2020 February California Bar Exam Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
barjamie8

New

Re: 2020 February California Bar Exam

Post by barjamie8 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:02 pm

sxh wrote:Hi all—I’m taking the CA attorney exam (was barred in NY) in 3 weeks and essentially started studying a week ago, when I was able to take some time off work. I’m not particularly panicked about the timeline, but I realize it’s late in the game and would appreciate any strategies for learning the rules or prioritizing at this point. Understanding the limited utility of predictions (and without any intention of relying on them), it might also help to know what folks predict will be tested on the Feb essays.

For reference: I’d love to start practicing essays but just haven’t learned enough law yet—and my Themis course is a mess I’m trying to sift through. I just signed up for BarEssays and bought MagicSheets in an attempt to find something that works better on this tight timeline, so I’m not stuck with Themis lectures. Oh, and I also have the Basick Blue Book on bar exam essays, so not lacking for prep materials (only for scheduling strategies).

Thank you in advance for any advice!
You already have the best resources. From now for the next 2 weeks practice 1 essay every day and outline 2-3 essays a day. Then spend some time with your BarEssays membership and compare your practice essay and outline to the graded ones on the site. After 2 weeks of doing this you will have a great idea of whether you are ready for the exam. If you have access to the templates on that site, use them to help you memorize and set up essays. When you miss an issue or can't remember a rule statement put it down on a flashcard. Spend the final 1.5 weeks before the exam going through your flashcards over and over. Since you are taking the attorney exam and don't need to worry about the MBE, focus on writing and memorizing.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:44 pm

Anyone think Business Associations will show up on essays?

sxh

New

Post by sxh » Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:03 pm

barjamie8 wrote:
sxh wrote:Hi all—I’m taking the CA attorney exam (was barred in NY) in 3 weeks and essentially started studying a week ago, when I was able to take some time off work. I’m not particularly panicked about the timeline, but I realize it’s late in the game and would appreciate any strategies for learning the rules or prioritizing at this point. Understanding the limited utility of predictions (and without any intention of relying on them), it might also help to know what folks predict will be tested on the Feb essays.

For reference: I’d love to start practicing essays but just haven’t learned enough law yet—and my Themis course is a mess I’m trying to sift through. I just signed up for BarEssays and bought MagicSheets in an attempt to find something that works better on this tight timeline, so I’m not stuck with Themis lectures. Oh, and I also have the Basick Blue Book on bar exam essays, so not lacking for prep materials (only for scheduling strategies).

Thank you in advance for any advice!
You already have the best resources. From now for the next 2 weeks practice 1 essay every day and outline 2-3 essays a day. Then spend some time with your BarEssays membership and compare your practice essay and outline to the graded ones on the site. After 2 weeks of doing this you will have a great idea of whether you are ready for the exam. If you have access to the templates on that site, use them to help you memorize and set up essays. When you miss an issue or can't remember a rule statement put it down on a flashcard. Spend the final 1.5 weeks before the exam going through your flashcards over and over. Since you are taking the attorney exam and don't need to worry about the MBE, focus on writing and memorizing.
Thank you!!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone think Business Associations will show up on essays?
It's gone five straight administrations without showing up. I don't see another topic that has missed more than three in a row.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:04 am

This is my first time taking the CA Bar...is there a place that we can store our bags during the exam? If so, are we allowed to have access to our bags during lunch? I'm trying to figure out the logistics of how to bring lunch..

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TLSBarRev

New

Post by TLSBarRev » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:17 pm

Does anyone have insights into using headings and name abbreviations in the essays? I am using two different bar essay grading services to prepare for the attorneys exam - one encourages abbreviations of names and a pretty formulaic use of headings for major issues to list the rules and then providing an IRAC analysis once all the major rules are listed.

The other says that abbreviations of names should not be used and is coaching towards longer rule statements and doing an IRAC under each issue heading.

I’m cross referencing my sample answers against Bar Essays samples and there are several essays with scores of 75-80 that abbreviate party names. The use of headers and sub headers seems to vary based on the subject (ie more headers and sub headers for topics like Evidence). In trying to self-grade my essays I do believe my answers are stronger than when I started practicing back in late Dec/early January. But, it’s difficult to truly self-grade an essay.

Part of my issue is one of the services is now primarily grading my essays with solid passing scores (after I made adjustments based on lower scores on my first couple of practice essays). The other service is grading my essays lower and advising to contact them for tutoring services.

Basically I’m looking for advice to maintain my sanity. I’ve fully written out about 25 essays and 4 PTs at this point with about 10 more full essays to go this week during the final push. I’m also issue spotting essays from Bar Essay samples.

Obviously I know I won’t possibly hit every issue on every essay but I at least want to know the best formatting/style to avoid losing points for something stylistic.

I’m an attorney in a practice area that requires a great deal of in-depth writing and “re-learning” how to write for bar exam graders is proving to be a challenge. Thankfully I “only” have to take the attorneys exam but it’s still a monster to conquer. Any advice is appreciated.

Heyall

New

Post by Heyall » Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:This is my first time taking the CA Bar...is there a place that we can store our bags during the exam? If so, are we allowed to have access to our bags during lunch? I'm trying to figure out the logistics of how to bring lunch..
The CA Bar doesn't advertise this (at least to my knowledge, I may have missed it) but there's a place right by the entrance where you can put your bag and get a number or something to pick it up.

A lot of people just leave their backpack or whatever on the floor since it's a restricted area and no one is going to steal it.

Same goes for luggages. On the last day, a lot of people leave their luggages there and someone watches over it.

barjamie8

New

Post by barjamie8 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:27 am

TLSBarRev wrote:Does anyone have insights into using headings and name abbreviations in the essays? I am using two different bar essay grading services to prepare for the attorneys exam - one encourages abbreviations of names and a pretty formulaic use of headings for major issues to list the rules and then providing an IRAC analysis once all the major rules are listed.

The other says that abbreviations of names should not be used and is coaching towards longer rule statements and doing an IRAC under each issue heading.

I’m cross referencing my sample answers against Bar Essays samples and there are several essays with scores of 75-80 that abbreviate party names. The use of headers and sub headers seems to vary based on the subject (ie more headers and sub headers for topics like Evidence). In trying to self-grade my essays I do believe my answers are stronger than when I started practicing back in late Dec/early January. But, it’s difficult to truly self-grade an essay.

Part of my issue is one of the services is now primarily grading my essays with solid passing scores (after I made adjustments based on lower scores on my first couple of practice essays). The other service is grading my essays lower and advising to contact them for tutoring services.

Basically I’m looking for advice to maintain my sanity. I’ve fully written out about 25 essays and 4 PTs at this point with about 10 more full essays to go this week during the final push. I’m also issue spotting essays from Bar Essay samples.

Obviously I know I won’t possibly hit every issue on every essay but I at least want to know the best formatting/style to avoid losing points for something stylistic.

I’m an attorney in a practice area that requires a great deal of in-depth writing and “re-learning” how to write for bar exam graders is proving to be a challenge. Thankfully I “only” have to take the attorneys exam but it’s still a monster to conquer. Any advice is appreciated.
You will see variation between tutoring/grading services because frankly they are not always on par with the graders on the exam. You mentioned that you are also self grading with the samples on BarEssays.com and I think that is the better route because these are actually graded by the examiners and it will show you which types of essays require more headings than others. To answer your question, I don't think there can be too many headings for each issue and sub issue. It screams to the grader that you caught the issue and subissue (graders could miss it otherwise). I'm not sure what you mean by abbreviations, but as long as it is easy for the grader to decipher I think it's fine. Basically look closely at the essays that score 65+ on BarEssays and copy their structure. Yes you might be some variation in structure but lean towards the ones that make it easy for the grader by spacing things out, more underlined issues, etc.

ikaflambi

New

Post by ikaflambi » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:57 pm

Hey!

I'm having trouble wrapping my head around Cali's duty of confidentiality rule, and I figure if there is one rule to know cold, it should be this one, since it seems to come up on just about every exam.

The book I'm using for substantive review lists the following Cali exceptions to the duty of confidentiality:

- Necessary to prevent death or mayhem and lawyer has tried to remedy through other means
- Compelled by court order
- To establish a claim or defense against malpractice

This seems fishy to me because in researching the professional and business code I only found the death / mayhem exception, along with a client consent exception, which is not listed in my book. Before going deeper down the rabbit hole I figure I would just ask for help here...

And maybe one more thing. If I understand correctly, an attorney can be in (the unlikely) position where they are testifying and cannot claim attorney client privilege on behalf of the client, yet their testimony would still be a violation of the duty of confidentiality. Say, if the testimony is regarding the client's use of the lawyer's services to commit a fraud, which falls outside of the privilege, does the attorney have to testify and simultaneously commit an ethical violation? Something tells me I'm confused.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rcharter1978

Gold

Post by rcharter1978 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:This is my first time taking the CA Bar...is there a place that we can store our bags during the exam? If so, are we allowed to have access to our bags during lunch? I'm trying to figure out the logistics of how to bring lunch..
In Ontario they had an area in front of the test room for bags. you'll have access as you head out of the exam room.

Bringing your lunch is a great idea. It was a mob scene at the fast food places around the convention center and I didn't want to walk somewhere, wait in a line, shove down some greasy food and head back.

Just don't bring anything that can go bad in the heat (CA has warm winters) or needs to be microwaved.

rcharter1978

Gold

Post by rcharter1978 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:36 pm

TLSBarRev wrote:Does anyone have insights into using headings and name abbreviations in the essays? I am using two different bar essay grading services to prepare for the attorneys exam - one encourages abbreviations of names and a pretty formulaic use of headings for major issues to list the rules and then providing an IRAC analysis once all the major rules are listed.

I'd be a solid no on abbreviating names. I just think there is a potential for confusion with the wrong grader and I think a grader gets like 5 minutes or something to read an essay.

It sounds like it has worked for other people, so I guess it's a thing.

I agree with whoever said that you cannot have too many headings. But I think the most pressing thing is that it look tidy.

My tutor was a fan of pretty small statements. He was a former grader and the feeling I always got from him was that the least amount of reading that they could do, and still determine you were competent, was best.

I think it's natural when you're stressed, to get into these details. But I am sure EITHER method works, so you should do what feels best for you. (I personally like longer statements so I didn't cut mine down as much as the tutor wanted)

Happy88

New

Post by Happy88 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:49 am

How did everyone feel about the essays and PT?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:12 am

Happy88 wrote:How did everyone feel about the essays and PT?
It could have been easier. I don't know how else to say about it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
What were the topics?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
What were the topics?
Torts
PR
Contracts
Evidence (CA)
Partnerships

echo foxtrot

New

Post by echo foxtrot » Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:38 am

Hello good people. Good luck with those bar exam results. I hope you passed. My name is Eddie Reyes and I'm with Jurax Bar Prep. In a couple of weeks I will have the wonderful opportunity to interview Gil Peles. Gil is the founder of BarEssays.com.

I have prepared some questions but of course, I’m also interested in knowing if you have questions you’d like to address to him. If so, please send me a message here on TLS or reply to this post. I’d really appreciate it.

Btw, I hope that many of you have found the BarEssays database useful. If you don't know about Gil's company, send me a message and I'd be more than happy to provide information.

Will keep y’all updated.

-Eddie

siriuslysaucy422

New

Post by siriuslysaucy422 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:48 pm

Does anyone know whether your admission "status" page is also updated on the day results are provided?

Right now, it says "Requirement not satisfied."

Also on the "Exam Results" page do you have to search for your name and/or applicant ID # or is your specific information provided?

Sorry for the random questions. Just anxious about Feb bar exam results given everything that's going on.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:56 pm

siriuslysaucy422 wrote:Does anyone know whether your admission "status" page is also updated on the day results are provided?

Right now, it says "Requirement not satisfied."

Also on the "Exam Results" page do you have to search for your name and/or applicant ID # or is your specific information provided?

Sorry for the random questions. Just anxious about Feb bar exam results given everything that's going on.
I am so anxious, here's hoping that they do not delay the results currently set for May 8. However, if I fail again, the test is in limbo. Currently, in the hands of the Supreme Court to decide. Letter posted today: http://www.calbar.ca.gov/Portals/0/docu ... ptions.pdf

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 07, 2020 5:57 pm

Question for anyone who retook the exam: have your previous essay answers disappeared?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”