Anyone else finish the mbe really early? Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
scard

New

Anyone else finish the mbe really early?

Post by scard » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:13 pm

Anyone else finish early for both sessions?

Morning session I finished maybe 20 minutes early and after noon session I finished 30 minutes early.

I did 3100 practice mbe questions and was finishing them in the 85% range but the bar exam was Slightly different than what was offered by the mbe practice questions as others have noted. I still feel confident about it but what about others?

Also if any passers are still around I’d like to know if you passed after finishing early

masterherm

New

Re: Anyone else finish the mbe really early?

Post by masterherm » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:18 pm

That’s a pretty bad sign. Most people I’ve talked to who passed took all their time, and the ones I know who failed finished early and felt confident.

Findedeux

Bronze

Post by Findedeux » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:25 pm

I didn't Themis and for practice sets would usually finish early but not for the practice exams.

I did finish about 20 mins early in pm and so did most of the people sitting next to me.

I felt a little more pressured to answer quickly and was also very sleep deprived.

4LTsPointingNorth

Bronze

Post by 4LTsPointingNorth » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:39 pm

I finished both sessions 30-40 minutes early. I did around 2000 practice problems and 5 timed 100 question sets during my bar prep, and my time on the actual exam was an almost exact match with my average times in bar prep.

I wouldn't worry unless your experience on the exam itself was a significant deviation from how you performed in your prep.

FinallyPassedTheBar

Bronze

Post by FinallyPassedTheBar » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:47 pm

I passed CA July 2017. I finished the afternoon MBE 45 minutes early, and that included a bathroom break. But I used the extra time just to review my answers. I believe I changed 2 or 3 answers. I ended up scoring at least 150 scaled, closer to 160 by my unscientific estimate.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Calbears123

Bronze

Post by Calbears123 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:55 pm

I went 95% on Barbri and did all of AdaptiBar so what’s that about 3000-3500 Mbe questions? Anyway I took my time and finished 20 minutes on both sets. I thought the exam was “different” but decided against going over the exam and stick with my first answers. I don’t think 20 minutes is to early.

scard

New

Post by scard » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:04 pm

Thanks for the inspiration.. it’s about identical to what my bar prep was.

I did 4 sets of 100 questions without answer review as part of my 3100 questions on bar prep and was scoring 85% on 3/4 sets and 70% on the 4th sent

RecruiterMan

New

Post by RecruiterMan » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:08 pm

I finished both with an hour to spare. didn't necessarily feel superconfident, but staring at it for longer would not have made things better I think

domino

Bronze

Post by domino » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:55 pm

same - i'm sure there was a lot i missed, i felt confident on 50-60% of the questions and the rest, there were a few it benefitted me to think about and come back to, others i suspect i was just missing info

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

max_p

New

Post by max_p » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:32 pm

I finished 15 min early on both sections and left the room. I figured that there was no way to productively use 15 min to review a 100 question test. Even if I went back over my answers I highly doubt I would've changed anything. On the Kaplan final I was about 20 questions above the Kaplan average, FWIW.

Lawworld19

Bronze

Post by Lawworld19 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:35 pm

Finished both with around 15-20 mins left. Second 100 I was real tired.

Cop2lawyerNYC

New

Post by Cop2lawyerNYC » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:46 pm

Finished both parts 15-20 min early. I finished all the barmax questions. Overall average was 72%, but my last 400-500 questions were in the 85% range. I also did barbri and was in the 90 percentile on their final exam (I only completed 45% of program, but this was bec i didn’t watch the videos ). I also did the last set of NCBE questions and got an 89% percent.
This test was different. From comparing notes with others I know of 6 questions that I got wrong and ~ 20 that I got right. The remaining 170+- I have no idea. I’m hoping my practice average is accurate. I suck at essays (slow typer) so I hope I did well enough on the mbe to carry me to the finish line.

estefanchanning

Bronze

Post by estefanchanning » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:01 pm

Cop2lawyerNYC wrote:Finished both parts 15-20 min early. I finished all the barmax questions. Overall average was 72%, but my last 400-500 questions were in the 85% range. I also did barbri and was in the 90 percentile on their final exam (I only completed 45% of program, but this was bec i didn’t watch the videos ). I also did the last set of NCBE questions and got an 89% percent.
This test was different. From comparing notes with others I know of 6 questions that I got wrong and ~ 20 that I got right. The remaining 170+- I have no idea. I’m hoping my practice average is accurate. I suck at essays (slow typer) so I hope I did well enough on the mbe to carry me to the finish line.
This is literally 100% me down to completion rate. Are we da same person

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Cop2lawyerNYC

New

Post by Cop2lawyerNYC » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:36 pm

estefanchanning wrote:
Cop2lawyerNYC wrote:Finished both parts 15-20 min early. I finished all the barmax questions. Overall average was 72%, but my last 400-500 questions were in the 85% range. I also did barbri and was in the 90 percentile on their final exam (I only completed 45% of program, but this was bec i didn’t watch the videos ). I also did the last set of NCBE questions and got an 89% percent.
Here’s hoping we pull that 166+- scaled MBE as per our pre-test performance indicate.

I even botched a simple essay conclusion because I messed up the math (I know, can’t talk about specific questions!!) so I’m counting on my MBEs

estefanchanning

Bronze

Post by estefanchanning » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:39 pm

Cop2lawyerNYC wrote:
estefanchanning wrote:
Here’s hoping we pull that 166+- scaled MBE as per our pre-test performance indicate.

I even botched a simple essay conclusion because I messed up the math (I know, can’t talk about specific questions!!) so I’m counting on my MBEs
I mischaracterized a community property asset via typo (wrote SP instead of CP)...so yeah, I really hope something pulls through.

I'm very confident in one of my essays though, so I hope that balances the essay scales

kyle010723

Silver

Post by kyle010723 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:01 am

scard wrote:Anyone else finish early for both sessions?

Morning session I finished maybe 20 minutes early and after noon session I finished 30 minutes early.

I did 3100 practice mbe questions and was finishing them in the 85% range but the bar exam was Slightly different than what was offered by the mbe practice questions as others have noted. I still feel confident about it but what about others?

Also if any passers are still around I’d like to know if you passed after finishing early
When I took it back in 2015, I remember finishing both sections with about an hour to spare. I remember I clocked in about 1 min per question during Bar prep. Eitherway, if you were averaging 85%+, I’m sure you easily passed.

scard

New

Post by scard » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:26 am

I hope you guys are all right about it.

Seems like there are not a lot of people who came in to say they failed miserably after finishing really early.. quite the opposite looks to be trend.

This was my 6th attempt

All other 5 attempts had me either rushing to finish or with only a few minutes to spare on one of the sessions. One attempt I didn’t even finish a morning session and missed the last 4 questions.

The first attempt I did 1200 mbe questions with an average of 63% on my prep and scored a 148

Second attempt I did 120 mbe prep questions with an average of 65% and scored 129ish I think

Third attempt I did 400 mbe prep questions with an average of 65% and scored 136ish

Fourth attempt I did 400 mbe prep questions with an average of 67% and scored a 144

5th attempt I did 500 mbe prep questions with an average of 68% and scored a 143

6th attempt I did 3100 mbe prep questions with an average of 73% overall and 85% over the last 800 questions so I’m extremely curious how I did.

My writing style changed simply by doing so many MBes.. did barmax.. and my essays began to look like barmax answer explanations.

Header
Rule of law
Fact
Fact is rule because
Fact is element 2 of rule because
However party would fail to assert fact is not element of rule because
Therefore fact is rule because fact is elements 1,2and 3

Kind of strange how every barmax answer explanation follows that format so let’s hope I don’t have to do this exam again and finishing early is due to getting a feel for the right answer quickly without being confused

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Wild Card

Silver

Post by Wild Card » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:59 am

I finished the hard section 45 minutes early and the easier section 1 hour early. I used the remainder of my time to review questions that I thought were tricky.

Wild Card

Silver

Post by Wild Card » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:02 am

masterherm wrote:That’s a pretty bad sign. Most people I’ve talked to who passed took all their time, and the ones I know who failed finished early and felt confident.
Is Northwestern's fail rate that high?

justanotheruser

Bronze

Post by justanotheruser » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:03 am

masterherm wrote:That’s a pretty bad sign. Most people I’ve talked to who passed took all their time, and the ones I know who failed finished early and felt confident.
FWIW, I passed the Feb '18 CA Bar exam and I finished the MBE about 20-25 minutes early for each session. To be sure, MBE was a big strength heading into the exam (completed 1700 adaptibar questions with ~80% average).

Ohnt

New

Post by Ohnt » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:03 pm

scard wrote:I hope you guys are all right about it.

Seems like there are not a lot of people who came in to say they failed miserably after finishing really early.. quite the opposite looks to be trend.

This was my 6th attempt

All other 5 attempts had me either rushing to finish or with only a few minutes to spare on one of the sessions. One attempt I didn’t even finish a morning session and missed the last 4 questions.

The first attempt I did 1200 mbe questions with an average of 63% on my prep and scored a 148

Second attempt I did 120 mbe prep questions with an average of 65% and scored 129ish I think

Third attempt I did 400 mbe prep questions with an average of 65% and scored 136ish

Fourth attempt I did 400 mbe prep questions with an average of 67% and scored a 144

5th attempt I did 500 mbe prep questions with an average of 68% and scored a 143

6th attempt I did 3100 mbe prep questions with an average of 73% overall and 85% over the last 800 questions so I’m extremely curious how I did.

My writing style changed simply by doing so many MBes.. did barmax.. and my essays began to look like barmax answer explanations.

Header
Rule of law
Fact
Fact is rule because
Fact is element 2 of rule because
However party would fail to assert fact is not element of rule because
Therefore fact is rule because fact is elements 1,2and 3

Kind of strange how every barmax answer explanation follows that format so let’s hope I don’t have to do this exam again and finishing early is due to getting a feel for the right answer quickly without being confused

Wow thanks for sharing. Looks like you did better with more mbe practice questions?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

NoLongerALurker

Bronze

Post by NoLongerALurker » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:15 pm

I finished very early (one of first out of the room), left, had a shower, went to a bar and drank a full beer before my friends caught up to me after using the whole time.

They all scored like a couple of points better than me. We all passed. 10/10 would recommend not sitting there torturing self staring at a scantron for an extra hour.

White Dwarf

Bronze

Post by White Dwarf » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:26 pm

Finished around 30 minutes early on both. I may have rushed a little in the afternoon, but there was no way I was going to sit around for another hour waiting to leave just so my fried brain could reconsider a couple problems that I was 50/50 on.

ndbigdave

Bronze

Post by ndbigdave » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:25 pm

My first exam (Michigan, July 2015) I finished in the morning session by a good 25/30 min or so and then after reviewing a handful of questions was within the 15 min window where I couldn't leave. In the afternoon I finished with about 50 min or so, reviewed a question or two and left with about 45 min to spare. I passed with a 141.

My later tests, which I was definitely more prepared more for were slightly different - I still finished "early" but it was more in the 15/20 min range. I did attempt to go "slower" but most of that came naturally as I learned to read the questions with a bit finer eye. Sadly, my next jurisdiction (Illinois), did not publish the scores for passers, but I felt really confident after doing 1,750 questions and reviewing them.

The end game, from my perspective, is that you can pass and be "fast" and pass and be "slow." The key is to not waste too much time on questions, read with an attention to detail and then be decisive in making a choice - rinse and repeat.

Mobster1983

New

Post by Mobster1983 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:31 am

I finished over an hour early (Afternoon) and scored a 168 on a previous exam.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”