Question about Michigan Bar Essay Scaling Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Realabu

New

Question about Michigan Bar Essay Scaling

Post by Realabu » Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:12 pm

Hi All,

Trying to see if this has better luck as its own post (tried to post on the "Good MBE = auto pass bar" thread). I am currently in the early stages of considering the possibility of a move to Michigan. I'd been absolutely dreading having to take the full bar exam again, but just today discovered that it may be possible to transfer my MBE score over and only have to take the essay portion of the MI exam. Googling led me to this thread http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... &start=450 discussing "auto pass" (a term I wasn't familiar with but have now seen thrown around elsewhere).

I've been looking into the pass score requirements for Michigan and my understanding is that the minimum is (Scaled MBE Score + Essay Score)/2 = 135.

However, I'm confused about the Essay Score portion of the formula as I've read that the essays are scored out of 150 points. Is this then scaled to be on a 200 point scale similar to the MBE (comparable to the the score you get for the essay portion of the UBE - the MEE I believe it is)? I have a 178.5 MBE score. If my math is right, that means (as I don't believe there is a minimum in Michigan for either section individually) that I would need a 91.5 on the MI bar essays to pass. If that score is scaled then I will feel a lot better about having to retake, as I assume a 91.5 is a very low overall percentile. Thanks in advance for any help!

b290

Bronze

Re: Question about Michigan Bar Essay Scaling

Post by b290 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:58 am

Realabu wrote:Hi All,

Trying to see if this has better luck as its own post (tried to post on the "Good MBE = auto pass bar" thread). I am currently in the early stages of considering the possibility of a move to Michigan. I'd been absolutely dreading having to take the full bar exam again, but just today discovered that it may be possible to transfer my MBE score over and only have to take the essay portion of the MI exam. Googling led me to this thread http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... &start=450 discussing "auto pass" (a term I wasn't familiar with but have now seen thrown around elsewhere).

I've been looking into the pass score requirements for Michigan and my understanding is that the minimum is (Scaled MBE Score + Essay Score)/2 = 135.

However, I'm confused about the Essay Score portion of the formula as I've read that the essays are scored out of 150 points. Is this then scaled to be on a 200 point scale similar to the MBE (comparable to the the score you get for the essay portion of the UBE - the MEE I believe it is)? I have a 178.5 MBE score. If my math is right, that means (as I don't believe there is a minimum in Michigan for either section individually) that I would need a 91.5 on the MI bar essays to pass. If that score is scaled then I will feel a lot better about having to retake, as I assume a 91.5 is a very low overall percentile. Thanks in advance for any help!
The actual page is here, but I saved you the trouble by copying it below:
If an applicant has taken the Multi-state portion of the exam in another state, is there provision for transfer of the score? If the other state accepts transfer of MBE scores written in Michigan, a passing MBE score obtained within three years may transfer from that state. The applicant is still required to sit for the essay portion of the Michigan examination and must achieve a passing score as determined by a combination of the scores of the two portions of the examination. See MCL 600.934(3).

Transferring MBE score to Michigan from another jurisdiction:

You may transfer the scaled MBE score you achieved in another jurisdiction during the immediately preceding three years. The other jurisdiction must certify to the BLE:

- the date you took the MBE
- that you passed the entire bar examination of which that MBE was a part
- the MBE scaled score you achieved
- that the jurisdiction that administered that MBE affords a reciprocal transfer right to Michigan residents seeking admission to the bar of that jurisdiction

You are responsible for having information from another jurisdiction certified to the BLE. Use Form F-2 for this purpose. You must also notify the BLE, by letter to the Board, of your intent to transfer your MBE score, no later than May 15 for the July examination and December 15 for the February examination. This written notice of intent to transfer an MBE score is a necessary precondition to perfect your right to transfer your MBE score to Michigan. Additional information may be found at the NCBE website.
Just in case you're not sure as to whether you need to have passed previously, Form F-2 clearly asks where you passed.

Presuming that you meet the above requirements, getting a 91 scaled is a joke. But the MI exam can be a beast. You have 9 essays for 3 hours. That means have an average of 20 mins, per essay - including organizational time - and that's doing it non-stop. Also, you'd better know your Workers Comp, MI No-Fault and other stuff. There's a book on MI Essays that you should get. Essay practice is much more important for Michigan, that's usually what sinks people.

If you're moving to the Lansing area, you're better off going to the State Bar offices - calling there is useless most of the time.

As for scaling:

https://ameribar.com/michigan-bar-exam/
https://www.jdadvising.com/michigan-bar ... sier-pass/

Note: JD Advising is actually based in Michigan, so it's a really useful place for MI stuff.

Good luck!

My $.02

b290

Bronze

Post by b290 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:39 pm

b290 wrote:But the MI exam can be a beast. You have 9 essays for 3 hours.
Correction: 15 essays over 6 hours - 9 in the morning, 6 in the afternoon. Same problem.

My $.02

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:47 pm

Bumping this because I’m confused on score transfer as well based on the above comments and I’m looking to transfer my MBE score to Michigan as well.

I scored a 166 (estimated 96th percentile) on IL July 2018 MBE, so does this mean I need a 104 on the essay portion to pass? Is that a low essay score? I’m having trouble finding percentile data for Michigan but want to know what kind of lift it would be to prepare to pass the essay portion.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 06, 2020 2:51 pm

Bumping this as another interested MBE transfer applicant. Does anyone have suggestions on how to prepare just for the Michigan essay portion? Any good essay books I can self study with? I don’t think I’ll have to perform very well on the essays since I just found out I have a pretty good MBE score I can transfer, but don’t know anything enough about the Michigan bar essay format/prep to know what I need to do to prepare. Any suggestions appreciated!

b290

Bronze

Post by b290 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 2:51 pm
Bumping this as another interested MBE transfer applicant. Does anyone have suggestions on how to prepare just for the Michigan essay portion? Any good essay books I can self study with? I don’t think I’ll have to perform very well on the essays since I just found out I have a pretty good MBE score I can transfer, but don’t know anything enough about the Michigan bar essay format/prep to know what I need to do to prepare. Any suggestions appreciated!
Already addressed in above posts.

My $.02

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”