FY associate, taking VA bar in July Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
caynthomson2018

New

FY associate, taking VA bar in July

Post by caynthomson2018 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:48 am

I'm seeking any tips you have for taking the VA bar in July while working full time. I passed another bar last July but am transferring.

Themis? Kaplan? cheap alternatives?
Starting to study in April? I have up to three weeks PTO which I know is standard.
Good tricks?
Anything VA specific that I should know, besides that the essays test on everything?

Bla Bla Bla Blah

Bronze

Re: FY associate, taking VA bar in July

Post by Bla Bla Bla Blah » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:07 am

Wish I could remember all the VA specifics... just did a similar transition, but to CA. Since I was working, here's what streamlined study for me and (I think) was way more effective:

Critical Pass cards and Leansheets for CA Law: Was awesome to have everything put together already by a company. I knew the material was accurate, and spent time memorizing instead of creating the outline itself.

Kaplan MP3 Lectures: Luckily, I got ahold of a copy of these. Brainwashed myself by playing them at all times when I wasn't able to active study (think driving, prior to bed (and subconsciously while I was asleep, if we're being honest), and in the morning when I was getting ready).

Adaptibar: I liked this much better than the MBE prep that I used prior to the CA Bar. Lots of analytics, one which told me my sweet spot in answering time... which made it a lot easier to move on when I knew I was past that time period (because I was likely to get it wrong at that point anyway). They have a free trial if you're like me and want to test run it before committing... and anyone who has used Adaptibar can give you a discount code if you choose to go that route ($30 off I believe).

Essay Writing for CA Bar: very helpful to see, and be able to practice, the delivery that CA examiners preferred. Left no doubts as to my approach, and beat the CA subjects into my sad excuse for a brain :)

Good luck!

Lili8

New

Re: FY associate, taking VA bar in July

Post by Lili8 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:30 pm

bumping for more replies

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”