When do people plan for post-July bar trip? Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
potus

Bronze

When do people plan for post-July bar trip?

Post by potus » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:01 pm

In August?

I have a start date for work “in the fall” and they give time for a post-bar break.

lhn5007

New

Re: When do people plan for post-July bar trip?

Post by lhn5007 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:27 am

Depends on the firm. I started right after Labor Day. Other friends started at the end of Sept. Spent 5 weeks in Europe right after July bar. It was amazing!

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:40 pm

potus wrote:In August?

I have a start date for work “in the fall” and they give time for a post-bar break.
If you'll be taking the July 2020 bar, you should start planning your bar trip now, or soon-ish (assuming you want to travel internationally).

You can check with your firm, but I'm not aware of any BigLaw firm that starts incoming associates before Labor Day. It should be safe to expect to have the entirety of August "off". At many/most firms, you will likely have most of September "off" as well. Some firms start as late as mid/late October, or even November. That said, you'll probably want to leave some buffer time on either end (after the bar, and before you start working) to tie up any loose ends/personal matters/moving/etc., as you will have (extremely) limited free time once you start working.

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:17 pm

QContinuum wrote:
potus wrote:In August?

If you'll be taking the July 2020 bar, you should start planning your bar trip now, or soon-ish (assuming you want to travel internationally).

You can check with your firm, but I'm not aware of any BigLaw firm that starts incoming associates before Labor Day. It should be safe to expect to have the entirety of August "off". At many/most firms, you will likely have most of September "off" as well. Some firms start as late as mid/late October, or even November. That said, you'll probably want to leave some buffer time on either end (after the bar, and before you start working) to tie up any loose ends/personal matters/moving/etc., as you will have (extremely) limited free time once you start working.
IIRC Cravath started people in my year in late August.

Really, this is exactly the type of question that you ask the recruiters. They might not know an exact date, but they can give you a good guess.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”