2020 February California Bar Exam Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
a male human

Gold

2020 February California Bar Exam

Post by a male human » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:52 pm

This is a thread for discussing preparation for the 2020 February CBX (post-mortem for 2019 July exam also welcome).

As usual, I'll drop in some helpful info collected over the years.

Wondering where to start?

I've been hanging around these TLS bar threads since 2013 and have seen the most effective tools that helped people pass the California bar. I've updated the below for your enjoyment.

Recommended resources

These resources seem helpful to CA bar takers. Feel free to suggest your ones you've found helpful!
[+] Spoiler
Investing in resources is an indicator of success, but you also shouldn't just buy everything willy nilly. The more choices you have, the more confused you're likely to be (and waste time on things that ultimately don't help).

So what are you supposed to buy? Well, I did the testing for you, as well as gather intel on what seems to be working for other California bar takers. On my second attempt at the CA bar, I've tried some that helped me pass, and I've tried some that didn't add any value. I won't include the latter.

Below is a list of resources I picked out that should give you the most bang for your buck. No need to overcomplicate things or go broke. Do your due diligence, pick a few resources that will work for you, and scrape all the meat off the bone.

You may not have the patience or mental energy to think about this if you're shell-shocked, gripped by anxiety, or overwhelmed with this beast of a task. You might be going through a rollercoaster of feels.

That's OK. Take solace in knowing that all the information and materials are out there. All you need to do is USE them.

Quick notes on the most effective supplements for...

- MBE on a budget? Emanuel's Strategies & Tactics for the MBE 6th ed. (7th ed. coming out in November) (see description and an inside look below -- will set you back ~$60-90)
- MBE if you have $365 to shell out? AdaptiBar (see description below and a review)

Which one should you get? You can improve your MBE with either or both of these excellent tools. S&T has a broad selection of questions as well as excellent explanations, which is where you learn after doing the questions. Get AdaptiBar if you have the budget. AdaptiBar has all the official questions (including Civ Pro questions) but not the best explanations. If you want to pass on AdaptiBar, you could alternatively get the NCBE MBE study aids (only the Simulated MBEs have answer explanations, though).

- Essays? BarEssays.com (see info and samples below, as well as a review)

- PTs? I don't know of a sure-kill supplement, but I have put together a guide (ver. 1.6a). Unlike the MBE or essays, PTs are better learned through exposure to a variety of them over trying to deeply understand the answer. Look at the past PTs and the sample answers. Focus a bit more on rules and analysis (vs. issues and rules for essays)

Search by [star-ID] to jump to the description of a featured resource, tagged by sections of interest:

[*1] Strategies & Tactics for the MBE Vols. I & II (Emanuel) + Civ Pro resources [MBE]
[*2] AdaptiBar ($30 off) [MBE]
[*3] Law in a Flash [MBE] [Essays]
[*4] BarEssays.com ($25 off) [Essays]
[*5] Past CA essays and performance tests (and a guide to own the PTs) [Essays] [PTs]
[*6] Options for condensed outlines and approach sheets [MBE] [Essays]

[*1] Strategies & Tactics for the MBE Volume 1 (Emanuel 6th edition): This is the MBE bible.

It's great (and may be the only MBE supplement you need) because it comes with 600 or so representative MBE questions that are all genuine and were previously administered (with the exception of author-written Civ Pro questions). I encourage you to study with the real deal.

Each subject is prefaced with a discussion of the tricky areas and how to deal with them. Some subjects have an overview of the major topics. There will be tips that revolve around multiple choice in general. The 200-question practice test at the back can be done to gauge your progress sometime in the final month leading to the bar.

How to use: Read the primer for each subject, answer every question on a separate sheet, and analyze their explanation in their entirety, including (A) through (D) for each question, including questions you get correctly. So essentially, go through the book cover to cover (which is what I did). It's worth it.

So what does it look like inside? Pics incoming:
Subject overview
Questions
Explanations

Link: 6th edition (2016) -- includes excellent author-generated Civ Pro questions

Get it in very good condition at least so that you don’t see the previous owners’ markings. Will run you about $50-90 (price fluctuates a lot).

I do not recommend the 5th edition (2012).

[*1] Strategies & Tactics for the MBE Vol. 2 (Emanuel): This is the expansion pack to Volume 1, containing different questions. It's in a format where the answer appears right beneath the question. If you're doing a question for practice, you'll have to carefully cover the answer as you do each question.

The valuable feature in Vol. 2 is how the questions are categorized into labeled topics. For example, Q45 on page 166 is filed under Chapter 5 Formal Proceedings -- I. Grand Jury Proceedings -- A. Self-incrimination and immunity.

For better or worse, some headings contain answer spoilers for the concepts, e.g., Q46 on page 167 is filed under B. No right to have attorney present in grand jury room, which gives away the answer.

Nonetheless, if you liked Volume 1, this is great for additional authentic MBE questions, especially if you know or want to improve on specific issues.

How to use: Get it as an optional add-on to Volume 1. Don’t get it without Volume 1. Use as a supplement for specific issues.

What it looks like inside:
Question (1)
Question (2)
Table of contents (index)

Link: [url=http://amzn.to/1icMz6S]2012 (latest) edition

AdaptiBar (below) is another great addition or alternative to the above Emanuel's books. It comes with the entire universe of questions released by the NCBE, at a higher cost.

Scroll down to [*7] for more information. Go here for my totally unbiased review. Feel free to PM me for a $30 coupon.

If you're re-enrolling, there's a substantial discount, no need for a coupon.

[*1] What about Civ Pro? There aren't a lot of questions to practice with.

You can get official Civ Pro questions from AdaptiBar, or the MBE study aids store.

For free Civ Pro MBE questions...

- BarPrepHero has a practice exam with 30 Civ Pro questions here, not written by the NCBE.
- The NCBE offers 10 sample questions here.

[*2] AdaptiBar ($395/365): You know what this is for.

If you're on the fence, check my unbiased and totally original review (which some bar prep person took certain "inspirations" from)... AdaptiBar Review: Is It Worth It?

This program is web-based and accessible via PC (desktop or laptop) and mobile devices. It automatically adapts and adjusts to your individual strengths and weaknesses.

In total, there are at least 1,955 MBE questions (all 1,530 original NCBE-released questions + 200 simulated Civil Procedure questions + 15 new Real Property questions + 210 official questions from the now-unavailable 2017 MBE Study Aid including at least 30 past Civ Pro questions). Subject performance and timing analysis feedback are provided. In addition, the program allows users to create printable PDF reports of questions that were answered incorrectly.

Moreover, the online app adapts to your strengths and weaknesses and can create customized full-length tests, too. Additional information regarding the program can be found in this flyer and at http://www.adaptibar.com/pricing.aspx.

Link: AdaptiBar

It is indeed rather expensive, but it’s probably the single best comprehensive option to study for the MBE, assuming you have the budget. Feel free to reach out for an offer code for $30 off.

If you're re-enrolling, there's a substantial discount, no need for a coupon.

[*3] Law in a Flash cards: I bought 6 boxes of these to patch up my weak subjects. They were especially handy when I had to be out, like when I was waiting in line at Starbucks to buy some scones to bribe a friend to give me used Barbri books, and I could whip out a few cards from my wallet to learn some tricky Evidence concepts. Or when I was trying to learn about federal jurisdiction while waiting inside a noisy store.

I'm generally against flashcards, but I have to admit that working through the various hypothetical scenarios helped explain the concepts.

Link: List of LIAF products

[*4] BarEssays.com: One of the most popular resources you'll see mentioned around the forums.

What does it look like inside?

Check out my my ultimate BarEssays review: Why Practicing Is Not Enough.

Here's a sample: Check out this essay that scored an 85! Imagine if you studied this and produced the same results on the bar...

If you're wondering what makes a passing essay vs. what doesn't on the California Bar Exam, this is a large repository of actual graded essays and PTs submitted by those who didn't pass.

But this doesn't mean the essays are all sub-par! While there are essays scored 40 and 50 that show what is not passing material, there are essays that earned 75, 80, or even 85.

The advantage of this repository is the variety of real answers you can study.

The State Bar's selected answers are top of the top answers. It's unrealistic that your essay answers will look like them, although you could study these ideal answers to learn how to apply any rules you're confused about. One answer taught me Rule 12(b)(6) because some nerd had written a treatise on it.

There are over 3,000 essays that you can search by subject, range of score, year/month, and even typed/handwritten/both for anyone worried about handwriting. Some have grader commentary.

These essay examples are useful after you outline or write out an essay to check whether you discussed relevant issues and rules and used the facts properly. I'd look at least one below and one above 65, with grader commentary if available.

High scorers tend to discuss all the issues and much of the nuances—but do not necessarily have excellent rule statements or analyses. While you want to look like the 70-75+ people, you’ll notice that they don’t always look like the impossible Barbri answers. These are real answers you can compare to see where you stand.

Link: BarEssays

Feel free to PM me for a coupon code that will save you $25 on a subscription.

You can also check out my free essay answer bank for limited and exclusive sets of graded student essays. Please donate your past answers if you want to help future generations who want to stand on the shoulders of giants.

[*5] Past essays and performance tests: These might be the only free things you get from the CA State Bar. They release exam questions from each administration of the past 5 years.

Link: State Bar of California Past Exams

Note that there aren't too many 90-minute CA PTs posted as of yet. I'd practice with MPTs, which are also 90 minutes long. Get my PT guide (v. 1.6a) to find out where to find more MPTs than you'll ever need. Or find links and downloads to CA PTs and hella MPTs here.

If you need to quickly find California essays organized by subject, check these out:

If you're looking for convenient access to individual questions organized by subject and issue, check out BarIssues.com. However, this hasn't been updated since 2015.

For a budget version, here is an essay locator -- a list of essays organized by subject and issues contained therein (you can help fill in the issues).

I've also put together a guide to own the PTs (v. 1.6a), with a step-by-step approach to answering a PT, strategies (including how to not run out of time), templates, and more.

[*6] Options for condensed outlines and essay approach

- Lean Sheets are a well-known short outline available for all 50 states. A basic but budget-friendly option.
- Magicsheets are comprehensive condensed outlines organized in logical groups and indentations.
- Approsheets are essay approach sheets (one pager checklists and flowcharts) that take you from a blank page to a finished essay or outline. These sheets help you make sure you’re attacking all relevant issues and answering each essay completely. You get ZERO points for an issue that you never raise, even if you know the rule for it. An IRAC can't sprout from a seed that's never planted.

Extremely detailed guide from a first-time passer of the 2018 CA July bar exam (40.7% pass rate) (forwarded to me by the author)

https://irenehong.co/2019/05/12/the-ult ... -bar-exam/

Previous TLS threads you can dig through for extra help
[+] Spoiler
2019 February: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=298763
2018 July: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=286381
2018 February: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=283574
2017 July: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=274836
2017 February: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=271217
2016 July: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=260090
2016 February: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=260833
2015 July: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=244425
2015 February: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=240022
2014 July: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=225140
2014 February: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=220409
2013 July: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=213457

wegJK

New

Re: 2020 February California Bar Exam

Post by wegJK » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:00 pm

Hello,

Studying for Feb2020 exam and it would be great to have a group that logs-in their study periods online. I am motivated when I see other people studying. The website toggl.com has a 'team' mode and I can add you.

hastingsgal

New

Post by hastingsgal » Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:17 pm

In the July 2019 discussion someone just shared a post of their journey passing the bar for the sixth time. I'm posting a link to it because I think it's a great post. I did many of the same things myself to pass.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=298888

barjamie8

New

Post by barjamie8 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:43 pm

hastingsgal wrote:In the July 2019 discussion someone just shared a post of their journey passing the bar for the sixth time. I'm posting a link to it because I think it's a great post. I did many of the same things myself to pass.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=298888
This is a very good post! I am a former repeater and also did a lot what this 6x repeater did to eventually pass.

A lot of you taking the Feb exam are repeaters from July. I was in your shoes. There is a light at the end of the tunnel. You will get through this as long as you address your weaknesses.

I was flat broke after failing the first time.The second time I studied at home using Adaptibar and BarEssays, both relatively inexpensive products. My schedule was to practice 25+ MBEs a day and practice at least 1 essay a day. I would go through my missed MBEs over and over and then compare my practice essay to the graded ones on BarEssays that scored 65 and above. Eventually I saw my scores go up and my essays started looking like the higher scoring graded ones. You don't need to spend thousands on a tutor if you have the discipline to go study on your own and really think about why you are missing MBEs and/or why your essays do not look like the 65s or 70s.

This test consumed my life for so long, but once it is over you'll have a huge monkey lifted off your back and the pain will (slowly) drift away. Kind of like breaking up with an long term partner.

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:27 pm

The 7th edition of Strategies & Tactics for the MBE was published on Amazon on Thursday: https://amzn.to/2POQL7b

Key differences between 6th and 7th:
- 30 actual Civ Pro questions (with explanations by the author). Civ Pro questions were author-written in the 6th edition
- New questions that have been tested more recently in other subjects

If you don't have either the 6th or 7th edition, I'd get this one. If you already have the 6th, consider the key differences above.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Animal_Activist

New

Post by Animal_Activist » Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:11 pm

I hope your holidays are going well. I am retaking the bar exam for the third time. I wanted to direct this message to anyone who has been doing well on the essay portion of the exam (people who get around 70-75 on several of the essays). I understand that most of you are very busy and might not be able to take my request into consideration. I would truly appreciate if any of you could look at a previous essay of mine from the July exam and see why I scored a 60. I am tired of not knowing if it is my issues that are killing me, my rule statements, or my analysis. I desperately need to figure this out. I do not have much money to spend on additional tutors or courses after spending almost 10k for this ridiculous exam. I would truly appreciate anyone who would take even 5 minutes to skim through one of my essays and see what is really preventing me from getting a 70-75 score, especially since I read through my essays thinking I caught all the issues and knew the rules. Thank you.

barjamie8

New

Post by barjamie8 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:39 am

Animal_Activist wrote:I hope your holidays are going well. I am retaking the bar exam for the third time. I wanted to direct this message to anyone who has been doing well on the essay portion of the exam (people who get around 70-75 on several of the essays). I understand that most of you are very busy and might not be able to take my request into consideration. I would truly appreciate if any of you could look at a previous essay of mine from the July exam and see why I scored a 60. I am tired of not knowing if it is my issues that are killing me, my rule statements, or my analysis. I desperately need to figure this out. I do not have much money to spend on additional tutors or courses after spending almost 10k for this ridiculous exam. I would truly appreciate anyone who would take even 5 minutes to skim through one of my essays and see what is really preventing me from getting a 70-75 score, especially since I read through my essays thinking I caught all the issues and knew the rules. Thank you.
Nobody is going to be able to skim through your essay and tell you what you did right and wrong in 5 minutes. And nobody with experience will do it for free. You can pay a tutor to do this. Yes it is expensive but the bar exam is an investment. Or this is something you can also do for yourself. Why don't you compare your essay to ones that scored 70-75 such as on BarEssays and see what you did right and wrong? Spend some quality time and do it yourself, this is the best way to learn how to write better essays. Do the same with your practice essays.

rcharter1978

Gold

Post by rcharter1978 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:03 am

barjamie8 wrote:
Animal_Activist wrote:I hope your holidays are going well. I am retaking the bar exam for the third time. I wanted to direct this message to anyone who has been doing well on the essay portion of the exam (people who get around 70-75 on several of the essays). I understand that most of you are very busy and might not be able to take my request into consideration. I would truly appreciate if any of you could look at a previous essay of mine from the July exam and see why I scored a 60. I am tired of not knowing if it is my issues that are killing me, my rule statements, or my analysis. I desperately need to figure this out. I do not have much money to spend on additional tutors or courses after spending almost 10k for this ridiculous exam. I would truly appreciate anyone who would take even 5 minutes to skim through one of my essays and see what is really preventing me from getting a 70-75 score, especially since I read through my essays thinking I caught all the issues and knew the rules. Thank you.
Nobody is going to be able to skim through your essay and tell you what you did right and wrong in 5 minutes. And nobody with experience will do it for free. You can pay a tutor to do this. Yes it is expensive but the bar exam is an investment. Or this is something you can also do for yourself. Why don't you compare your essay to ones that scored 70-75 such as on BarEssays and see what you did right and wrong? Spend some quality time and do it yourself, this is the best way to learn how to write better essays. Do the same with your practice essays.
I agree. People mean well and are giving, but you get what you pay for. My writing tutor is a former bar grader and he reviews essays....for a fee.

He could probably tell you in 5 minutes what the problems are....but he wouldn't do it for free.

I know beggars can't be choosers, but I'd be careful about the source before relying on an essay review. Perhaps one of the tutors on here will take a look (all of the tutors on here seem very good and AMH has been vary generous with his materials in a pinch).

Or, in the alternative you could get a used copy of the barbri essay book. I hated the barbri essay materials, because I think the examples didn't replicate what an average person could write in the allotted time.

But, if your problem is structure and headings the book might give you some ideas and if your problem is issue spotting I believe that the barbri book has an outline of issues and maybe a grading matrix.

Good luck!

EAsports19

New

Post by EAsports19 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:15 am

Anyone know whether the Constitutional Law tested in the essay portion of the exam cover California's Constitution or is it strictly Federal?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

seasonthat

New

Post by seasonthat » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:28 am

Have admission tickets been mailed yet? Haven't received and the website states no admission ticket is available still.

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:56 am

EAsports19 wrote:Anyone know whether the Constitutional Law tested in the essay portion of the exam cover California's Constitution or is it strictly Federal?
California constitutional law is not tested

shengren

New

Post by shengren » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:16 pm

seasonthat wrote:Have admission tickets been mailed yet? Haven't received and the website states no admission ticket is available still.
I'm wondering the same thing! I haven't received any email or mail about admissions ticket yet.

Stringer6

Platinum

Post by Stringer6 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:14 pm

Any word on the admissions ticket?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:35 pm

No ticket yet. I have called 5 times and each time no one has picked up the phone and the wait has been 15 min or longer so I’ve given up...

shengren

New

Post by shengren » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:No ticket yet. I have called 5 times and each time no one has picked up the phone and the wait has been 15 min or longer so I’ve given up...
I emailed the state bar about it a week ago, and I haven't heard back yet.

tokyostudent

New

Post by tokyostudent » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:07 am

shengren wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:No ticket yet. I have called 5 times and each time no one has picked up the phone and the wait has been 15 min or longer so I’ve given up...
I emailed the state bar about it a week ago, and I haven't heard back yet.
I e-mailed, too, and received a responce that ticket would be given 5 weeks prior to the exam. But, I have not received, yet. :cry:

EAsports19

New

Post by EAsports19 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:55 pm

Just got off the phone with the LA office - I was advised admittance tickets/laptop certification emails would be going out Thursday, 1/30.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

shengren

New

Post by shengren » Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:31 pm

EAsports19 wrote:Just got off the phone with the LA office - I was advised admittance tickets/laptop certification emails would be going out Thursday, 1/30.
That's great. Thank you!

barjamie8

New

Post by barjamie8 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:38 pm

Does anyone still use this forum? It's usually super busy by this time of the bar season.

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:16 am

Good question. Where do y'all go now?

hopefulCAatty

New

Post by hopefulCAatty » Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:58 am

I noticed that there is a Facebook group for the CA Feb 2020...

Anyway, here's a question for you all...For the PT portion of the exam, do you suggest reading the File first or the Library first? I often feel overwhelmed with the info and struggle with organizing them and writing a coherent answer in the given time.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:18 am

hopefulCAatty wrote:I noticed that there is a Facebook group for the CA Feb 2020...

Anyway, here's a question for you all...For the PT portion of the exam, do you suggest reading the File first or the Library first? I often feel overwhelmed with the info and struggle with organizing them and writing a coherent answer in the given time.
I'd suggest the Library first. After pulling out the principles and "BLL," you'll see which facts are pertinent to the law and the assignment.

sxh

New

Post by sxh » Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:56 am

Hi all—I’m taking the CA attorney exam (was barred in NY) in 3 weeks and essentially started studying a week ago, when I was able to take some time off work. I’m not particularly panicked about the timeline, but I realize it’s late in the game and would appreciate any strategies for learning the rules or prioritizing at this point. Understanding the limited utility of predictions (and without any intention of relying on them), it might also help to know what folks predict will be tested on the Feb essays.

For reference: I’d love to start practicing essays but just haven’t learned enough law yet—and my Themis course is a mess I’m trying to sift through. I just signed up for BarEssays and bought MagicSheets in an attempt to find something that works better on this tight timeline, so I’m not stuck with Themis lectures. Oh, and I also have the Basick Blue Book on bar exam essays, so not lacking for prep materials (only for scheduling strategies).

Thank you in advance for any advice!

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:09 pm

sxh wrote:Hi all—I’m taking the CA attorney exam (was barred in NY) in 3 weeks and essentially started studying a week ago, when I was able to take some time off work. I’m not particularly panicked about the timeline, but I realize it’s late in the game and would appreciate any strategies for learning the rules or prioritizing at this point. Understanding the limited utility of predictions (and without any intention of relying on them), it might also help to know what folks predict will be tested on the Feb essays.

For reference: I’d love to start practicing essays but just haven’t learned enough law yet—and my Themis course is a mess I’m trying to sift through. I just signed up for BarEssays and bought MagicSheets in an attempt to find something that works better on this tight timeline, so I’m not stuck with Themis lectures. Oh, and I also have the Basick Blue Book on bar exam essays, so not lacking for prep materials (only for scheduling strategies).

Prioritize the rules and issues in this order:

1. Ones that have appeared in past exams (including main issues, sub-issues, defenses).

Learn these by solving problems. You don't need to have "learned enough law yet." Trying to ensure that is exactly how I failed my first time. Practice will be productive because it will reveal what you don't know. THEN you can review and fill in the gaps. Knowledge removed from the facts is nothing. It's all artificial if you don't know to use it. The essays you do now will become familiar "template" fact patterns you might see again on the exam.

2. Ones you think are important (you've seen them around somewhere, maybe in law school).

You may not be able to get through all the past essays, but you'll have a feeling some of these issues and rules would be good to know.

Magicsheets contain both of the above categories.

3. Other fringe rules that might come up. Better to at least get familiar in case they ask you about it. It would have been great to know about zoning rules and criminal prosecutor ethical duties (but I made it up as I went based on the trails of information that I saw as my life flashed before my eyes).

Note that I mention issues and not just rules. That's because memorization isn't just about memorizing rules.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:20 pm

a male human wrote:
sxh wrote:Hi all—I’m taking the CA attorney exam (was barred in NY) in 3 weeks and essentially started studying a week ago, when I was able to take some time off work. I’m not particularly panicked about the timeline, but I realize it’s late in the game and would appreciate any strategies for learning the rules or prioritizing at this point. Understanding the limited utility of predictions (and without any intention of relying on them), it might also help to know what folks predict will be tested on the Feb essays.

Prioritize the rules and issues in this order:

1. Ones that have appeared in past exams (including main issues, sub-issues, defenses).

Learn these by solving problems. You don't need to have "learned enough law yet." Trying to ensure that is exactly how I failed my first time. Practice will be productive because it will reveal what you don't know. THEN you can review and fill in the gaps. Knowledge removed from the facts is nothing. It's all artificial if you don't know to use it. The essays you do now will become familiar "template" fact patterns you might see again on the exam.

2. Ones you think are important (you've seen them around somewhere, maybe in law school).

You may not be able to get through all the past essays, but you'll have a feeling some of these issues and rules would be good to know.

Magicsheets contain both of the above categories.

3. Other fringe rules that might come up. Better to at least get familiar in case they ask you about it. It would have been great to know about zoning rules and criminal prosecutor ethical duties (but I made it up as I went based on the trails of information that I saw as my life flashed before my eyes).

Note that I mention issues and not just rules. That's because memorization isn't just about memorizing rules.
Thank you!! I so appreciate it.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”