NY 1st Department Admissions Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
verejacob

New

Re: NY 1st Department Admissions

Post by verejacob » Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:38 am

Anybody heard back from the 1st Judicial Department? The silence is disconcerting. :( :( :(

elena3214

New

Post by elena3214 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:48 am

Anyone know how long it takes to get the C&F interview date and swear-in date after notification that your application is complete?

elena3214

New

Post by elena3214 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:45 pm

Yes, I received the Congratulations email in middle of May, a request for additional supporting documents in middle of June with a deadline to provide everything by 1st of July. Then they confirmed my application is complete and I will be contacted by a member of C&F committee scheduling a virtual interview, but nothing yet.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:34 am

Anyone with an update? I received an email saying my application was reviewed and complete and that I would be contacted for scheduling the admissions ceremony next. Then, I received another email a few days later saying my application was received and would be reviewed, as if I had just submitted (my application is a resubmission from earlier in the year). Did anyone have any luck with reaching someone by phone?

itsgonnabemay

New

Post by itsgonnabemay » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:22 am

They confirmed my application complete late June but zero word from them about C&F interview yet. Are we expected to NOT reach out and just wait to get scheduled?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:03 am

Thanks for the info. I had outstanding documents and didn't get a complete notification until early July. At least it's good to know that everyone seems to be in the same boat.

verejacob

New

Post by verejacob » Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:42 pm

I received an email around end July, requesting submission of additional documents by Aug. 12. Keeping fingers crossed and praying that the interview date and the swearing-in ceremony date wonโ€™t be far away. ๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:03 pm

Has anyone received any updates from the First Department recently?

I submitted my application early June, received a "congratulations" confirmation within days, and haven't heard anything since. They are completely non-responsive to emails, and their telephone goes straight to voicemail (which is full).

Lancair

New

Post by Lancair » Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:48 pm

Bumping this to see if anyone has updates. I re-submitted electronically in May and have heard nothing beyond the initial confirmation email.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:42 pm

alv wrote: โ†‘
Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:29 am
I got their reply last Friday...
Does anyone have issue with watching the orientation videos? I think all the video links are dead.
All links are dead and they are asking me the orientation affirmation. Can anyone help? how did you do to watch these videos?

Thank you very much

kdlaw77

New

Post by kdlaw77 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:50 pm

I resubmitted online in May. I recently got follow up requesting an ID and it said I should hear back by late September regarding dates.

verejacob

New

Post by verejacob » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:07 am

Made initial mail submission in June and online submission in July. I was asked to submit additional documents by Aug 12. I submitted the requested documents and was informed that my application is complete and I should wait until Fall (September?) for the Appellate Court (1st Department) to resume and to hear from the Court re. admission/swearing-in dates. Keeping fingers crossed that the dates for swearing-in ceremonies (or at the very least, the dates for the interview) will be announced within the next couple of weeks.

mcr3535

New

Post by mcr3535 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:14 pm

Would love any updates people have on this! I got the email saying my application was complete in early June, and have now emailed twice (once in late July and once in early September) to ask about the status of my application and haven't heard back from anyone. It's just really frustrating that they haven't even sent out a mass email saying "Sorry for the delay, we're going to get to you." That and the fact that I took the bar over a year ago now and am still only a "Law Clerk (Not Yet Admitted to Practice)"...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

teenageluminary

New

Post by teenageluminary » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:56 am

I'm still waiting as well.

I took the July 2019 bar exam, took the NY Law Course in December, and all my paperwork was submitted by the first week of March. Then the pandemic hit - and since I didn't have copies of the signed paperwork (since the 1st Department wanted the originals,) I had to get fresh letters of recommendation, which took a while.

I received an e-mail on August 15th saying my application was finally complete and that I would likely hear something by September 9th (the deadline to submit paperwork for the next round of admissions.) I've e-mailed the 1st Department several times, and the number on the 1st Department goes to voicemail . . .

itsgonnabemay

New

Post by itsgonnabemay » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:14 am

My submission to getting sworn in turnaround time was approx 2.5 months. I submitted my application early-June. Heard back asking me to re-submit a few docs. Then they confirmed that they have everything they needed in late June. They emailed me in early September to schedule an oath ceremony (they are waiving c&f interviews for some applicants). I hope that helps.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:00 am

mcr3535 wrote: โ†‘
Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:14 pm
Would love any updates people have on this! I got the email saying my application was complete in early June, and have now emailed twice (once in late July and once in early September) to ask about the status of my application and haven't heard back from anyone. It's just really frustrating that they haven't even sent out a mass email saying "Sorry for the delay, we're going to get to you." That and the fact that I took the bar over a year ago now and am still only a "Law Clerk (Not Yet Admitted to Practice)"...
Yep. Iโ€™m just terrified that my application might have ended up falling off a virtual shelf somewhere and sometime at the end of the year theyโ€™ll final respond and be like โ€œwhoops, sorry, please resubmit and start againโ€.

I know these are difficult times but to not even have sent out a generic update email is really poor form, especially when the last formal communication in April suggested they were back working and doing admissions every week. But itโ€™s good to hear other applications are moving.

teenageluminary

New

Post by teenageluminary » Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:38 am

I know these are difficult times but to not even have sent out a generic update email is really poor form, especially when the last formal communication in April suggested they were back working and doing admissions every week.
That's how I feel about it too. It's more annoying because the other Departments (3rd Department in particular) appear to be much more responsive and moving at a rapid pace. My supervisor keeps asking me if I have any updates re: when I'll be admitted, and I feel really foolish when I say I honestly don't know because the 1st Department hasn't responded to my e-mails (and their voicemail is full.)

I was told to submit any outstanding paperwork by September 9th, so I assumed that I would hear sometime after that, but it's been . . . crickets for the past week.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Cohen20

New

Post by Cohen20 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:40 am

Hi everyone. I got a notice that my admission was scheduled for next month. No c&f interview. What happens between now and then on their end? Is my app still being reviewed? And by whom? Trying to figure out the odds of something coming up and them saying nope itโ€™s not happening next month....

Lancair

New

Post by Lancair » Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:34 am

Cohen20 wrote: โ†‘
Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:40 am
Hi everyone. I got a notice that my admission was scheduled for next month. No c&f interview. What happens between now and then on their end? Is my app still being reviewed? And by whom? Trying to figure out the odds of something coming up and them saying nope itโ€™s not happening next month....
I think you are GTG! When did you submit / resubmit your application, out of interest?

mcr3535

New

Post by mcr3535 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:38 am

Just got an email from a member of the Character & Fitness Committee saying that my file is complete and I will likely get an email to schedule my virtual admission ceremony by the first week of October (so the ceremony will be in late October). Not sure if this is a mass email, but just in case:

-Submitted application in early March
-Got asked to re-send in May
-Application was complete in June and radio silence until today

Edit: No mention of a C&F interview

Lancair

New

Post by Lancair » Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:47 am

Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:38 am
Just got an email from a member of the Character & Fitness Committee saying that my file is complete and I will likely get an email to schedule my virtual admission ceremony by the first week of October (so the ceremony will be in late October). Not sure if this is a mass email, but just in case:

Congrats, did the email come from the AD1CFC@nycourts.gov email address?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mcr3535

New

Post by mcr3535 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:03 am

Lancair wrote: โ†‘
Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:47 am
Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:38 am

Congrats, did the email come from the AD1CFC@nycourts.gov email address?
Nah, the email came from [George] Anthony Royall, who had been the person I had communicated with about submitting more docs way back in May/June.

teenageluminary

New

Post by teenageluminary » Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:17 pm

As an update, I heard back from the 1st Department today, and they said they will notify me of the date of the Oath Ceremony by October 2nd (next Friday.)

I originally submitted my application in March, resubmitted (electronically) in July due to the pandemic, and was told my file was complete during the first week of March.

KijiStewart

Bronze

Post by KijiStewart » Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:47 pm

Hi everyone. I went complete on August 18. Any guess as to when I will be sworn in by? I have heard nothing about when my interview/swear-in date will be ?

Lancair

New

Post by Lancair » Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:01 pm

teenageluminary wrote: โ†‘
Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:17 pm
As an update, I heard back from the 1st Department today, and they said they will notify me of the date of the Oath Ceremony by October 2nd (next Friday.)

I originally submitted my application in March, resubmitted (electronically) in July due to the pandemic, and was told my file was complete during the first week of March.
Let us know if you / others hear updates today.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to โ€œBar Exam Prep and Discussion Forumโ€