2020 July California Bar Exam Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
persianprincess

New

Re: 2020 July California Bar Exam

Post by persianprincess » Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:30 pm

I'm so confused. I'm glad they are still offering it and just delayed it but how is this going to work? Isn't there going to be a group of people who are really good at angles and cheating with the phone under the table etc... and then the rest of us? My biggest concern tho... what if the internet goes out or keeps buffering and reloading. Our wifi at home is crap and does that all the time. And it's not like we can really go anywhere (the whole point we're taking it at home). Like after all this hard hair pulling studying and sacrifice for months even during our birthday weekend then what if our internet craps out for a minute? Is the proctor going to be like "Oh hey I can't see you in that 2 min your internet went out. You were probably cheating." And that's it throw your test out? Or all the people who have computer problems and raise their hands during the test.. will they just tell us to restart our computer? But then they can't see if we're cheating. Or if we accidentally delete 800 words and need help fixing it will somebody be there with us? This is all so stressful.

Tankeryanker

New

Post by Tankeryanker » Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:23 am

persianprincess wrote:I'm so confused. I'm glad they are still offering it and just delayed it but how is this going to work? Isn't there going to be a group of people who are really good at angles and cheating with the phone under the table etc... and then the rest of us? My biggest concern tho... what if the internet goes out or keeps buffering and reloading. Our wifi at home is crap and does that all the time. And it's not like we can really go anywhere (the whole point we're taking it at home). Like after all this hard hair pulling studying and sacrifice for months even during our birthday weekend then what if our internet craps out for a minute? Is the proctor going to be like "Oh hey I can't see you in that 2 min your internet went out. You were probably cheating." And that's it throw your test out? Or all the people who have computer problems and raise their hands during the test.. will they just tell us to restart our computer? But then they can't see if we're cheating. Or if we accidentally delete 800 words and need help fixing it will somebody be there with us? This is all so stressful.
I guess keep an eye on the Baby Bar at the end of June. That group will be the guinea pigs. Those results should be out by August. Not very comforting but...

JDMBALLMMS

New

Post by JDMBALLMMS » Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:05 am

Tankeryanker wrote:
persianprincess wrote:I'm so confused. I'm glad they are still offering it and just delayed it but how is this going to work? Isn't there going to be a group of people who are really good at angles and cheating with the phone under the table etc... and then the rest of us? My biggest concern tho... what if the internet goes out or keeps buffering and reloading. Our wifi at home is crap and does that all the time. And it's not like we can really go anywhere (the whole point we're taking it at home). Like after all this hard hair pulling studying and sacrifice for months even during our birthday weekend then what if our internet craps out for a minute? Is the proctor going to be like "Oh hey I can't see you in that 2 min your internet went out. You were probably cheating." And that's it throw your test out? Or all the people who have computer problems and raise their hands during the test.. will they just tell us to restart our computer? But then they can't see if we're cheating. Or if we accidentally delete 800 words and need help fixing it will somebody be there with us? This is all so stressful.
I guess keep an eye on the Baby Bar at the end of June. That group will be the guinea pigs. Those results should be out by August. Not very comforting but...
A look at the ExamSoft website states that it has a partnership with ProctorU.
The way it works is:-
1. You log in and the first 2 mins is when you need internet.
2. Then it goes offline but uses your laptop camera to continue to record all your actions while using Artificial intelligence to access your head/eye movements.
3. Once done, you will need WiFi again to upload your answers and also the recordings of the period of the exam.

So you need to have access to WiFi for about 2 mins to start the process and thereafter will not need WiFi or internet connection again until you need to upload. Key point is that offline, your laptop or desktop will continue to record and store the Information just as it is in the normal test for upload later when you are connected to a WiFi.

Source:-
https://examsoft.com/exam-monitor

persianprincess

New

Post by persianprincess » Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:01 pm

JDMBALLMMS wrote:
Tankeryanker wrote:
A look at the ExamSoft website states that it has a partnership with ProctorU.
The way it works is:-
1. You log in and the first 2 mins is when you need internet.
2. Then it goes offline but uses your laptop camera to continue to record all your actions while using Artificial intelligence to access your head/eye movements.
3. Once done, you will need WiFi again to upload your answers and also the recordings of the period of the exam.

So you need to have access to WiFi for about 2 mins to start the process and thereafter will not need WiFi or internet connection again until you need to upload. Key point is that offline, your laptop or desktop will continue to record and store the Information just as it is in the normal test for upload later when you are connected to a WiFi.

Source:-
https://examsoft.com/exam-monitor
Ok thankyou JDMBALLMMS that's helpful. We don't have to worry about the wifi then unless you're just extremely unlucky and it goes out that day for those first 2 min you need internet you mentioned to start the test. That was my first concern.

I guess the other major concerns are (and this is after having watched ppl during the exam have their computers freeze and have to restart it.. or deleting many words and can't figure out how to undo something like that with few mins left in the exam):

Will there be some proctor or person on the computer screen with us so they can help us through
technical difficulties?

Also, if we have to restart our computer or something it can't video us so will we be able to do that
without them thinking we had opportunity to cheat and throw our test out? Similarly, can we go to the
restroom or do they think we're around the corner cheating? Will people actually take advantage of
that and cheat with outlines in the restroom and will that affect our curve? Just being blunt here
addressing the elephant in the room but that's what everyone is thinking and we need to know these
things.

Brandon18

New

Post by Brandon18 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:00 pm

Your last point on restroom breaks is my biggest concern. As an exam-taker who receives extended time, some of my timed portions are six hours long. At some point in this six-hour period, I will need to use the restroom. Will the states that adopt an online exam not allow examinees to use the restroom due to fears of cheating?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Animal_Activist

New

Post by Animal_Activist » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:16 am

This exam is going to have so many issues. I cannot imagine going through the performance test library and files. I also do not know how the MBE will work if we do not have scratch paper. The problem with a proctor is that we will have to worry about not moving our eyes up or down, even to rest or move around. Even in a test center, I cannot just stare at the laptop for 3 hours straight. I just feel like this will be more stressful.

Tankeryanker

New

Post by Tankeryanker » Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:31 am

The bar stated that it will have its protocols available by May 11th I believe. I am not sure those will be made public, but if they are they may answer some of your questions.

Again, look to June FYLSX for more answers. Those takers want to know who is going to keep them from having answers tapped to the wall when they DO go to the bathroom.

JDMBALLMMS

New

Post by JDMBALLMMS » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:42 pm

persianprincess wrote:Ok thankyou JDMBALLMMS that's helpful. We don't have to worry about the wifi then unless you're just extremely unlucky and it goes out that day for those first 2 mins you need internet you mentioned to start the test. That was my first concern.

I guess the other major concerns are (and this is after having watched ppl during the exam have their computers freeze and have to restart it.. or deleting many words and can't figure out how to undo something like that with few mins left in the exam):

Will there be some proctor or person on the computer screen with us so they can help us through
technical difficulties?

Also, if we have to restart our computer or something it can't video us so will we be able to do that
without them thinking we had opportunity to cheat and throw our test out? Similarly, can we go to the
restroom or do they think we're around the corner cheating? Will people actually take advantage of
that and cheat with outlines in the restroom and will that affect our curve? Just being blunt here
addressing the elephant in the room but that's what everyone is thinking and we need to know these
things.
[/quote][/quote][/quote]

I have used the ProctorU many years ago for a professional exam and you will be required to scan your environment before you start and this may include the nearest restroom that you plan to use. There is a phone number of someone you can call if there is a technical problem. Every time you get up, you have to take the camera (with the laptop) with you to scan your environment. So many people will avoid doing that because it takes away the time you need for the test.

As someone stated, we should wait for the plan of action from them but I doubt if it will be that different from what I have just said. The backup option may also be to do it in an office where a senior colleague will proctor the exam and vouch for it.

persianprincess

New

Post by persianprincess » Mon May 04, 2020 3:59 pm

I'm going over to the September test thread. I'll see you guys there to discuss our concerns further. You know.. no point having to type everything twice to discuss with each other.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”