Explaining having missed jury duty on my bar application Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Explaining having missed jury duty on my bar application

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:50 pm

I apologize in advance if this is the wrong forum to ask. Please point me to the right forum if that’s the case.

I was summoned early this year and missed jury duty without asking for a deferral. I reached out to the court clerk to reschedule after about two months and subsequently fulfilled my duty a few months later. No warranty or penalty was issued. I didn’t think much of it when I first missed it, but I realized how big of a mistake/bad conduct that is afterwards and really regret it.

Has anyone been in my situation or does anyone know a friend/acquaintance who’s been in my shoes? I’d appreciate any advice or opinion. Thanks in advance.

Beatmyshorts

New

Re: Explaining having missed jury duty on my bar application

Post by Beatmyshorts » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:03 pm

I'm confused why you'd need to put this on your application at all. Obviously you have to put down arrests and criminal charges, but unless you were charged with a crime or penalized in some way I don't see a problem.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:11 pm

OP. Bar application asks if you’ve failed to answer any tickets, summons or other legal process served upon you at any time under “Civil Matters” section. I assumed it includes jury summons since it says “any” summons. But I guess it doesn’t since it’s under Civil Matters?

Beatmyshorts

New

Post by Beatmyshorts » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:38 pm

I get it now.

I think you write basically what you put here: "In January 2018, I received a summons for jury duty in X County. At the time, I was less organized than I should have been and I misplaced the summons and then forgot about it altogether. I found the summons two months later and immediately called the clerk of the court for X county and rescheduled my jury service. I ultimately served as a juror for Y days in Z type of case, and found the experience to be rewarding. I deeply regret failing to appear for service when initially summonsed and I have taken steps to be more organized so that this type of mistake doesn't happen again."

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:31 pm

Yea I guess the best way to approach this is to be honest and straightforward. That’s really helpful. Thank you so much for your two cents!

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:40 pm

Beatmyshorts wrote:I get it now.

I think you write basically what you put here: "In January 2018, I received a summons for jury duty in X County. At the time, I was less organized than I should have been and I misplaced the summons and then forgot about it altogether. I found the summons two months later and immediately called the clerk of the court for X county and rescheduled my jury service. I ultimately served as a juror for Y days in Z type of case, and found the experience to be rewarding. I deeply regret failing to appear for service when initially summonsed and I have taken steps to be more organized so that this type of mistake doesn't happen again."

Agree this is the approach I’d take as well. And in reality, this probably isn’t what the question is getting at... so they’ll read the answer, roll eyes, and move along. That said, I think it’s better to just lay it out then “guess” at what the question is looking for.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”