How to Study Just FL Bar Portion Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
collier94

New

How to Study Just FL Bar Portion

Post by collier94 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:34 pm

I took the UBE in NY and passed. So, I will transfer my UBE score to FL for FL Bar Exam. I'll take just the FL portion in July.

Do people have tips on:

1) The best materials to use for just FL Law portion?
2) Realistically how much time do I need to devote? I am a full-time practicing big-law attorney, and do not have much free time.

SilvermanBarPrep

Bronze

Re: How to Study Just FL Bar Portion

Post by SilvermanBarPrep » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:03 am

I really like Barbri's Conviser Mini Review for Florida. It has the Florida subjects, the MBE subjects, and the Florida/MBE distinctions. Use that book to learn the law and then the essays released by the Florida Board to get a feel for how to analyze all that law that you're learning.

Florida tests a ton of subjects; that's what makes this exam difficult. How much time it'll take really does vary for each person preparing but between the Conviser and those released essays you'll have what you need to prepare for the test.

Sean (Silverman Bar Exam Tutoring)

NY-Lawyer

New

Post by NY-Lawyer » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:48 pm

SilvermanBarPrep wrote:I really like Barbri's Conviser Mini Review for Florida. It has the Florida subjects, the MBE subjects, and the Florida/MBE distinctions. Use that book to learn the law and then the essays released by the Florida Board to get a feel for how to analyze all that law that you're learning.

Florida tests a ton of subjects; that's what makes this exam difficult. How much time it'll take really does vary for each person preparing but between the Conviser and those released essays you'll have what you need to prepare for the test.

Sean (Silverman Bar Exam Tutoring)
Hey Sean, I have kind of a similar dilemma as collier94. I took the NY bar exam back in July 2016, the first time the UBE was administered there. I passed easily having taken the Barbri course over the summer. Now, I have lived in Florida the last few years and started a new job two months ago. A condition of employment was to become Florida licensed, so I am taking the February 2020 bar exam. Unfortunately, and unlike collier94, my MBE score is too old to be transferred, so I am taking the entire Florida bar exam.

I've been looking at materials I would need to prepare. I am not going to pay for the entire Barbri course again, since I know what works for me and what I need to do in terms of studying. I purchased Adaptibar to do practice MBE questions. I also purchased used Barbri books, for July 2019/February 2020, so those should be up-to-date. The books in the set I purchased are the Conviser Mini Review for Florida, the Outlines for Florida, and the Testing for Florida book.

I have not received the materials yet, as I just purchased them today. I am also going to go through the previously released Florida essays and sample answers as you mentioned, which has also been mentioned to me by several others. But, I was wondering if you thought this would be sufficient for learning Florida law as well as refreshing my memory on MBE topics. My biggest concern is also being able to do sample Florida multiple choice too. Thanks for your time and insight!

SilvermanBarPrep

Bronze

Post by SilvermanBarPrep » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:31 pm

It really sounds to me like you've got an excellent plan. Barbri's Conviser to learn the law, the official essays to learn how to apply it, and a book such as Strategies and Tactics for the MBE (7th edition released next month) to practice MBE quesitons. And perhaps Adaptibar for additional questions.

You're on the right track with your materials!

Sean

SilvermanBarPrep

Bronze

Post by SilvermanBarPrep » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:33 pm

And as for Fla multiple choice--the best thing you can do for that section of the exam is to know the outlines very well for the subjects tested on that portion. Working through practice questions will only provide you with the law on the questions you work on. But knowing the outlines will provide you with all of the law they might potentially test. The questions, unlike on the MBE, are very straight-forward. But they expect that you'll know fine details!

Sean

NY-Lawyer

New

Post by NY-Lawyer » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:35 pm

Thanks, Sean! Very helpful.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”