2019 July California Bar Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
TangibleChange33

New

Re: 2019 July California Bar

Post by TangibleChange33 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:26 pm

9xSound wrote:
Bingo_Bongo wrote:
jrpreston wrote: I can all but guarantee they will take off points. And judging by the way they grade, it won't be a little amount. I know that for the UBE's MPT they will start you off at 50% from the start.
Source? It's my understanding that the individual states are in charge of grading the MPTs, so wouldn't each state administering the MPT come up with the appropriate rubrics/deductions for mistakes?

Honestly, I doubt you'd receive anything more than a 10 point deduction off your total scaled score. Why? Because that's the deduction you receive if you fail to upload your essays on time (arguably a way bigger mistake than putting your name on your test). The bar also feels the need to announce the sanction for this mistake on their website, which leads me to believe if they felt a mistake was worth more than that, they'd also put that sanction up there as well.
9xSound wrote:A candidate who so carelessly — or just plain stupidly — writes his or her real name on any portion of the test doesn't deserve a law license.
Oh, come on.
I know my remark seems overly severe — and it probably is. But in the real world of litigation, it's a merciless, bloody dogfight. Your opponents will seize and take advantage of you every chance they get. They'll burn you to the ground at all costs. Don't go into this profession hoping to find nice people who will give you a pass. They don't.
This person is not asking this question "in the real world of litigation." The question is being posed because she is concerned about a mistake she made on her PT. I assume she is hoping for an accurate answer (based on experience or reliable information) about how this may change her score. There is no need for a lesson on the real world of litigation because it is not relevant. The lessons the Bar exam teaches us are to 1) pay attention to small details because they are necessary in achieving a larger goal; 2) patience; 3) persistence ("dog fight" of academic rigor mixed with the emotion of studying for the exam; 4) Learn from your mistake; and 5) Pay attention to yourself and what works best for you...ALL of these lesson are far more valuable and applicable towards being a good attorney than your overly harsh, irrelevant comment....Yes, litigation can be merciless blahblah, maybe she wants to be a transnational lawyer? or work for a non-profit? Just be honest with yourself and realize you are not being nice. Lets choose to support rather than attack behind a screen.

That being said I actually don't know the answer for the PT question. Call the Bar and ask. Sorry for the mental anguish you are going through. Everyone has a few regrettable moments during the Bar. Try not to dwell.

yespasscbx

New

Post by yespasscbx » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:25 am

'approximately 8% of applicants did not show up for the exam'

https://abovethelaw.com/2019/08/hundred ... opic-leak/

Considering this no-show rate, I think we're going to see a lower pass rate for this administration :|

rcharter1978

Gold

Post by rcharter1978 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:35 pm

yespasscbx wrote:'approximately 8% of applicants did not show up for the exam'

Considering this no-show rate, I think we're going to see a lower pass rate for this administration :|
That's surprising. I'd be pissed too, but by the time the situation came to light everyone had been studying for like three months. I couldn't imagine putting my life on hold any longer after being hyped up and putting in that work.

Even if they got a rebate on the exam, what about hotel room?

But yeah, maybe it was mostly people who already felt unprepared and we're only taking the exam because they couldn't get a refund

Bingo_Bongo

Bronze

Post by Bingo_Bongo » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:20 am

That's only very slightly above the usual no-show rate. Usually it's around 6-7%. I'm guessing that very slight bump might be attributed to applicants being able to get their money back. In most cases, the applicants who go into the bar not having passed a single practice test can't seek a refund, so they usually just tough it out and fail anyway. This year, since refunds were offered, I'm guessing quite a few people took the bar up on that offer knowing that they would fail if they took the exam.

There also might be a few applicants who were praying for certain essay subjects to save them. When they saw what the essay topics were, that might have killed any hope they had and made the choice to seek the refund easier.

But, I'm guessing very very few of the people who sought refunds did so because of the leak. The no-shows were already probably planning on just no-showing it, but figured they might as well get their money back.

JDJM6215

New

Post by JDJM6215 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:34 am

Those who took the exam, how was professional responsibility tested? Did that come into play on the PT? Did the essay require discussion on any of the new CA rules?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

yespasscbx

New

Post by yespasscbx » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:31 am

Bingo_Bongo wrote:

But, I'm guessing very very few of the people who sought refunds did so because of the leak.
I agree with you: the leak was not the reason ... it was the excuse.

I believe very few people have that 'I'm well prepared' feeling when stepping into the test center; and I believe most of us have that anxiety, uncertainty and lack of confidence in the last couple of days before the exam. I ask myself what I would do if I was given the chance of refund within the last 24 hours. To be honest, I might have withdrawn ... as rcharter1978 said 'we're only taking the exam because we couldn't get a refund' :D

belmont123

New

Post by belmont123 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:10 pm

Does anyone know what was the third issue on the contracts question? With the exclusive agency? What was I missing...

storrez0724

New

Post by storrez0724 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:34 pm

In all honesty, I thought knowing the topics was a huge advantage. If you weren't ready by then, you weren't ready. And for the most part, you could guess those topics, contracts and con law hadnt been on the exam since last summer and they were major topics. PR is on every exam and Civ Pro also had not been a stand alone essay while being a major topic for at least two years. Crim Pro and Crim law also had not bee on the essays for almost two years and they are MBE topics. Just knowing the patterns would have given you 5 out of 5 topics.

Contracts third issue? it was a valid contract, due to the sale of the vehicle being the condition to performance by the other side; the death of the person selling the car would not excuse the estate from the contract. You could go into it being unilateral and bilateral but I had no time at that point. You could also state that it was anticipatory repudiation on part of the seller, saying he no longer needed the agent to sell the car, breaching a valid contract. That would lead to either expectation damages or specific performance discussion with monetary damages being quantifiable and leading to the agent gaining a portion of the sale if specific performance were granted to either the first or second buyer.

Alexandra99

New

Post by Alexandra99 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:25 pm

nappingwolf wrote:Also wanted to add that I'm self-studying. Took barbri before my first try and the one-size-fits-all didn't work for me. I felt like a deer in headlights the entire time, going through the motions perfectly tho because I'm an ace at passive studying.

My roadblock has been the MBEs. Writing was a strength, my scaled written for F12 was 1489. I don't even want to say what my MBE score was because it hurts. I've always had this impractical fear of practice questions - even in law school - as if the stuff I learned/memorized would disappear. So in the past, I approached prep simply by rote memorizing EVERYTHING... I know why I didn't pass. I suck at preparation and have gotten by my entire life just winging it but I'm here to learn to change that.

For a general law refresher, I'm using:
barbri Conviser Mini J18/F19

For essays:
Mary Basick's Essay Exam Writing - great attack sheets, will probably use this to memorize later
Jeff Adachi's Bar Breaker (old) - great essay approach tips
Will be signing up for BarEssays

For MBE's:
S&T - started this last month and am at like 55%
PMBR's red and blue books (old)
Will be signing up for Adaptibar

For PT's:
PTs were a strength, got a 70 on one with no practice beforehand. But with the new 90-min format I'll have to do a few full PTs

I've given up on outlining. I love busywork, makes me feel like I'm being productive but I end up overwhelmed with like 38 outlines and then I feel compelled to ditch practice questions and start memorizing because of the sheer amount of material in front of me. I'm scared to death of not doing that because that's my comfort zone, but need to truly learn the law this time. Hoping that practice brings on some natural memorization, like some of you have said. And I suppose I'll focus on memorization 2 weeks before the bar when I plan to take some time off of work. Feel free to chime in if any of this could use tweaking.
Hello, nappingwolf. How did your July exam go?

I am new to this forum and am planning on taking the Feb. 2020 exam. I have similar, if not exact, concerns, fears, etc. that you posted about. I'm a repeat taker; this will be attempt number five. As such, I no longer have the luxury of taking time off and work full-time. Did you continue to work full-time during your studying? If so, how did organize your studying? I feel like this is my biggest hurdle. I, too, used Barbri the first couple of times and I, too, felt overwhelmed. It was too much information. I've inherited resources from friends from other box prep companies; my outlines, friend's outlines, outlines from the web and even a box of the infamous Critical Pass flash cards (should I really use them?) I'm drowning though I'm going to look up Mary Basick's book right after I hit the "Submit" button on this message.

Any input and advice would be appreciated. Thank you and I hope you get some good news in November!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

thizzinmybrainsout

New

Post by thizzinmybrainsout » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:24 pm

http://www.calbar.ca.gov/Portals/0/docu ... stions.pdf

July '19 essay questions/PT are up on site

Ksapatlawyer

New

Post by Ksapatlawyer » Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:40 am

Results now only only one month away!

BrainToast

New

Post by BrainToast » Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:07 pm

rcharter1978 wrote:
9xSound wrote:
Bingo_Bongo wrote:
jrpreston wrote: I can all but guarantee they will take off points. And judging by the way they grade, it won't be a little amount. I know that for the UBE's MPT they will start you off at 50% from the start.
Source? It's my understanding that the individual states are in charge of grading the MPTs, so wouldn't each state administering the MPT come up with the appropriate rubrics/deductions for mistakes?

Honestly, I doubt you'd receive anything more than a 10 point deduction off your total scaled score. Why? Because that's the deduction you receive if you fail to upload your essays on time (arguably a way bigger mistake than putting your name on your test). The bar also feels the need to announce the sanction for this mistake on their website, which leads me to believe if they felt a mistake was worth more than that, they'd also put that sanction up there as well.
9xSound wrote:A candidate who so carelessly — or just plain stupidly — writes his or her real name on any portion of the test doesn't deserve a law license.
Oh, come on.
I know my remark seems overly severe — and it probably is. But in the real world of litigation, it's a merciless, bloody dogfight. Your opponents will seize and take advantage of you every chance they get. They'll burn you to the ground at all costs. Don't go into this profession hoping to find nice people who will give you a pass. They don't.
Yes future attorneys, please know that in the real world opposing counsel will definitely start a war over you writing your name in the wrong place. That is EXACTLY how the profession works. LOL.

Law & Order: Clerical Error Unit

I guess 9xSound never heard of a Notice of Errata and CCP 473.

Most law students don't get that not many mistakes in practice are fatal. If you mess up, you just have to fix it in a timely manner. The law understands and allows for mistakes.

Recentgrad

New

Post by Recentgrad » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:30 pm

Does anyone know, assuming all other requirements are satisfied, how quickly can one expect to receive an enrollment card with the oath in the mail after passing the exam on Nov. 15? Apparently you have to mail back to the Bar that exact copy of the card, and I’m trying to figure out how soon after Nov 15 (assuming I pass) I can fly out of the country for the rest of the year.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

xoxoBlairWaldorf

New

Post by xoxoBlairWaldorf » Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:09 am

Recentgrad wrote:Does anyone know, assuming all other requirements are satisfied, how quickly can one expect to receive an enrollment card with the oath in the mail after passing the exam on Nov. 15? Apparently you have to mail back to the Bar that exact copy of the card, and I’m trying to figure out how soon after Nov 15 (assuming I pass) I can fly out of the country for the rest of the year.

If everything is satisfied, the oath card will come with your results on Monday or Tuesday (depending on where you live in CA).

I attended the swearing-in so not sure about mailing the oath card. I can tell you that I received my bar number about 1-2 days after the swearing-in. Remember that CLEs don't count until you have a bar number so if you're at a firm and know you passed, I would try and avoid CLE eligible trainings until you receive the bar number.

Happy88

New

Post by Happy88 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:59 am

Is anyone else freaking the f out now that the results are around the corner?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:39 pm

Any chance it releases early? Or is 11/15 @ 5pm firm.

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:54 pm

It NEVER releases early. There's no way to know ahead of time.

Then again, with the fiasco of the subjects leaking, you never know... But you can bet on it not releasing early.

Again, for those in the back (because there's someone who asks every time), it always comes out at the stated time.

Good luck to everyone!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:35 pm

Happy88 wrote:Is anyone else freaking the f out now that the results are around the corner?
Right here! Totally freaking out! What sucks is that I keep trying to "grade" myself. Just cannot get it out of my mind :( 7 more days :|

WhatsUP?

New

Post by WhatsUP? » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:33 pm

Wishing everyone all the best!!!!!

rcharter1978

Gold

Post by rcharter1978 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:19 am

Good luck everyone!

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:37 pm

Best of luck to all! I'm rooting for everyone and will be here before 6 to report the pass rates ASAP (sometimes released a few minutes early) and congratulate/commiserate.

Any MTYLT readers out there will start seeing a new batch of emails until Feb starting tomorrow.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

barprepforca

New

Post by barprepforca » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:09 pm

a male human wrote:It NEVER releases early. There's no way to know ahead of time.

Then again, with the fiasco of the subjects leaking, you never know... But you can bet on it not releasing early.

Again, for those in the back (because there's someone who asks every time), it always comes out at the stated time.

Good luck to everyone!
Hey all! As someone who took the exam in July 2018 just wanted to share my experience. Last year the July results started appearing in peoples accounts ~10 minutes before the results were supposed to be released. I didn’t get any word that I passed until like a minute before the results were supposed to come up (I.e. bar results were supposed to come out at 5 pm, notified I passed at 4:59 pm) and thought I had failed so if your friends tell you they’ve passed but the results have yet to officially come out don’t give up hope!

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:09 pm

Pass rate goes up to 50.1%!

http://www.calbar.ca.gov/About-Us/News- ... am-results

How'd y'all do?

yespasscbx

New

Post by yespasscbx » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:25 pm

a male human wrote:Pass rate goes up to 50.1%!

http://www.calbar.ca.gov/About-Us/News- ... am-results

How'd y'all do?
Wow! Is it the highest pass rate ever?

Congratulations to all those who passed!

Necho2

Bronze

Post by Necho2 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:04 pm

Pass. For future reference, slightly above 70% raw scores on the MBE section, but stubbornly low scores on the graded essays (averaged probably slightly below passing), although I felt like I usually did pretty well when self-grading. Will believe for the rest of my life that my essay grader was intentionally low-grading me since I got a really good score on my first essay which I literally never equaled...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”