How many MBE questions Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Lawworld19

Bronze

How many MBE questions

Post by Lawworld19 » Tue May 29, 2018 11:35 pm

To do to feel safe to pass?

FinallyPassedTheBar

Bronze

Re: How many MBE questions

Post by FinallyPassedTheBar » Tue May 29, 2018 11:51 pm

Lawworld19 wrote:To do to feel safe to pass?

Personally, 2000+

But people have passed just answering around 400.

justanotheruser

Bronze

Post by justanotheruser » Wed May 30, 2018 12:46 am

I did around 1300 (Emanuel S&T + Adaptibat) for the July '17 exam. I didn't pass, but my MBE score jumped to 1500.

I did around 1800-1900 (same sources as above) for Feb '18 exam. I passed the exam. I can only guess I improved even more this time on the MBE.

But generally? It's way more about the quality of your study/review than the number of questions you do. That said, my routine was doing 30 MBE questions a day, first thing in the morning.

Nightcrawler

Bronze

Post by Nightcrawler » Wed May 30, 2018 10:59 am

As said above, there is not a magic number. Some people pass with just a few hundreds, some fail with over 2,000 (last time I still got a 133 on the MBE after 2,000 questions @ 70% correct). Try to aim to an overall average of at least 75%, keep it fresh (do MBEs every day until the exam), and most importantly review your mistakes and random right guesses.

ScurryRay

New

Post by ScurryRay » Wed May 30, 2018 1:02 pm

I found a survey online from a few years ago in chart form that showed that the median was between 1500-1600 questions. That's the minimum I shot for when I took the bar in February. Seems like anything less than that, you may regret it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ithrowds

Bronze

Post by ithrowds » Wed May 30, 2018 1:55 pm

justanotheruser wrote: But generally? It's way more about the quality of your study/review than the number of questions you do. That said, my routine was doing 30 MBE questions a day, first thing in the morning.
I've heard a lot of people mentioning that they do ~30 MBE questions a day, is that once you've already gone through all the MBE subjects as part of your bar prep? For instance, I started prepping a week ago and have only gone through Contracts & Property, would the move be to do ~30 MBE questions a day of Contracts & Property questions, and add the other subjects in as I complete them or hold off until I've finished all the MBE subjects?

ithrowds

Bronze

Post by ithrowds » Wed May 30, 2018 1:56 pm

ScurryRay wrote:I found a survey online from a few years ago in chart form that showed that the median was between 1500-1600 questions. That's the minimum I shot for when I took the bar in February. Seems like anything less than that, you may regret it.
I know a lot of MBE courses utilize practice MBE questions in their daily assignments. The 1500-1600 questions, do those include those practice questions, or are those usually the questions the people do on their own time? i.e. through adaptibar or what not

jacketyellow

Bronze

Post by jacketyellow » Wed May 30, 2018 3:19 pm

I did around 400. I passed. True story.

justanotheruser

Bronze

Post by justanotheruser » Wed May 30, 2018 4:25 pm

ithrowds wrote:
justanotheruser wrote: But generally? It's way more about the quality of your study/review than the number of questions you do. That said, my routine was doing 30 MBE questions a day, first thing in the morning.
I've heard a lot of people mentioning that they do ~30 MBE questions a day, is that once you've already gone through all the MBE subjects as part of your bar prep? For instance, I started prepping a week ago and have only gone through Contracts & Property, would the move be to do ~30 MBE questions a day of Contracts & Property questions, and add the other subjects in as I complete them or hold off until I've finished all the MBE subjects?
Yeah, that's roughly how I did it.

I went through Emanuel S&T first, which has you study topic by topic first. Then once I moved onto Adaptibar, I did 30 mixed MBEs covering all subjects.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ScurryRay

New

Post by ScurryRay » Wed May 30, 2018 5:49 pm

ithrowds wrote:
ScurryRay wrote:I found a survey online from a few years ago in chart form that showed that the median was between 1500-1600 questions. That's the minimum I shot for when I took the bar in February. Seems like anything less than that, you may regret it.
I know a lot of MBE courses utilize practice MBE questions in their daily assignments. The 1500-1600 questions, do those include those practice questions, or are those usually the questions the people do on their own time? i.e. through adaptibar or what not
I think it is just a total count of questions people completed. When I took the February NY bar, I did all of the Barbri questions and supplemented with Adaptibar and Emmanuel and probably ended up doing 1800. I am taking the VA bar now and am shooting for at least 1600. I am using Themis this time and they seem to give you more MBE questions than Barbri.

I don't know there's a magic answer but to me, somewhere near 1500 seems like a good minimum goal. I think doing over 2,200 as I have seen some people say may be overkill (and take time from essay practice), but everyone is different.

Call2222222

New

Post by Call2222222 » Wed May 30, 2018 9:03 pm

I did 2500 mbe total. The last 750 questions I was scoring at 75% accuracy (This is where you want to be— for California at least).

brorepresentation1

New

Post by brorepresentation1 » Thu May 31, 2018 6:07 am

Most people will say 2,300. However, it's not about how many -- rather, high scores relate to how well you understand the black letter law and your approach. If you have an approach that integrates spotting key words, deductive elimination and a basic understanding of how the bar expects you to think through an MBE question, you're golden.

Tony48

New

Post by Tony48 » Thu May 31, 2018 8:29 am

As many as you can. But remember, reading and understanding the answers to all of those questions just as -- if not more -- important.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Meggoca

New

Post by Meggoca » Thu May 31, 2018 9:11 pm

Agree with the prior poster - it’s not only the number, it’s reading the reasons why for each of the answers. That’s what will really help you spot patterns in the questions for some common types (like joint tenancy that gets split - who gets what. Really easy to answer once you recognize the pattern).

FWIW I did 2200 questions using Themis and passed MA on my first try with 152.6 scaled on my MBE. And I looked up the reasons why on all 2200 of those bad boys.

shaq23

New

Post by shaq23 » Thu May 31, 2018 10:07 pm

I don't think there is a set target you should set for yourself. Do as many as you can in the next two months without sacrificing on the other parts of the exam (i.e. essays). You want to feel comfortable in doing MBE's. So no matter what type of question is thrown at you, you can recognize the topic and know right away how to tackle it. Focus on quality over quantity. I know this is easier said than done, but it will help.

SilvermanBarPrep

Bronze

Post by SilvermanBarPrep » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:58 pm

I often tell students to aim to do 50/day. Split up into 2 separate sessions per day of 25 questions.

Sean (Silverman Bar Exam Tutoring)

kingkonglaw

New

Post by kingkonglaw » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:08 pm

Rule of thumb I have heard bandied about is ~2500 to try to ensure yourself a buffer that you did sufficient practice to not be truly surprised come exam day. I would keep 2200+ as the number to shoot for, but gauge how your practice is going and remain realistic in what you can accomplish during your study time.

Further, to echo all of the great comments above there are some caveats to your practice number:
  • It has to be GOOD practice. You may have heard the Lombardi quote: "Practice does not make perfect. Only perfect practice makes perfect."
  • You need to have the quality with the quantity if you want to have true confidence come exam day.
What I mean by that is to bang out questions under exam-like conditions. Then make sure to follow-up with great recap analysis.

Make sure you:
  • Understand the black letter law
  • Spot the keywords that trigger certain lines of thinking to arrive at the correct answer
  • Read through each answer to each question to make sure you fully understand why you got an answer right or wrong.
With this approach, you should see improvement in your practice sets based upon the knowledge gained from previous question set analysis.

As you learn more of the BLL and as it begins to stick from a combo of the practice and exposure you should begin to see patterns emerge based on MBE question and answer construction. All of this comes together at different rates based upon your BLL knowledge going in and aptitude for these types of questions. This is why some people can get away with doing 400 practice problems and some need ~2500.

The tough part is self-analysis to gauge when you begin to feel comfortable with the process and balance the input of learning BLL with the output of simulated exam practice.

The BIGGEST TRAP to avoid is to remember that the MBE is at most ~50% of the exam! So make sure to not neglect practicing and studying for the essay portion of the exam. When you feel you are hitting your stride with the MBE section, you need to ensure you add in enough exam-day like essay practice to make sure you are comfortable with that part of the bar exam. Often times we neglect the essays by focusing on the larger % portion of the exam only to be burned by not addressing the essay and MPT portions that can sneak up on you.

All in all, run your own race and make sure you stay healthy during this process. It is like sprinting a marathon. Good luck everyone! :)

pfunkera

Bronze

Post by pfunkera » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:43 am

I probably was close to 2000 between adaptibar, Barbri, and NCBE practice tests.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”