight in my head. I can't even make arrows or draw out a nice timeline like I can with my nice non-digital scratch paper that would've been next to me. I literally have to talk out loud and motion with my hands all over the place to keep it all straight in my head without paper and I'll prob get flagged for that lol!

rhs67858

New

Post by rhs67858 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:03 pm

persianprincess wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:19 pm
Heyall wrote:

Ok so I called admissions and they are not too clear on it themselves... but they said if you're not going to be using the pillows then "just remove them to be safe I think." She said the bedspread "it's up to you".. and then I said just to be safe I guess I'll take that off too... and she said yea just to be safe you might want to. Then I said well most people will prob be taking it in their room and just put a desk in there and they won't think to call you guys about all this like I am right now, they'll prob all leave it.. and she was like yea I'm not sure.. so I dunno how that's going to work for everyone.. but I'm just going to throw all the pillows and bedspread out of the room myself I guess lol.

Open book... I'm all for that.. that's how they do it in real practice. It's insane to memorize this much stuff and regurgitate it back.. AND have such a high cut score if you forget one element or tiny distinction between CA and fed.. not a test of competency at all.. a test of who can memorize the best.. a test of who has photographic memory and who can type the fastest. Why not give us some extra time too? Like all the tons of people who lie to get accommodations get. If we know it (THAT MUCH INFO) that should be enough.. then you gotta twist it and trick us with the answer that sounds the same.. then give us barely enough time to write out our performance test. I didn't even finish the performance test on the mock (we can't even copy paste from it). And don't even get me started on the "digital" scratch paper for the mbe. Like I have time to type in "digital notes" for those 5 paragraph property questions, and each answer is another mini paragraph to read through to keep everyone straight in my head. I can't even make arrows or draw out a nice timeline like I can with my nice non-digital scratch paper that would've been next to me. I literally have to talk out loud and motion with my hands all over the place to keep it all straight in my head without paper and I'll prob get flagged for that lol!
I can appreciate where you're at in terms of stress and prep. Look, you're good trust me. Just relax and follow what you understand to be the parameters. If things are unclear you're clearing them up as best you can which is fine but try to keep that ish relaxed. Again, they will have an influx of stuff to deal with after this bar exam so rest easy that insofar as you follow the rules then you're fine.

Unless they officially state otherwise you don't have to take the exam in an empty steel room. You know what's right and wrong and you have honor. Just don't trip too much on this kind of stuff unless it's really warranted. Rather, stay focused on the prize: crushing this exam. That's it. That's all that matters. Just keep clear, keep relaxed when not in prep, and believe in all the prep you put yourself through as it will reward you.

Three more things: one, trust me you know more than you think and it will be there for you come exam day. Two, open book might not be as chill as you would initially think, why? During the pressures on an exam like this, searching through shit like books, notes, or even a one-pager, it's going to add up and you will run out of time. This is for everyone reading this: please do not make the mistake of thinking open-book is a gift because it could end up being the gift that keeps on giving (in that you'd fail and have to take it again--jokes on a Tuesday). Not saying open-book will not be an assert generally, but just to be careful. Three, not sure if tons--relative to all testers during a cycle--lie to get help. I have had adhd my whole life, was in special classes k-12 and medicated throughout k-12, Navy, undergrad and grad. Getting them for me was basically a formality. Are there some that cheat the system? Def. But likely not a ton. Not to rant but if they are fuck em, just let that fuel you to dominate them in life.

Lastly, almost certainly you will not get flagged. However, obviously if they flag you for anything just channel that gnarly shit and light these people up. You didn't cheat, right? If attacked defend yourself with ferociousness.

There's no luck. Just keep drilling MBEs, essays, and do not neglect your PT prep plus do everything timed starting now!

- Cheers!

Heyall

New

Post by Heyall » Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:33 pm

rhs67858 wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:03 pm
persianprincess wrote:
Heyall wrote:

I can appreciate where you're at in terms of stress and prep. Look, you're good trust me. Just relax and follow what you understand to be the parameters. If things are unclear you're clearing them up as best you can which is fine but try to keep that ish relaxed. Again, they will have an influx of stuff to deal with after this bar exam so rest easy that insofar as you follow the rules then you're fine.

Unless they officially state otherwise you don't have to take the exam in an empty steel room. You know what's right and wrong and you have honor. Just don't trip too much on this kind of stuff unless it's really warranted. Rather, stay focused on the prize: crushing this exam. That's it. That's all that matters. Just keep clear, keep relaxed when not in prep, and believe in all the prep you put yourself through as it will reward you.

Three more things: one, trust me you know more than you think and it will be there for you come exam day. Two, open book might not be as chill as you would initially think, why? During the pressures on an exam like this, searching through shit like books, notes, or even a one-pager, it's going to add up and you will run out of time. This is for everyone reading this: please do not make the mistake of thinking open-book is a gift because it could end up being the gift that keeps on giving (in that you'd fail and have to take it again--jokes on a Tuesday). Not saying open-book will not be an assert generally, but just to be careful. Three, not sure if tons--relative to all testers during a cycle--lie to get help. I have had adhd my whole life, was in special classes k-12 and medicated throughout k-12, Navy, undergrad and grad. Getting them for me was basically a formality. Are there some that cheat the system? Def. But likely not a ton. Not to rant but if they are fuck em, just let that fuel you to dominate them in life.

Lastly, almost certainly you will not get flagged. However, obviously if they flag you for anything just channel that gnarly shit and light these people up. You didn't cheat, right? If attacked defend yourself with ferociousness.

There's no luck. Just keep drilling MBEs, essays, and do not neglect your PT prep plus do everything timed starting now!

- Cheers!

Thanks for giving them a call.

I think a blanket/bed won't be an issue since everyone is being recorded anyway. So they can see if you're trying to look under your blanket or anything that extreme.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jlyyap

New

Post by jlyyap » Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:02 pm

I've been scoring mid-to-low 70s-high 60s on Adaptibar, and randomly in the 60s for Themis MBEs. I know that Adaptibar has a reputation for being a lot easier—should I be panicking right now for CA?

shengren

New

Post by shengren » Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:18 pm

I finished registrering my laptop and uploaded 2 mock exams last week. Today, I opened the examplify and it says I have "no exams" on the exam list. Is that normal? Does anyone still have exams on the list? Just hope everything is fine for this registering deadline.

Heyall

New

Post by Heyall » Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:32 pm

shengren wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:18 pm
I finished registrering my laptop and uploaded 2 mock exams last week. Today, I opened the examplify and it says I have "no exams" on the exam list. Is that normal? Does anyone still have exams on the list? Just hope everything is fine for this registering deadline.

I think it's normal.

Did you get a confirmation email for each of the uploads? (two confirmation emails total). That's all I got.

shengren

New

Post by shengren » Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:35 pm

Heyall wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:32 pm
shengren wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:18 pm

I think it's normal.

Did you get a confirmation email for each of the uploads? (two confirmation emails total). That's all I got.
Thank you for letting me know! I did get the confirmation emails. I checked the examsoft website and both of my uploads are on there. However, I really wanted to look at the exam format again. When I first looked at the MBE questions on there, I think the fonts were too small. I wonder if we can enlarge them at the exam.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

shengren

New

Post by shengren » Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:50 pm

jlyyap wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:02 pm
I've been scoring mid-to-low 70s-high 60s on Adaptibar, and randomly in the 60s for Themis MBEs. I know that Adaptibar has a reputation for being a lot easier—should I be panicking right now for CA?
I think you are fine. When I took the bar in another state last year, I only used critical pass and adaptibar for MBE. I got 155.

persianprincess

New

Post by persianprincess » Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:42 am

rhs67858 wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:03 pm
persianprincess wrote:
Heyall wrote:

- Cheers!

Haha thank you, I appreciate your input and thoughts. Yes trying to get it all done in time. Cheers!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:59 pm

Can you take the exam on the couch? I dont have a desk at home

shengren

New

Post by shengren » Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:59 pm
I don't see why not...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

shengren

New

Post by shengren » Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I don't see why not...

FeeSimpleAbsolute

New

Post by FeeSimpleAbsolute » Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
No, loveseats only. Exceptions will be made for arm-chairs on a chair-by-chair basis.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:17 pm

I got this through an email from CalBar"

"Beginning on Friday, September 25, ExamSoft is releasing the latest version of its remote proctoring software. You must upgrade to this new version of Examplify 2.4.6. in order to take the October 5-6 exam on your laptop. Please launch the remote proctoring software on your laptop to complete this important update. Installing this patch will allow you to download the exam files, which will now be available between Monday, September 28, and Friday, October 2."

I checked the version of the Examplify that I have and it is 2.4.4 when i logged in but no way of upgrading it.

Any clue on how to upgrade to the latests version or should i wait till tomorrow or later since the upgrade is supposed to be today.

Thanks

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:52 pm

The date for upgrade has been changed to September 28 :

"Beginning on Monday, September 28, ExamSoft is releasing the latest version of its remote proctoring software. You must upgrade to this new version of Examplify 2.4.6. in order to take the October 5-6 exam on your laptop. You will receive an email from ExamSoft when the upgrade is available. Please launch Examplify on your laptop to complete this important update. Installing this update will allow you to download the exam files, which will now be available between Monday, September 28, and Friday, October 2."

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”