There is a petition going around Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
unclejo

New

There is a petition going around

Post by unclejo » Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:06 pm

hi guys
There is a petition going around to allow students to get licensed without passing the bar.
I graduated a couple of years ago and I have not taken the bar and don't see myself ever taking the bar due to life circumstances.
if they grant this petition, of course it would apply only to students who are currently registered to take the bar. it wouldn't apply to any random person. and I believe it would be a surprise, they would announce that it applies to all students who are supposed to take the bar in july and at that point you can't go and register anymore.

so strategically speaking, should i pay for the july exam even though I don't intend to take it / don't see myself being ready for it by then?

nixy

Gold

Re: There is a petition going around

Post by nixy » Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:09 pm

It’s not going to happen. Save your money.

Vursz

Bronze

Post by Vursz » Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:05 pm

nixy wrote:It’s not going to happen. Save your money.
Seconded. The bar associations will never go along with this.

anonymous2898

New

Post by anonymous2898 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:40 pm

And even if they granted a diploma privilege program, I am fairly certain it would only apply to the Class of 2020; the COVID rationale doesn't exactly apply with the same force to graduates of earlier class years who chose not to take the bar in the year of their graduation and now suddenly wish to take the bar exam.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:02 pm

anonymous2898 wrote:And even if they granted a diploma privilege program, I am fairly certain it would only apply to the Class of 2020; the COVID rationale doesn't exactly apply with the same force to graduates of earlier class years who chose not to take the bar in the year of their graduation and now suddenly wish to take the bar exam.
The COVID rationale, in my view, applies with similar force to out-of-state lawyers who've (a) recently moved, with continued employment contingent on passing the July bar, which has now been cancelled, or (b) intend to move, but now find their planned move delayed (possibly by up to a year if forced to renew a lease) due to the uncertainty over when the bar will be offered.

But regardless, agree with the posters earlier ITT that widespread bar waivers won't happen.

anonymous2898

New

Post by anonymous2898 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:21 pm

QContinuum wrote:
anonymous2898 wrote:And even if they granted a diploma privilege program, I am fairly certain it would only apply to the Class of 2020; the COVID rationale doesn't exactly apply with the same force to graduates of earlier class years who chose not to take the bar in the year of their graduation and now suddenly wish to take the bar exam.
The COVID rationale, in my view, applies with similar force to out-of-state lawyers who've (a) recently moved, with continued employment contingent on passing the July bar, which has now been cancelled, or (b) intend to move, but now find their planned move delayed (possibly by up to a year if forced to renew a lease) due to the uncertainty over when the bar will be offered.

But regardless, agree with the posters earlier ITT that widespread bar waivers won't happen.
Should have clarified--I agree in that I could see expanding the scope beyond just the Class of 2020 to include those with career/residence changes that now require a bar admission. However, I imagine the various State Boards will want some kind of documentation evidencing a current need for a 2020 bar admission, lest it open the flood gates to applicants, like the OP, who really have no reason for needing a 2020 bar admission other than to exploit current events in order to avoid taking the bar exam.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”