What to do between bar exam and release of results Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
FutureLawyer2

New

What to do between bar exam and release of results

Post by FutureLawyer2 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:06 pm

What is everyone doing post bar exam? Work? Getting materials ready? Panicking? Nothing? I'm curious to hear

JHP

Bronze

Re: What to do between bar exam and release of results

Post by JHP » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:13 am

Presumably you took the February bar? I took the bar last summer, so maybe slightly different situation timing-wise (bar was July, started work in Oct. so had time to kill versus people who take the bar in Feb while working). I had a really hard time not letting the constant, soul-crushing anxiety of "what ifs" get to me. I felt like my life was paused in this horrible Schroedinger's limbo where I passed/failed the bar and neither and both were true. Everyone kept saying to "try to keep your mind off it" but easier said than done--I did not find it possible to not think about the results, so the only other option was to find ways to make me feel like my life was still moving forward. For me, I traveled but also tried to be productive with checking things off task lists, re-kindling past hobbies, taking mini daily adventures, etc.

Smiddywesson

Bronze

Post by Smiddywesson » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:02 am

It's the slow, predictable descent from thinking you passed to being convinced you failed. I've virtually forgotten everything that went well with the test and blown all the bad completely out of proportion.
You can drink.
You can fret.
But in the end there's nothing you can do but resolve to do better next time if the news is not good.

This is so much worse than any of the hardships I encountered in prep and in actually taking the test. :!:

FutureLawyer2

New

Post by FutureLawyer2 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:05 am

I just dont get it. In NY, for instance, results are posted in end of April - which is also the last chance to register for the next bar exam. This is insane????

TheJuryMustDie

Bronze

Post by TheJuryMustDie » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:15 pm

FutureLawyer2 wrote:I just dont get it. In NY, for instance, results are posted in end of April - which is also the last chance to register for the next bar exam. This is insane????
That wouldn't be a problem because repeaters would get an extra 15 days to register in the event that registration closes before results are released.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

FutureLawyer2

New

Post by FutureLawyer2 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:24 pm

Thanks, do you have a source for that?

TheJuryMustDie

Bronze

Post by TheJuryMustDie » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:52 pm

FutureLawyer2 wrote:Thanks, do you have a source for that?
Not immediately. But I'm pretty certain that's the policy.

TheJuryMustDie

Bronze

Post by TheJuryMustDie » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:22 pm

FutureLawyer2 wrote:Thanks, do you have a source for that?
FYI

"Special Rule for Re-Applicants
APPLICATION FILING PERIOD
November 1 – November 30 April 1 – April 30
For applicants who failed the immediately preceding administration of the New York State Bar Examination, the deadline for filing a re-application for the next offered bar examination is the later of (i) the application filing deadline set forth in Board Rule 6000.4(b) [which is April 30th for a July exam or November 30th for a February exam] or (ii) the 14th day following the date of
the Board's release of the examination results.
Re-applicants who did not complete both days of the immediately preceding examination must file their application by April 30 for a July exam or
November 30 for a February exam."

Smiddywesson

Bronze

Post by Smiddywesson » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:13 pm

I've checked the bar results site 1000 times and they aren't due until tomorrow. My entire life has been reduced to looking to see if Applicant # 11533 is on the pass list. At this point, I don't even have an identity anymore, I am 11533, Protocol Droid, Human Cyborg Relations. On the other hand, maybe I fell asleep at the wheel of my 96' Silverado on the way home from the bar and I'm in Hell or some sort of purgatory where pushing this button will atone for my sins. Hmmm

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TheJuryMustDie

Bronze

Post by TheJuryMustDie » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:03 am

Smiddywesson wrote:I've checked the bar results site 1000 times and they aren't due until tomorrow. My entire life has been reduced to looking to see if Applicant # 11533 is on the pass list. At this point, I don't even have an identity anymore, I am 11533, Protocol Droid, Human Cyborg Relations. On the other hand, maybe I fell asleep at the wheel of my 96' Silverado on the way home from the bar and I'm in Hell or some sort of purgatory where pushing this button will atone for my sins. Hmmm
Lol. :D :D :D Going by your very strong MBE practice % , I reckon you'll pass though (easily). So don't fret. Enjoy the last few moments of the wait. Good luck!

lawgirl3521

New

Post by lawgirl3521 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:31 am

Smiddywesson wrote:I've checked the bar results site 1000 times and they aren't due until tomorrow. My entire life has been reduced to looking to see if Applicant # 11533 is on the pass list. At this point, I don't even have an identity anymore, I am 11533, Protocol Droid, Human Cyborg Relations. On the other hand, maybe I fell asleep at the wheel of my 96' Silverado on the way home from the bar and I'm in Hell or some sort of purgatory where pushing this button will atone for my sins. Hmmm
I'm dying :lol:
If nothing else you could write your own show or book or something, your writing is absolutely hilarious! Ironic, dry, succinct, witty - the best!!

Smiddywesson

Bronze

Post by Smiddywesson » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:51 pm

Meanwhile...
as a hundred Mississippi bar examinees wait in dread to see if their future is ruined, let's take peek into the Office of Bar Admissions:

"D-4"
"Miss, B-6"
"Ah, you sunk my battleship!"
"It's getting near quitting time, maybe we should get these scores out..."
"They'll keep, seventh game's the tie breaker."

kms181

New

Post by kms181 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:24 pm

:lol:
Smiddywesson wrote:Meanwhile...
as a hundred Mississippi bar examinees wait in dread to see if their future is ruined, let's take peek into the Office of Bar Admissions:

"D-4"
"Miss, B-6"
"Ah, you sunk my battleship!"
"It's getting near quitting time, maybe we should get these scores out..."
"They'll keep, seventh game's the tie breaker."
:lol: hang in there! not too much longer, now.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

anon sequitur

Silver

Post by anon sequitur » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:28 pm

My theory is that they'll only release results near close of business, because they last thing they want is a flood of calls from people who didn't pass asking sad questions. They'll release as soon as they're ready to leave work and give people a good 16 hours to deal with their grief before they can call.

Still, gonna check every five minutes.

lawgirl3521

New

Post by lawgirl3521 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:30 pm

anon sequitur wrote:My theory is that they'll only release results near close of business, because they last thing they want is a flood of calls from people who didn't pass asking sad questions. They'll release as soon as they're ready to leave work and give people a good 16 hours to deal with their grief before they can call.

I am living vicariously through your results. Our results come out next Wednesday.

Smiddywesson

Bronze

Post by Smiddywesson » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:33 pm

anon sequitur wrote:My theory is that they'll only release results near close of business, because they last thing they want is a flood of calls from people who didn't pass asking sad questions. They'll release as soon as they're ready to leave work and give people a good 16 hours to deal with their grief before they can call.

Now THERE is someone who understands the mind of a government bureaucrat! :D
How true. I am sure you are right. It's suspicious they stated the grades would be released on April 11th "by 7 pm"
They'll probably press send just before they walk out the door.

TheJuryMustDie

Bronze

Post by TheJuryMustDie » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:41 pm

Smiddywesson wrote:

How true. I am sure you are right. It's suspicious they stated the grades would be released on April 11th "by 7 pm"
7pm? How sadistic!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

anon sequitur

Silver

Post by anon sequitur » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:50 pm

Smiddywesson wrote:Now THERE is someone who understands the mind of a government bureaucrat! :D
Oh damn, didn't remember they said 7pm. I've been pretty good about not thinking about it until now, but today my productivity is shot. Oh well..

kms181

New

Post by kms181 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:17 pm

Smiddywesson wrote:

What government employee sticks around past 5pm? Our results were posted precisely at 4:01pm, and on a Friday at that.

anon sequitur

Silver

Post by anon sequitur » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:06 pm

Yep, I was right, results released at 5:01 PM. Passed! :-)

anonymous5491

New

Post by anonymous5491 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:43 pm

anon sequitur wrote:Yep, I was right, results released at 5:01 PM. Passed! :-)
Nice! They say anything about how the MBE was scaled?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Smiddywesson

Bronze

Post by Smiddywesson » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:20 pm

PASSED!

My wife calls me as I commute home and says "Well you must be happy." After threatening to kill her and wear her skin if this were a joke, I knew she was serious. Wow!

Computer melts down,
Didn't study the right materials for multiple essays,
Spent too much time on the MPT and screwed myself....
And then, being bad and all that, I reaches into that big ole brain and pulls out the win baby!!!!

This result, where I should have failed but didn't, validates all my opinions about how to prioritize, and prepare for this test. The ironic thing is if I knew then what I knew now, I wouldn't have gone through such a soul shaking experience. I just want to break down in the surf like Chuck Heston at the feet of the fallen Statue of Liberty and rage "You MANIACS, you blew up my life for NOTHING!"

Thank you everyone for your kind support. The Mrs. and I are in the champagne like bears in the trash cans. Wow, just wow.

Smiddywesson

Bronze

Post by Smiddywesson » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:24 pm

anon sequitur wrote:Yep, I was right, results released at 5:01 PM. Passed! :-)
Outstanding! We are killing some brain cells here on the Mississippi Gulf Coast because we also got good news today. It's amazing how much stupid stuff one can do, and how much bad luck can befall one, and yet we still pass. This is nothing like my first bar in 1989, this really mattered more than I ever would have expected.

I10attorney

New

Post by I10attorney » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:56 pm

Smiddywesson wrote:PASSED!

My wife calls me as I commute home and says "Well you must be happy." After threatening to kill her and wear her skin if this were a joke, I knew she was serious. Wow!

Computer melts down,
And then, being bad and all that, I reaches into that big ole brain and pulls out the win baby!!!!

This result, where I should have failed but didn't, validates all my opinions about how to prioritize, and prepare for this test. The ironic thing is if I knew then what I knew now, I wouldn't have gone through such a soul shaking experience. I just want to break down in the surf like Chuck Heston at the feet of the fallen Statue of Liberty and rage "You MANIACS, you blew up my life for NOTHING!"

Thank you everyone for your kind support. The Mrs. and I are in the champagne like bears in the trash cans. Wow, just wow.
Congratulations!! After the hangover of relief wears off, don't forget about those of us still waiting Smit. We look forward to your musings :)

TheJuryMustDie

Bronze

Post by TheJuryMustDie » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:18 am

Smiddywesson wrote:PASSED!

Computer melts down,

Many congratulations! Very well deserved. I trust you'll let us have your score breakdown when the euphoria subsides a bit. :D Well done again!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”