Top Scorer for New York Bar Exam Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Achiever95

New

Top Scorer for New York Bar Exam

Post by Achiever95 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:24 am

I am just curious whether the NY BOLE announces the top scorers for the bar exam. I know Texas does this, but Texas hasn't adopted the UBE yet.

Can anyone confirm whether this is announced or not? I know most people want to just pass the exam, but just curious as to whether the top scorers are celebrated in any way. Thnx

JoeSeperac

Re: Top Scorer for New York Bar Exam

Post by JoeSeperac » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:16 pm

NYBOLE doesn’t announce the top scorers for the bar exam. NYBOLE doesn’t even tell examinees if their answers are used as exemplars on their website. I statistically analyze bar essays (it’s a free 43 page report, but you may not receive it for weeks because it takes time to prepare). As part of that analysis, I compare the examinee’s essay statistics to the top scoring answers. In 2013, one examinee sent me his essays and I found his correlation to one of the released answers was 100%. After spending some time trying to figure out why my spreadsheet was broken, I realized this examinee wrote that released answer. Prior to this point, I had always assumed that the released answers only came from passing examinees. Yet somehow this examinee had failed the exam despite earning a score of 85 for that essay (and by failing was able to obtain his essays).

When I told the examinee he wrote one of the released above average answers, he told me he had no idea (no one from NYBOLE told him). He told me that he spent 60 minutes on this essay (at the time, NY essays were 40-45 minutes long) and he said he did so well on it because he was very familiar with the precise topics asked based on his studying. He had no prior knowledge of the subject other than what he learned in law school and through his bar review course. In contrast, none of the examinee’s other essays stood out as exceptional. For example, the examinee told me he spent 65 minutes on another essay but earned just a 38 on it.

If you passed (making you ineligible to order your essays), you would probably never know if you wrote one of the released answer exemplars. For example, whenever an examinee tells me they achieved a top written score (e.g. 184 in NY), I will ask them to check the released answers to see if one of them is theirs. To date, no one has concretely told me they recognize a released answer as theirs.

Achiever95

New

Re: Top Scorer for New York Bar Exam

Post by Achiever95 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:20 pm

Thanks Joe!!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”