What to do between bar exam and release of results Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Smiddywesson

Bronze

Re: What to do between bar exam and release of results

Post by Smiddywesson » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:12 am

Making Alcoholism Great Again! :D

By my count, MS had 56 pass out of 99 examinees. Last year was 31% and the year before was 35%. That's a significant difference, but a pool of only 99 isn't very large so maybe that accounts for such a wide disparity.

fpkjd

New

Post by fpkjd » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:58 am

What I'm doing:

A LOT.

I found out earlier this week I was promoted to a Senior Claims Examiner position (Federal Grade GS-11) at my job here at the VA in the Life Insurance division. The new job (with a big raise and a new basket of responsibilities, including assisting in supervising employees of my former GS-9 grade) starts Monday. Bar Passage is not needed for this position although it'll certainly be a plus if I find out after 4 PM today that I passed and can then give initial legal advice to my bosses on some of the screwier cases we have before they go up the chain of command to the experienced lawyers in our Program Management Dept and Office of Regional Counsel. That's if I pass, of course.

I now have 13.5 years in with my agency and hope to retire as a lawyer/supervisor (maybe both). I'm well on the way now. This has been a fun week.

--fpkjd

Smiddywesson

Bronze

Post by Smiddywesson » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:40 pm

TheJuryMustDie wrote:
Smiddywesson wrote:PASSED!

My wife calls me as I commute home and says "Well you must be happy." After threatening to kill her and wear her skin if this were a joke, I knew she was serious. Wow!

Computer melts down,
Didn't study the right materials for multiple essays,
Spent too much time on the MPT and screwed myself....
And then, being bad and all that, I reaches into that big ole brain and pulls out the win baby!!!!

This result, where I should have failed but didn't, validates all my opinions about how to prioritize, and prepare for this test. The ironic thing is if I knew then what I knew now, I wouldn't have gone through such a soul shaking experience. I just want to break down in the surf like Chuck Heston at the feet of the fallen Statue of Liberty and rage "You MANIACS, you blew up my life for NOTHING!"

Thank you everyone for your kind support. The Mrs. and I are in the champagne like bears in the trash cans. Wow, just wow.
Many congratulations! Very well deserved. I trust you'll let us have your score breakdown when the euphoria subsides a bit. :D Well done again!

Will do, however MS doesn't send them unless you fail. The cheapskates require a written request and another $25 bucks, which I fired off this morning. I can't wait for the scores, it's got to be a huge MBE to counter weigh the essays, LOL! I feel like Ft. Apache and the calvary arrived just in time to save my scalp. (gulp)

fpkjd

New

Post by fpkjd » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:50 pm

On the other hand, I failed again. I'm not sure by how many points; I think that I didn't do well enough on the MBE.

When I get my score report, I'll post the results.

--fpkjd

I10attorney

New

Post by I10attorney » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:21 pm

Smiddywesson wrote:
TheJuryMustDie wrote:

My wife calls me as I commute home and says "Well you must be happy." After threatening to kill her and wear her skin if this were a joke, I knew she was serious. Wow!

Computer melts down,
And then, being bad and all that, I reaches into that big ole brain and pulls out the win baby!!!!

This result, where I should have failed but didn't, validates all my opinions about how to prioritize, and prepare for this test. The ironic thing is if I knew then what I knew now, I wouldn't have gone through such a soul shaking experience. I just want to break down in the surf like Chuck Heston at the feet of the fallen Statue of Liberty and rage "You MANIACS, you blew up my life for NOTHING!"

Thank you everyone for your kind support. The Mrs. and I are in the champagne like bears in the trash cans. Wow, just wow.
Many congratulations! Very well deserved. I trust you'll let us have your score breakdown when the euphoria subsides a bit. :D Well done again!

Will do, however MS doesn't send them unless you fail. The cheapskates require a written request and another $25 bucks, which I fired off this morning. I can't wait for the scores, it's got to be a huge MBE to counter weigh the essays, LOL! I feel like Ft. Apache and the calvary arrived just in time to save my scalp. (gulp)
I hope you're enjoying your first weekend free of either prepping for the test or fretting over the results :D. I used many of the same study aids you used with the exception of one - Crushendo. I've seen it mentioned in a few other posts/forums. Is it worth it or do you think S&T, CMR, Critical Pass, Kaplan are sufficient? I plan to sit for the UBE and I would love to experience the type of MBE confidence you've shared in your posts. In your opinion did Crushendo play a role?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

I10attorney

New

Post by I10attorney » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:24 pm

I10attorney wrote:
Smiddywesson wrote:
TheJuryMustDie wrote:

Computer melts down,

I hope you're enjoying your first weekend free of either prepping for the test or fretting over the results :D. I used many of the same study aids you used with the exception of one - Crushendo. I've seen it mentioned in a few other posts/forums. Is it worth it or do you think S&T, CMR, Critical Pass, Kaplan are sufficient? I plan to sit for the UBE and I would love to experience the type of MBE confidence you've shared in your posts. In your opinion did Crushendo play a role?
...also used Adaptibar

Smiddywesson

Bronze

Post by Smiddywesson » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:14 am

I10attorney wrote:
I10attorney wrote:
Smiddywesson wrote:
TheJuryMustDie wrote:

Computer melts down,

...also used Adaptibar
Thanks, my pass diploma came in the mail Saturday, most rewarding.

Crushendo: That depends on a number of different factors. I commute 2 hours a day, and I had pretty much exhausted the Barbri and PMBR lectures. That left Crushendo as the only real alternative. They are kind of pricey, but they also come with very good outlines. I liked to approach Evidence and CivPro as many different angles as possible to "get it." That helped a lot. I wish I had made more use of their materials, but we are awash with study aids and simply run out of time before the test.

fpkjd

New

Post by fpkjd » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:17 am

Have my failing numbers, and the ugly truths thereof:

Needed 272 to pass PA. Got 239. A little closer, but...

Essay score (scaled) 120.979
MBE Score (scaled) 118

I decided both for finances and my sanity to take a little time off, study on a slow-lane basis with the materials I already have over the summer, and register in October to retake Pennsylvania next February in 2020, also buying the full Themis Bar Course as well as Adaptibar. I need to ground myself a lot better in the basics before I try again.

Wish me luck-we'll see how this goes later in the year and next year.

--fpkjd

I10attorney

New

Post by I10attorney » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:23 am

Smiddywesson wrote:
I10attorney wrote:
I10attorney wrote:
Smiddywesson wrote:
TheJuryMustDie wrote:

Computer melts down,

...also used Adaptibar
Thanks, my pass diploma came in the mail Saturday, most rewarding.

Crushendo: That depends on a number of different factors. I commute 2 hours a day, and I had pretty much exhausted the Barbri and PMBR lectures. That left Crushendo as the only real alternative. They are kind of pricey, but they also come with very good outlines. I liked to approach Evidence and CivPro as many different angles as possible to "get it." That helped a lot. I wish I had made more use of their materials, but we are awash with study aids and simply run out of time before the test.
TY. I agree, I am inundated with a plethora of materials (hopefully not to my detriment), but Crushendo's sample looked promising.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

I10attorney

New

Post by I10attorney » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:28 am

fpkjd wrote:Have my failing numbers, and the ugly truths thereof:

Needed 272 to pass PA. Got 239. A little closer, but...

Essay score (scaled) 120.979
MBE Score (scaled) 118

I decided both for finances and my sanity to take a little time off, study on a slow-lane basis with the materials I already have over the summer, and register in October to retake Pennsylvania next February in 2020, also buying the full Themis Bar Course as well as Adaptibar. I need to ground myself a lot better in the basics before I try again.

Wish me luck-we'll see how this goes later in the year and next year.

--fpkjd
If I don't hear good news from TX in a few weeks, I'm thinking this might be a smart approach. Hang in there :)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”