MPT Help! Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
studybug2020

New

MPT Help!

Post by studybug2020 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:27 pm

I have taken and passed a bar before, but have never taken one with an MPT. I am EXTREMELY concerned about the MPT. I get all scrambled and jumbled up before I go to write. I also am very confused about how many of these documents are supposed to look or be organized as I have not had to write any of these in law school or after. I also struggled with Civ Pro and Con Law, so half the time I don't even know how to analyze case law v. statutes v. rules (like professional conduct). I'm not sure what to do. Does anybody have a method they use when tackling MPTs that keeps them organized so they write the essay in the time allotted?

we'rebothmenofthelaw

New

Re: MPT Help!

Post by we'rebothmenofthelaw » Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:13 pm

First, I’d take a deep breath. MPTs are ultimately testing the same skills as the rest of the bar—apply laws to facts. The main differences are that you aren’t expected to know the law (good) but they can give you any kind of law they want, including law you haven’t studied (bad). In my experience with the MPT, they don’t generally contradict mainstream law. They might hit one side of divided authority, but I suspect they won’t do anything totally contrary to common sense or common law. So if it helps, just think of it as a any other essay question, but longer and addressing random topics that you might or might not know anything about.

For organIzation, just use IRAC. Don’t overthink it and don’t overstylize. Use the call of the question to set up your issues, find the rule of law, anaylize and apply using as many facts as possible, and draw a conclusion. Same as any MEE, but bigger.

Everyone has their own style as far as note taking and outlining. I found MPTs just inside my outer limit of what I could basically keep in my head, but I’m a weirdo who didn’t take notes through law school. Just a style thing. I liked reading the materials in order, writing at most a headline for each document, starting typing as soon as I could structure it, and going back often into the documents. Some people will take more time to set up and flip back and forth less; again, it’s a style thing.

Most importantly, do a good number of them. You’ll notice some patterns pretty quickly. Documents fall into archetypes where they play a role in the MPT. I couldn’t quite name them, but you’ll notice some trends.

My guess is others will give you more of a system, and that might be valuable, but if your learning style is more intuitive (mine is), some of this advice might resonate.

Good luck and hope this helps!!

studybug2020

New

Post by studybug2020 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:10 pm

Thank you for your response, I really appreciate it.

lolabear727

Bronze

Post by lolabear727 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:39 pm

I'm barred in a non UBE state and a repeater on a UBE state. I had the same concerns as you. While I had some experience preparing these types of documents, I didn't have a ton and I was scared. My previous score for each MPT was around 55-60pt (which can use some improvement but is passing). I really tried to stick with 90 minutes on each, 45 minutes reading and outlining, 45 minutes writing. I found that that worked ok. I also have an issue with going too long and not leaving enough time on others, which is never a great strategy. So I really tried to improve and I think it helped.

Good Luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”