MEE Study Resources Recommendations Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
PAGuyana

New

MEE Study Resources Recommendations

Post by PAGuyana » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:23 pm

What are the best resources (outside of taking a full bar review course) available to study for the MEE exclusively?

Thanks in advance.

ndbigdave

Bronze

Re: MEE Study Resources Recommendations

Post by ndbigdave » Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:32 pm

PAGuyana wrote:What are the best resources (outside of taking a full bar review course) available to study for the MEE exclusively?

Thanks in advance.
Ill endorse the SmartBar Prep outlines (both long comprehensive + focused mini outlines) SmartBar has gone back through EVERY MEE to analyze the subjects and subtopics/rules that have ever been tested so you can use their research to know the highly testable topics to those that have never been tested.

I liked their layout, depth and pricing (what you get with SmartBar is FAR more than other companies selling "condensed outlines.") I think it is worth noting that I am not a sales rep and have no connection to the company in the slightest other than being an impressed customer who wants to direct people to good tools for a reasonable price.

https://www.smartbarprep.com/outline/

PAGuyana

New

Post by PAGuyana » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:22 pm

Thank you. Anyone else?

Btw do you have a code for smartbar?

myrtlewinston

Bronze

Post by myrtlewinston » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:53 pm

Get the SmartBarPrep flashcards too.

ndbigdave

Bronze

Post by ndbigdave » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:13 pm

myrtlewinston wrote:Get the SmartBarPrep flashcards too.
Agreed.

They were doing some sort of promotion when I bought my tools where you got the long, condensed and outlines for like $160.

Doing SmartBar + Adaptibar is a pretty comprehensive program for about $500, when you can supplement with Adaptibar lectures, the S&T book and other tools and still come in for 1/2 (or less) the price of a traditional bar program you will be both prepared and not broke.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ndbigdave

Bronze

Post by ndbigdave » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:14 pm

PAGuyana wrote:Thank you. Anyone else?

Btw do you have a code for smartbar?

I dont believe there is any referal code for SmartBar - this was just an honest to goodness endorsement from someone who has used the tools and wants to spread good cheer for worthwhile tools while trying to save people money at the same time.

teaearlgreyhot

New

Post by teaearlgreyhot » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:16 pm

PAGuyana wrote:What are the best resources (outside of taking a full bar review course) available to study for the MEE exclusively?

Thanks in advance.
I recommend studying directly from past MEE essays and answers. You start to see patterns, such as statements of law that always appear regardless of how the fact patterns might change, and how these statements of law are typically phrased. I made a spreadsheet that showed which topics were covered for each subject each year, and then had a master outline for each subject that included a summary of the facts posed in an essay, and what was stated in the model answer. As a retaker, having the information presented to me in this way was extremely helpful because it showed me that ALL of this information can easily be distilled into a few salient statements about the law.

FWIW I passed with a 136 on the MEE portion of the July 2017 UBE by just studying the essays and model answers. (And doing tons of MBE questions, of course).

SilvermanBarPrep

Bronze

Post by SilvermanBarPrep » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:58 pm

Go directly to the source. Once you've studied a subject go through the old MEE exams that are available on the NCBE website and read through the old exams to see how the information you've just learned has been tested throughout the years. This will give you a really good indication as to how to apply all this law you've been learning, and by going through enough of the old exams, there is a good chance that on your exam you'll see similar or identical issues tested.

Sean (Silverman Bar Exam Tutoring)

myrtlewinston

Bronze

Post by myrtlewinston » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:23 pm

SilvermanBarPrep wrote:Go directly to the source. Once you've studied a subject go through the old MEE exams that are available on the NCBE website and read through the old exams to see how the information you've just learned has been tested throughout the years. This will give you a really good indication as to how to apply all this law you've been learning, and by going through enough of the old exams, there is a good chance that on your exam you'll see similar or identical issues tested.

I did that, but in reverse order, for the MEE-specific subjects. It was less boring than studying the BLL in abstract plus it helped me narrow down the universel of rules.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

SilvermanBarPrep

Bronze

Post by SilvermanBarPrep » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:04 pm

myrtlewinston wrote:
SilvermanBarPrep wrote:Go directly to the source. Once you've studied a subject go through the old MEE exams that are available on the NCBE website and read through the old exams to see how the information you've just learned has been tested throughout the years. This will give you a really good indication as to how to apply all this law you've been learning, and by going through enough of the old exams, there is a good chance that on your exam you'll see similar or identical issues tested.

I did that, but in reverse order, for the MEE-specific subjects. It was less boring than studying the BLL in abstract plus it helped me narrow down the universel of rules.
I like that reverse order quite a lot. I'm guessing the outlines seemed much more relevant having already seen the issues tested in the essays.

myrtlewinston

Bronze

Post by myrtlewinston » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:13 pm

SilvermanBarPrep wrote:
myrtlewinston wrote:

I like that reverse order quite a lot. I'm guessing the outlines seemed much more relevant having already seen the issues tested in the essays.
At least I know not to study Sarbannes-Oxley in detail.

MRSP

New

Post by MRSP » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:10 am

teaearlgreyhot wrote:

Thanks in advance.
I recommend studying directly from past MEE essays and answers. You start to see patterns, such as statements of law that always appear regardless of how the fact patterns might change, and how these statements of law are typically phrased. I made a spreadsheet that showed which topics were covered for each subject each year, and then had a master outline for each subject that included a summary of the facts posed in an essay, and what was stated in the model answer. As a retaker, having the information presented to me in this way was extremely helpful because it showed me that ALL of this information can easily be distilled into a few salient statements about the law.

FWIW I passed with a 136 on the MEE portion of the July 2017 UBE by just studying the essays and model answers. (And doing tons of MBE questions, of course).

About how many practice essays did you do of each subject, and how long of a period of time? Thanks!

teaearlgreyhot

New

Post by teaearlgreyhot » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:18 pm

MRSP wrote:
teaearlgreyhot wrote:

Thanks in advance.

About how many practice essays did you do of each subject, and how long of a period of time? Thanks!
I started studying in April for the July exam, but I was also working full time, so it's not like I was studying all day, every day for 16 weeks.

For the MBE subjects I did a lot, 7-10 essays per subject. I focused on Crim, Evidence and Civ Pro the most because those were the topics I struggled with previously, and I thought they would likely be tested on my exam. I only did 3-5 essays for the other subjects (T&E, Sec Trans, Family Law, etc.).

First, I would do the essay timed, and then I would go back and compare my answer with the model answer and make notes of what I missed, or how I could have phrased things better. This is when I started to notice patterns and phrases, which I just regurgitated on the exam.

I definitely felt a time crunch towards the end, and was outlining a lot of essays rather than doing them fully, however, I made sure to always write out something and compare it to the model answer. I also had a giant word doc with all of my essays on it that I printed out so I could review sections during my commute.

If you look at the essays, you realize that the universe of topics you are supposed to study and know is actually much narrower than those giant books and hundreds of hours of lectures would lead you to believe. There were definitely things I missed on the exam, and I only felt confident about half of the essays, but I know I had written succinct statements of law for every question and applied them to the facts, and thankfully for me, that was enough.

I hope that was helpful!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”