NY 1st Department Admissions Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
media1

New

NY 1st Department Admissions

Post by media1 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:05 pm

Has anyone heard anything from these people? They have been radio silent compared to the other departments, and I have received no updates from them on the interview and the oath ceremony. No replies to emails and of course it would be nice to have a sense of what they are planning. Just adds to all the stress we are under right now.

Thanks in advance if anyone has had any communication with them!

soontobeNYAttorney

New

Re: NY 1st Department Admissions

Post by soontobeNYAttorney » Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:43 am

That's exactly what I'm wondering...
I'm a retaker, took the bar in Feb 2018 first in Albany, and failed. I remember that we received admission letters from third department on March 27th. This time around, I took the bar in Feb 2020 in NYC test center. I have not received any update from any department yet.. Does anyone know how it works?

KFelton910

New

Post by KFelton910 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:38 am

soontobeNYAttorney wrote:That's exactly what I'm wondering...
I'm a retaker, took the bar in Feb 2018 first in Albany, and failed. I remember that we received admission letters from third department on March 27th. This time around, I took the bar in Feb 2020 in NYC test center. I have not received any update from any department yet.. Does anyone know how it works?
I came here looking for something like this. I searched my emails from before when the Third Department has sent out the instructions. For July it was in August and February was March (of 2018). I’ve received nothing-not a letter with instructions, not an update on the best way to submit an application, not even a stupid survey. At this point I would welcome a survey. Having not received anything, I’ve been overthinking all day that it possibly means I failed. However, COVID-19 started shutting NY down just after March 10th, and this is the likely reason as to why we haven’t received instructions. They probably don’t even know what we’re supposed to do. Here’s hoping.

soontobeNYAttorney

New

Post by soontobeNYAttorney » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:51 am

KFelton910 wrote:
soontobeNYAttorney wrote:That's exactly what I'm wondering...
I came here looking for something like this. I searched my emails from before when the Third Department has sent out the instructions. For July it was in August and February was March (of 2018). I’ve received nothing-not a letter with instructions, not an update on the best way to submit an application, not even a stupid survey. At this point I would welcome a survey. Having not received anything, I’ve been overthinking all day that it possibly means I failed. However, COVID-19 started shutting NY down just after March 10th, and this is the likely reason as to why we haven’t received instructions. They probably don’t even know what we’re supposed to do. Here’s hoping.
I just hope that the only reason we haven't received admission notifications is the Covid situation and it doesn't have to do anything with pass/fail. I've also asked the same question on Reddit and it seems like no one has received any email from the 1st and 3rd dept yet...

KFelton910

New

Post by KFelton910 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:18 pm

I just hope that the only reason we haven't received admission notifications is the Covid situation and it doesn't have to do anything with pass/fail. I've also asked the same question on Reddit and it seems like no one has received any email from the 1st and 3rd dept yet...
I concur, seeing that no one has received an instructions email 1) is comforting or extremely alarming given the pass rates across the country; and 2) makes sense because its going to be impossible to get "wet" signatures right now, coupled with the number of admissions packets being sent in. All of those pieces of paper, going to an empty office and very well could be from a COVID-19 carrier....

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

xiomara22

New

Post by xiomara22 » Tue May 05, 2020 3:43 pm

The first virtual admissions ceremonies for the 1st Dept happened on April 27 on Skype and will take place every Monday.
http://www.courts.state.ny.us/courts/ad ... monies.pdf
http://wowza.nycourts.gov/vod/WowzaPlay ... -00-36.mp4

biddymulligan

New

Post by biddymulligan » Wed May 06, 2020 10:53 am

Has anyone submitted their application electronically? I submitted my application a few months ago before any COVID-19 closures, and I was supposed to be sworn in next month. However, I received an email this morning saying that I am supposed to resubmit everything electronically because the office does not have access to our physical files. I’m concerned because the office has all of my originals. Does anyone know if electronic signatures are accepted? If not, I’m not sure how to submit everything, given that some people won’t have access to scanners, etc.

xiomara22

New

Post by xiomara22 » Tue May 12, 2020 10:01 am

Anyone who resubmitted their application to 1st Dept receive any word back yet? Anyone have any idea whether resubmitted applications are being reviewed first or whether anyone who submits electronically at this point gets reviewed at the same time?

rawhide

New

Post by rawhide » Wed May 13, 2020 10:11 am

For those who have resubmitted electronically: did you include your law school certification and skills form? The request from AD1 was to "resubmit your application questionnaire, affirmations, affidavits and any/all subsequent documents requested by Committee." Not clear if this includes documents that our law schools sent them. Trying to get this in without the delay of reaching out to the registrar.

Thanks and good luck to all of you!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

xiomara22

New

Post by xiomara22 » Fri May 15, 2020 8:09 am

I did not resubmit anything that I had not already personally submitted with the application. I got a message a week later confirming receipt of my resubmitted application but I still don't know whether we are required to request new forms that had already been sent in by other institutions. The email says to wait at least 2 weeks to email AD1 for an update so I guess I won't have any further information until then.

phoenix2015

New

Post by phoenix2015 » Fri May 15, 2020 4:47 pm

xiomara22 wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 10:01 am
Anyone who resubmitted their application to 1st Dept receive any word back yet? Anyone have any idea whether resubmitted applications are being reviewed first or whether anyone who submits electronically at this point gets reviewed at the same time?
I got a receipt confirmation email yesterday (5/14) from the First Dept. I received the notification to resubmit on 5/6 and submitted the complete application on 5/7.

This is the language from the email:

Congratulations!!! We are in receipt of your application to be admitted to the New York Bar. Your application shall now be reviewed. Upon completion of such review, you will receive an update in the form of an email from the Committee. Said email will delineate the next steps in the Court’s’ novel virtual interview and admission process. Please wait a minimum of two weeks before contacting the Committee for an update.

media1

New

Post by media1 » Fri May 15, 2020 6:16 pm

These guys are something else. They talk about how attorneys should reach out in this "time of need" but show no energy or effort or compassion toward those waiting to be admitted. Nor do they respond.

At least the 2nd department is moving forward with admissions. The first department is more focused on patting itself on its back about how they are so "novel" by using video conferencing. They could care less about pending admissions.

What an absolute joke.

upperupperwest

New

Post by upperupperwest » Fri May 15, 2020 6:20 pm

I submitted via FedEx on 4/30 and resubmitted via email on 5/7 with no prompt (I just read the update on the website and resubmitted anyway since I hadn't heard anything from them). I received an "application received" email yesterday, 5/14 that says to wait two weeks before contacting them for an update.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Brunette

New

Post by Brunette » Sat May 16, 2020 2:14 pm

Does anyone happen to know the approximate processing time for getting admitted on motion? I know things will probably be delayed these days, but just trying to get a better sense of how long it might take.

Thanks!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 29, 2020 3:33 pm

Anyone receive further emails after resubmitting an application to AD1 earlier this month?

upperupperwest

New

Post by upperupperwest » Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:45 pm

I got an email today saying I should expect to receive an email scheduling admission ceremony. Not sure if that means they're skipping interviews?

phoenix2015

New

Post by phoenix2015 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:52 am

upperupperwest wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:45 pm
I got an email today saying I should expect to receive an email scheduling admission ceremony. Not sure if that means they're skipping interviews?
Did you have to resubmit your application electronically? If not, when were you originally scheduled to be interviewed/sworn in?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:13 pm

Anyone gotten an actual response to a request for a status update? Stuck in limbo and have no idea how to find out whether my application is complete...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:20 pm

After following up a couple times, I received a response that my application is still under review, but I haven’t received any further information.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:54 am

Thanks for replying. Guess it's just a waiting game.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:08 pm

Has anyone heard back from 1st department with actual interview/swear in dates? I got that “please wait 2-weeks before sending any inquires” email in early May, and I did follow up after waiting two weeks. Now it’s been another month...but I still haven’t heard anything. My paper application was initially submitted in January...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:20 pm
After following up a couple times, I received a response that my application is still under review, but I haven’t received any further information.
May I ask which email address you used for sending inquiries? I used AD1CFC@nycourts.gov, as they specified that after 2 weeks we may contact them at this email. But has been radio silent. Wondering if there’s an alternative email address...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:20 pm
May I ask which email address you used for sending inquiries? I used AD1CFC@nycourts.gov, as they specified that after 2 weeks we may contact them at this email. But has been radio silent. Wondering if there’s an alternative email address...

alv

New

Post by alv » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:29 am

I got their reply last Friday...
Does anyone have issue with watching the orientation videos? I think all the video links are dead.

upperupperwest

New

Post by upperupperwest » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:57 pm

[*][*]
phoenix2015 wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:52 am
upperupperwest wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:45 pm
Did you have to resubmit your application electronically? If not, when were you originally scheduled to be interviewed/sworn in?
I submitted via FedEx and then submitted electronically the next day just to be sure. I received an email that I needed to include a few open items from my application (this was the first time I was hearing about these additional requests). I finally submitted everything over the weekend but haven’t heard back yet.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”