Name on MPT Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
perfunctory

Bronze

Name on MPT

Post by perfunctory » Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:23 pm

i sat for the bar few days ago and i remember that i put my name on the MPT when i wrote the headings like:

To: Partner
Date: July 2019
Re: X v. Y

I recall them saying don't write identifying information but i mistakenly put it down because you're supposed to pretend you're an associate writing a memo to a partner. Should i call the bar and let them know or would they figure this out themselves? will there be negative consequences to my score? :(

PrissyG

New

Re: Name on MPT

Post by PrissyG » Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:15 pm

perfunctory wrote:i sat for the bar few days ago and i remember that i put my name on the MPT when i wrote the headings like:

I recall them saying don't write identifying information but i mistakenly put it down because you're supposed to pretend you're an associate writing a memo to a partner. Should i call the bar and let them know or would they figure this out themselves? will there be negative consequences to my score? :(

Yikes, I remember them telling us not to identify ourself a and if we did the mpt will be thrown out. I would call them and make sure that is correct, or hopefully incorrect information.

I understand being confused though, I did the mees in the wrong numbered slots, then thankfully found the error and corrected it.

Good luck to you.

perfunctory

Bronze

Post by perfunctory » Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:25 pm

PrissyG wrote:
perfunctory wrote:i sat for the bar few days ago and i remember that i put my name on the MPT when i wrote the headings like:

Yikes, I remember them telling us not to identify ourself a and if we did the mpt will be thrown out. I would call them and make sure that is correct, or hopefully incorrect information.

I understand being confused though, I did the mees in the wrong numbered slots, then thankfully found the error and corrected it.

Good luck to you.
do you mean you called them and corrected it, or that you corrected it during the exam? :(

perfunctory

Bronze

Post by perfunctory » Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:30 pm

Also, I remember them saying "don't write anything on the cover or boxes" identifying your name, but I don't think the instructions actually said anything. http://www.ncbex.org/pdfviewer/?file=%2 ... ment%2F229
but obviously arguing that is not going to fly...

:( I have no idea why i did what i did...

jaekeem

New

Post by jaekeem » Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:48 pm

I remember the instructions on the back saying don't write any identifying info, but nothing about that leading to an auto thrown out test. I actually got kinda surprised when I read it cause some of the practice MPT's I had read seemed to have used real names, while others used "examinee", so I thought either would be ok until I read the instructions on the back of the packet.

I think you should tell them. I doubt they throw your whole exam away. you prob just lose point(s) for not following instructions.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Lawman1865

Bronze

Post by Lawman1865 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:03 am

Sorry to hear that, it's a high-stress exam and the MPT instructions are sometimes pretty vague with that stuff. If it was just a first name I think that's probably better, if you put your first and last name that could potentially be very bad. In either situation (but especially scenario 2) it may be the right move to notify bar officials, though I could also hear an argument that doing so would only focus their attention on it whereas you may have just gotten away with it.

Tbh I think losing some points on the MPT may be a pretty good outcome in this case, all things considered.

Anyway good luck, hopefully it all works out without too much drama

JoeSeperac

Post by JoeSeperac » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:12 am

I've had almost 700 examinees send me their essays/MPTs since 2010. Maybe 30-40 wrote their full names on their MPT answers. No one received a zero. It's even hard for me to say if they lost a few points for not following instructions but that's what I would expect. Personally, I wouldn't even bother alerting the bar examiners because there is a strong possibility the grader won't even notice and by alerting them, you just asked them to knock your score down a little. I publish the MPTs I receive so I have to read each one carefully to see if anyone mistakenly put their name and even when I am looking for a real name, I sometimes gloss over the heading and miss it. Based on that, I think it's highly possible the grader won't notice if its in the heading (its more noticeable at the end as a signature).

PrissyG

New

Post by PrissyG » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:33 pm

perfunctory wrote:
PrissyG wrote:

Good luck to you.
do you mean you called them and corrected it, or that you corrected it during the exam? :(

I corrected it before I submitted my exam, Noticed it just under the 3hr mark. Thankfully.

perfunctory

Bronze

Post by perfunctory » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:42 pm

update: called bar and they said do not worry.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Jupiter33

New

Post by Jupiter33 » Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:27 pm

Honestly worried I just did the same thing. OP, can you confirm you passed / do you suggest I call as well?

mittens7

New

Post by mittens7 » Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:59 pm

I’m also terrified that I just did this on the MPT, like an idiot. Can anyone comment on what happened to them??

Marinobarreview

New

Post by Marinobarreview » Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:12 am

Hi, to anyone else who dis this (yes this definitely happens once in awhile), please do not panic. It does not mean you are going to fail the bar exam or that they will throw out your MPT automatically. If you would have otherwise passed the bar exam, you should be fine - having said that, from a pre-emotive point of view make sure when you practice writing MPTs before the exam, you are careful to avoid doing this - so it doesn't happen in the first place.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”