The "Ask @JoeSeperac" Thread Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
JoeSeperac

Re: The "Ask @JoeSeperac" Thread

Post by JoeSeperac » Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hey Joe,

Curious what feedback you have here - been reading this post for a long time, feels good to post finally!

Texas Bar Exam - July, 2019
Final Score: 707
(Minimum passing Final Score: 675)
MBE Scaled Score: 140.7

Thanks!
Congratulations on passing the J19 TX bar exam! Based on your scaled MBE score of 140.7, your estimated raw MBE score was about 115/175 correct (based on the last time an MBE scale was released in 2013). This means you answered about 65.7% of the graded MBE questions correctly. This places you in the 45.9% percentile for the MBE. This means that 54.1% of Jul examinees nationwide did better than you on the MBE based on your scaled MBE score of 140.7 (based on national data for the past 7 years).

I attempted to convert your Written and Total Scores to the UBE Scale. I estimate your Total UBE Score would have been 283. Based on a total score of 283, your written score was 142.1, which would have placed you in the 49.2% percentile among examinees nationwide (meaning that 50.8% of examinees nationwide would have scored better than you on the MEE/MPT). This means you would likely pass the exam in most UBE states. Although NCBE does not release percentiles for total UBE scores, based on the MBE and written percentiles, this would place you in the 47.6% percentile among examinees nationwide based on your total score of 283 (meaning that 52.5% of examinees nationwide scored better than you on the UBE). Please keep in mind this is just an estimate and may be incorrect.

FYI, in Texas over the past 24 years, the February ABA First-Timers Pass Rate is 75.4% while the July ABA First-Timers Pass Rate is 83%. The February ABA Repeaters Pass Rate is 49.3% while the July ABA Repeaters Pass Rate is 42.2%. In contrast, nationally over the past 24 years, the February ABA First-Timers Pass Rate is 72.7% while the July ABA First-Timers Pass Rate is 81%. The February ABA Repeaters Pass Rate is 44.7% while the July ABA Repeaters Pass Rate is 31.1%.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:17 pm

Thanks, Joe!

Not sure how I passed then haha. Glad it's over with! Would be nice if they allowed these scores to qualify for the UBE since we're transferring to the UBE in February 2021, but oh well.

Medicine

New

Post by Medicine » Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:10 pm

Dear Joe,
I took Virginia Bar in February 2020, my score is 135. MBE 133 and Essays 135. In July I took NJ UBE and my MBE score was 136. I thought I did better on MBE and I was sure that I will get better score on MBE. Now I am thinking to transfer my July 2019 MBE 136 score to Virginia and take only essays. Can you, please, calculate how many questions I answered correctly on MBE (133), was it curved more because more test takers did well? How much I need to score on written part to get 140 passing score with transferring 136 MBE score. Thank you very much.

JoeSeperac

Post by JoeSeperac » Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:54 am

Medicine wrote:Dear Joe,
I took Virginia Bar in February 2020, my score is 135. MBE 133 and Essays 135. In July I took NJ UBE and my MBE score was 136. I thought I did better on MBE and I was sure that I will get better score on MBE. Now I am thinking to transfer my July 2019 MBE 136 score to Virginia and take only essays. Can you, please, calculate how many questions I answered correctly on MBE (133), was it curved more because more test takers did well? How much I need to score on written part to get 140 passing score with transferring 136 MBE score. Thank you very much.
I'm pretty sure that 136 scaled was 109/175 correct (62%) on the J19 MBE. I am at least one month away from figuring out the F20 MBE scale as I need to collect a lot of scores first to see all the permutations. To anyone who has their MBE score information and would like to help me out, following is the relevant form to fill out:

https://seperac.com/subscoreform.php

If you include your email, I will email you statistics on your scoring once I receive enough scores to figure out the scaling.

Does VA transfer the 136 as a 133 or a 136?

NY-Lawyer

New

Post by NY-Lawyer » Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:12 am

Hi Joe,

I was wondering if you could work your magic on my numbers. I just took and passed the Florida bar exam in February. I had a 156 on Part A, and a 153 on the MBE. I'm not sure what you can do with the Part A portion, but at least for the MBE would be nice! Thanks, Joe!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mburton18

New

Post by mburton18 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:50 pm

Hi Joe,

I was wondering if you could break down my score when you've accumulated the data that you need to do so?

Feb. 2020 MA UBE
MBE: 183.9
MEE/MPT: 161.6
Total: 346

musafir

New

Post by musafir » Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:19 am

Hi Joe,

Hoping you could provide breakdown insight into my score when feasible?

Feb 2020 NY UBE
MBE: 140.9
MPT/MEE: 158.1
Total: 299

Thanks so much!

JoeSeperac

Post by JoeSeperac » Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:34 am

mburton18 wrote:Hi Joe,

I was wondering if you could break down my score when you've accumulated the data that you need to do so?

Feb. 2020 MA UBE
Congratulations. You MBE score is off the charts. Based on your scaled MBE score of 183.9, your estimated raw MBE score was probably 175/175 correct. This places you in the 100% percentile for the MBE. This means that probably almost none of the Feb 2020 examinees nationwide did better than you on the MBE based on your scaled MBE score of 183.9.

Based on a total score of 346, your written score was 161.6, which would have placed you in the 95.5% percentile among examinees nationwide (meaning that 4.5% of examinees nationwide would have scored better than you on the MEE/MPT).

Although NCBE does not release percentiles for total UBE scores, based on the MBE and written percentiles, this would place you in the 97.8% percentile among examinees nationwide based on your total score of 346 (meaning that 2.3% of examinees nationwide scored better than you on the UBE). Please keep in mind this is just an estimate and may be incorrect.

On the MBE, examinees usually score close to their MBE practice scores, especially if they have done a large number of MBE questions in practice. How many questions did you answer in practice, from what sources (e.g. Barbri, Kaplan, Adaptibar, NCBE) and what was your overall % correct? I'm sure many others would be curious to know how you prepared for the MBE.

JoeSeperac

Post by JoeSeperac » Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:48 am

musafir wrote:Hi Joe,

Hoping you could provide breakdown insight into my score when feasible?

Feb 2020 NY UBE
MBE: 140.9
MPT/MEE: 158.1
Total: 299

Thanks so much!
Congratulations on passing the F20 NY bar exam!

Based on your scaled MBE score of 140.9, your estimated raw MBE score was about 124/175 correct (based on the last time an MBE scale was released in 2013). This means you answered about 70.9% of the graded MBE questions correctly. This places you in the 61.3% percentile for the MBE. This means that 38.7% of Feb examinees nationwide did better than you on the MBE based on your scaled MBE score of 140.9 (based on national data for the past 7 years).

Based on a total score of 299, your written score was 158.1, which would have placed you in the 92.5% percentile among examinees nationwide (meaning that 7.5% of examinees nationwide would have scored better than you on the MEE/MPT).

Although NCBE does not release percentiles for total UBE scores, based on the MBE and written percentiles, this would place you in the 76.9% percentile among examinees nationwide based on your total score of 299 (meaning that 23.1% of examinees nationwide scored better than you on the UBE). Please keep in mind this is just an estimate and may be incorrect.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

alexjinye

Bronze

Post by alexjinye » Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:32 pm

Hi Joe,

I did not pass the NY Bar, your premium material was helpful tho.

Feb 2020 NY Bar

MBE Score: 124.7

MEE/MPT: 127.3

Total Score: 252

I thought I did the best in the evidence MBE, but turn out to have only done better than 5.4% of the testing population. Please analyse. I feel a bit devastated.

boopbaboop

New

Post by boopbaboop » Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:26 pm

I will admit to having been directed here by my own curiosity and vanity (and all this talk of diploma privilege due to coronavirus). When you have the time:

July 2018 Massachusetts UBE Bar Exam
Written Scaled Score: 157.8
MBE Scaled Score: 156.4
Total UBE Score: 314

My own amateur estimation is that I'm in like the 80th percentile, but a more detailed breakdown would be interesting!

And, just since I'm here: I used Themis. I cannot remember my exact study scoring breakdown, but I do know that I worked up from about 50% to over 75% consistently over time and that the bar exam seemed relatively easy compared to the testing conditions of Themis. I also fully completed the entire course on schedule.

mburton18

New

Post by mburton18 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:38 pm

I'm a big believer in Adaptibar. I used the Barbri written materials to learn/review the law and did about 1250 questions on Adaptibar (~92% correct overall). I spent 95% percent of my study time on the MBE since I was working full time in BigLaw while studying and had to be efficient with time.
JoeSeperac wrote:

Feb. 2020 MA UBE
Congratulations. You MBE score is off the charts. Based on your scaled MBE score of 183.9, your estimated raw MBE score was probably 175/175 correct. This places you in the 100% percentile for the MBE. This means that probably almost none of the Feb 2020 examinees nationwide did better than you on the MBE based on your scaled MBE score of 183.9.

Based on a total score of 346, your written score was 161.6, which would have placed you in the 95.5% percentile among examinees nationwide (meaning that 4.5% of examinees nationwide would have scored better than you on the MEE/MPT).

Although NCBE does not release percentiles for total UBE scores, based on the MBE and written percentiles, this would place you in the 97.8% percentile among examinees nationwide based on your total score of 346 (meaning that 2.3% of examinees nationwide scored better than you on the UBE). Please keep in mind this is just an estimate and may be incorrect.

On the MBE, examinees usually score close to their MBE practice scores, especially if they have done a large number of MBE questions in practice. How many questions did you answer in practice, from what sources (e.g. Barbri, Kaplan, Adaptibar, NCBE) and what was your overall % correct? I'm sure many others would be curious to know how you prepared for the MBE.

JoeSeperac

Post by JoeSeperac » Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:38 am

alexjinye wrote:Hi Joe,

Feb 2020 NY Bar

I thought I did the best in the evidence MBE, but turn out to have only done better than 5.4% of the testing population. Please analyse. I feel a bit devastated.
I'm sorry to hear that you failed the exam. The F20 pass rates were lower than average. Based on your scaled MBE score of 124.7, your estimated raw MBE score was about 101/175 correct (based on the last time an MBE scale was released in 2013). This means you answered about 57.7% of the graded MBE questions correctly. This places you in the 22.1% percentile for the MBE. This means that 77.9% of Feb examinees nationwide did better than you on the MBE based on your scaled MBE score of 124.7 (based on national data for the past 7 years).

Based on a total score of 252, your written score was 127.3, which would have placed you in the 27.5% percentile among examinees nationwide (meaning that 72.5% of examinees nationwide would have scored better than you on the MEE/MPT).

Although NCBE does not release percentiles for total UBE scores, based on the MBE and written percentiles, this would place you in the 24.8% percentile among examinees nationwide based on your total score of 252 (meaning that 75.2% of examinees nationwide scored better than you on the UBE). Please keep in mind this is just an estimate and may be incorrect.

If you fill out my form of commonly asked questions, I can also provide you with a free 15 page confidential analysis of your scoring along with my advice:

http://seperac.com/scoreform.php

Please note you won’t receive the score report for 1-2 weeks as I still am collecting scores to figure out the scale.

If you order your written answers, I can provide you with a free 40+-page MEE/MPT Analysis. Please note the MEE/MPT Analysis report wouldn't be completed until mid-June due to its complexity.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JoeSeperac

Post by JoeSeperac » Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:44 am

boopbaboop wrote:I will admit to having been directed here by my own curiosity and vanity (and all this talk of diploma privilege due to coronavirus). When you have the time:

July 2018 Massachusetts UBE Bar Exam
Written Scaled Score: 157.8
MBE Scaled Score: 156.4
Total UBE Score: 314

My own amateur estimation is that I'm in like the 80th percentile, but a more detailed breakdown would be interesting!

And, just since I'm here: I used Themis. I cannot remember my exact study scoring breakdown, but I do know that I worked up from about 50% to over 75% consistently over time and that the bar exam seemed relatively easy compared to the testing conditions of Themis. I also fully completed the entire course on schedule.
Initially, I incorrectly assumed you took the exam in F20. For a February exam, based on the MBE and written percentiles, this would place you in the 91.4% percentile among examinees nationwide based on your total score of 314.

For a July exam, based on the MBE and written percentiles, this would place you in the 81.8% percentile among examinees nationwide based on your total score of 314 (meaning that 18.3% of examinees nationwide scored better than you on the UBE).

Based on your scaled MBE score of 156.4, your estimated raw MBE score was about 137/175 correct (based on the last time an MBE scale was released in 2013). This means you answered about 78.3% of the graded MBE questions correctly. This places you in the 80.6% percentile for the MBE. This means that 19.4% of Jul examinees nationwide did better than you on the MBE based on your scaled MBE score of 156.4 (based on national data for the past 7 years).

Based on a total score of 314, your written score was 157.8, which would have placed you in the 82.9% percentile among examinees nationwide (meaning that 17.1% of examinees nationwide would have scored better than you on the MEE/MPT).

JoeSeperac

Post by JoeSeperac » Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:10 am

mburton18 wrote:I'm a big believer in Adaptibar. I used the Barbri written materials to learn/review the law and did about 1250 questions on Adaptibar (~92% correct overall). I spent 95% percent of my study time on the MBE since I was working full time in BigLaw while studying and had to be efficient with time.
JoeSeperac wrote:

Feb. 2020 MA UBE

Thanks for the follow-up. To score 90%+ correct overall on the released NCBE questions almost ensures a great MBE score. Did you do any Barbri questions? If so, what was your % correct on the Barbri questions? For example, how did you do on the 200 question mid-term exam?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:31 pm

Hi does the written score report come separately with the letter stating pass/fail? As in did you get two emails? One stating that results have been uploaded and another stating that an updated written score has been uploaded.
alexjinye wrote:Hi Joe,

Feb 2020 NY Bar

JoeSeperac

Post by JoeSeperac » Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:14 pm

From what I understand, the first score report did not contain the Written Score, but a follow-up report was sent that contains it.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jaya_79@hotmail.com

New

Post by jaya_79@hotmail.com » Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:29 am

Hi Joe,

Could you please work your magic with my numbers for Feb 2020 New York - Total score 332, MBE 155.6. I am a foreign trained lawyer.

Thanks!

JoeSeperac

Post by JoeSeperac » Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:09 pm

jaya_79@hotmail.com wrote:Hi Joe,

Could you please work your magic with my numbers for Feb 2020 New York - Total score 332, MBE 155.6. I am a foreign trained lawyer.

Thanks!
Congratulations on passing! Based on your scaled MBE score of 155.6, your estimated raw MBE score was about 145/175 correct (based on the last time an MBE scale was released in 2013). This means you answered about 82.9% of the graded MBE questions correctly. This places you in the 89.8% percentile for the MBE. This means that 10.2% of Feb examinees nationwide did better than you on the MBE based on your scaled MBE score of 155.6 (based on national data for the past 7 years).

Based on a total score of 332, your written score was 176.4, which would have placed you in the 99.8% percentile among examinees nationwide (meaning that 0.2% of examinees nationwide would have scored better than you on the MEE/MPT).

Although NCBE does not release percentiles for total UBE scores, based on the MBE and written percentiles, this would place you in the 94.8% percentile among examinees nationwide based on your total score of 332 (meaning that 5.2% of examinees nationwide scored better than you on the UBE). Please keep in mind this is just an estimate and may be incorrect.

I'm very impressed by your written score as this is atypical of foreign examinees. How much of your overall study time did you devote to the MEE/MPT and what did you find most helpful in those studies?

jaya_79@hotmail.com

New

Post by jaya_79@hotmail.com » Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:17 pm

Hi Joe,

Thanks! I spent more time on the MBE than MEE, however once I had reached a score of 70% on the MBE I switched focus to the MEE. For the MEE I wrote out 75 essays and outlined/ read 30 essays from the Barbri essay book. I would extract rule statement and familiarise myself with common rule statements. I also used Studicata attack outlines for the MEE to review rule statements for frequently tested topics. For the MPT I only started preparing mid-week January. I wrote out 5 MPTs and outlined 2 more, focusing on getting my timing down mostly. I am a practising lawyer and English is my first language, probably helped boost my score.

mjpwhite

New

Post by mjpwhite » Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:02 am

Feb. 2020 MA UBE
Can you please post exactly what you did to study for the MBE please?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Bronxjd

New

Post by Bronxjd » Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:27 am

Hi Joe, I would appreciate an analysis as well.

F2020 NY
MBE: 160.4
UBE: 311

Thanks!

suaverikky

New

Post by suaverikky » Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:59 pm

Hi Joe, Could you please tell me what my raw scores were in my Feb 2020 MBE?

I had a 145 in the February 2020 MBE Exam.

I passed the February Indiana bar Exam (Indiana doesn't tell you what your overall score is if you pass)

Jurisdiction: Indiana (Non-UBE) jurisdiction.

I am curious as to what my raw MBE score was.

If this helps, Indiana sent a NCBE MBE report and the report said my 145 score is in the 78.2 percentile.

JoeSeperac

Post by JoeSeperac » Fri May 01, 2020 10:50 am

Bronxjd wrote:Hi Joe, I would appreciate an analysis as well.

F2020 NY
MBE: 160.4
UBE: 311

Thanks!
Congrats Bronxjd! Based on your scaled MBE score of 160.4, your estimated raw MBE score was about 152/175 correct (based on the last time an MBE scale was released in 2013). This means you answered about 86.9% of the graded MBE questions correctly. This places you in the 94.8% percentile for the MBE. This means that 5.2% of Feb examinees nationwide did better than you on the MBE based on your scaled MBE score of 160.4 (based on national data for the past 7 years).

Based on a total score of 311, your written score was 150.6, which would have placed you in the 82.7% percentile among examinees nationwide (meaning that 17.3% of examinees nationwide would have scored better than you on the MEE/MPT).

Although NCBE does not release percentiles for total UBE scores, based on the MBE and written percentiles, this would place you in the 88.8% percentile among examinees nationwide based on your total score of 311 (meaning that 11.3% of examinees nationwide scored better than you on the UBE). Please keep in mind this is just an estimate and may be incorrect.

On the MBE, examinees usually score close to their MBE practice scores, especially if they have done a large number of MBE questions in practice. How many questions did you answer in practice, from what sources (e.g. Barbri, Kaplan, Adaptibar, NCBE) and what was your overall % correct?

JoeSeperac

Post by JoeSeperac » Fri May 01, 2020 10:53 am

suaverikky wrote:Hi Joe, Could you please tell me what my raw scores were in my Feb 2020 MBE?

I had a 145 in the February 2020 MBE Exam.

I passed the February Indiana bar Exam (Indiana doesn't tell you what your overall score is if you pass)

Jurisdiction: Indiana (Non-UBE) jurisdiction.

I am curious as to what my raw MBE score was.

If this helps, Indiana sent a NCBE MBE report and the report said my 145 score is in the 78.2 percentile.
Based on your scaled MBE score of 145, your estimated raw MBE score was about 130/175 correct (based on the last time an MBE scale was released in 2013). This means you answered about 74.3% of the graded MBE questions correctly. This places you in the 71.5% percentile for the MBE. This means that 28.5% of Feb examinees nationwide did better than you on the MBE based on your scaled MBE score of 145 (based on national data for the past 7 years).

For F20, Indiana had the lowest pass rate in it's history, so great job. Were you a first-time taker or repeater? What materials did you use for the MBE?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”