NY Third Department Admissions

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
KPocius

New
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:10 pm

Re: NY Third Department Admissions

Post by KPocius » Fri May 15, 2020 10:19 am

Hi All,

Is this the link for the online ceremony?

http://wowza.nycourts.gov/ad3/ad3.php

I am freaking out a bit that something will go wrong and I will miss it.

User avatar
uclapookie09

New
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:54 am

Re: NY Third Department Admissions

Post by uclapookie09 » Fri May 15, 2020 11:27 am

KPocius wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 10:19 am
Hi All,

Is this the link for the online ceremony?

http://wowza.nycourts.gov/ad3/ad3.php

I am freaking out a bit that something will go wrong and I will miss it.
That's it! Take a deep breath - almost there!

justkiddingunless

New
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:04 pm

Re: NY Third Department Admissions

Post by justkiddingunless » Fri May 15, 2020 2:18 pm

uclapookie09 wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 11:27 am
KPocius wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 10:19 am
Hi All,

Is this the link for the online ceremony?

http://wowza.nycourts.gov/ad3/ad3.php

I am freaking out a bit that something will go wrong and I will miss it.
That's it! Take a deep breath - almost there!
Congrats!

PCHina

New
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri May 01, 2020 7:35 am

Re: NY Third Department Admissions

Post by PCHina » Sat May 16, 2020 6:54 am

Hi all,

Congrats to those who got sworn in yesterday ! :)

I received an email saying I might be invited to the June ceremony a few days ago and I wanted to see if, in your opinion, I can count on that date ? Do you know of any case for the May ceremony where someone received that email but was eventually not invited ?

Thanks !

User avatar
uclapookie09

New
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:54 am

Re: NY Third Department Admissions

Post by uclapookie09 » Sat May 16, 2020 8:49 am

PCHina wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 6:54 am
Hi all,

Congrats to those who got sworn in yesterday ! :)

I received an email saying I might be invited to the June ceremony a few days ago and I wanted to see if, in your opinion, I can count on that date ? Do you know of any case for the May ceremony where someone received that email but was eventually not invited ?

Thanks !
Yes, I would. Although the emails make it seem like they want to keep us on our toes. :D

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!


justkiddingunless

New
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:04 pm

Re: NY Third Department Admissions

Post by justkiddingunless » Sat May 16, 2020 10:22 am

PCHina wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 6:54 am
Hi all,

Congrats to those who got sworn in yesterday ! :)

I received an email saying I might be invited to the June ceremony a few days ago and I wanted to see if, in your opinion, I can count on that date ? Do you know of any case for the May ceremony where someone received that email but was eventually not invited ?

Thanks !

Congrats! When did you apply?

PCHina

New
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri May 01, 2020 7:35 am

Re: NY Third Department Admissions

Post by PCHina » Mon May 18, 2020 5:31 am

Apologies for the weak formatting, I'm still learning how everything works here !

@Uclapookie (hi Bruin!) thanks ! They do definitely like to keep us on the edge of our seats... :lol:

@justkiddingunless : I applied in late 2019, my application was complete mid-february. I emailed them a few weeks ago explaining that my registration was getting a little urgent because I just found a job that requires me to get sworn and asked if there was any chance that I could participate in the May ceremony. They very quickly answered and said it was full and that they could not yet give me any more information. A few days later I received the June ceremony email !

justkiddingunless

New
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:04 pm

Re: NY Third Department Admissions

Post by justkiddingunless » Mon May 18, 2020 6:35 pm

PCHina wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 5:31 am
Apologies for the weak formatting, I'm still learning how everything works here !

@Uclapookie (hi Bruin!) thanks ! They do definitely like to keep us on the edge of our seats... :lol:

@justkiddingunless : I applied in late 2019, my application was complete mid-february. I emailed them a few weeks ago explaining that my registration was getting a little urgent because I just found a job that requires me to get sworn and asked if there was any chance that I could participate in the May ceremony. They very quickly answered and said it was full and that they could not yet give me any more information. A few days later I received the June ceremony email !
Thanks for the response! Holding out hope I get into the June ceremony....planning on moving to NY in August 🤷‍♂️ might have to email them it's urgent

TO2NYlaw

New
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:31 am

Re: NY Third Department Admissions

Post by TO2NYlaw » Thu May 21, 2020 3:33 pm

I’m wondering if/when to check in regarding my application for admission. I submitted a fairly straight forward application (in the sense that I answered no to any yes or no answer that entailed an explanation and am a lawyer in good standing in another jurisdiction) in mid-April. I didn’t know about the completion email you receive until I came across this thread and am not familiar with what kind of timing was the norm pre-covid. I’m wondering when would be a reasonable time to follow-up just to make sure there are no issues. I was thinking late June?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?


justkiddingunless

New
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:04 pm

Re: NY Third Department Admissions

Post by justkiddingunless » Thu May 21, 2020 4:34 pm

TO2NYlaw wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 3:33 pm
I’m wondering if/when to check in regarding my application for admission. I submitted a fairly straight forward application (in the sense that I answered no to any yes or no answer that entailed an explanation and am a lawyer in good standing in another jurisdiction) in mid-April. I didn’t know about the completion email you receive until I came across this thread and am not familiar with what kind of timing was the norm pre-covid. I’m wondering when would be a reasonable time to follow-up just to make sure there are no issues. I was thinking late June?
I submitted my complete app on about March 9th, I've emailed twice about the status (once in April and once in May). It's starting to get urgent since I'm moving soon but they have not responded yet. Hope this helps!

User avatar
uclapookie09

New
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:54 am

Re: NY Third Department Admissions

Post by uclapookie09 » Thu May 21, 2020 8:45 pm

TO2NYlaw wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 3:33 pm
I’m wondering if/when to check in regarding my application for admission. I submitted a fairly straight forward application (in the sense that I answered no to any yes or no answer that entailed an explanation and am a lawyer in good standing in another jurisdiction) in mid-April. I didn’t know about the completion email you receive until I came across this thread and am not familiar with what kind of timing was the norm pre-covid. I’m wondering when would be a reasonable time to follow-up just to make sure there are no issues. I was thinking late June?
You may not hear for awhile. They will acknowledge your app when it’s complete. I submitted in early Feb and was just admitted last week. But my app was considered complete before COVID hit. Also, I have been practicing for 8 years in CA prior to applying and my app was still quite extensive and took a lot of time to get everything together. And they needed information even after I submitted. I believe they acknowledged it was complete in early March after I bugged them with several phone calls. They kept telling me they were still processing apps from December and it would be awhile, but after several calls they told me to write to them and say I had an urgent need to be admitted and once I did they expedited my application. Although I did have an urgent need as I had just moved to NY for a job and needed my license!

Anonymous User
Posts: 353453
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NY Third Department Admissions

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 22, 2020 10:30 am

Greetings.

Re: May 15th Oath ceremony.

They asked to send us affidavit that we attended the ceremony. I sent it by express USPS same day. I did not receive any acknowledgment of oath form from AD3.

Have you received an Acknowledgement and updated Admitted information on NYS Attorney directory?

Anonymous User
Posts: 353453
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NY Third Department Admissions

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 23, 2020 12:58 pm

I received an email on Thursday with the subject "WELCOME TO THE NEW YORK STATE BAR". You should receive one too once they processed your affidavit. It also has some attachments regarding CLE Credits and whatnot, and says that we will receive our certs of good standing in the mail shortly. One thing I included with my Affidavit was a copy of my registration receipt, since the affidavit had no place for full name or anything, just signatures which seemed like it could get messy.
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 10:30 am
Greetings.

Re: May 15th Oath ceremony.

They asked to send us affidavit that we attended the ceremony. I sent it by express USPS same day. I did not receive any acknowledgment of oath form from AD3.

Have you received an Acknowledgement and updated Admitted information on NYS Attorney directory?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!


cls1650

New
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:37 pm

Re: NY Third Department Admissions

Post by cls1650 » Sat May 23, 2020 2:43 pm

Does anyone know if the third dept is increasing the number of oath ceremonies? The usual dates are Jan 23, May 15, June 25, Sept 17, and Oct 15. Has anyone been invited to a date other than one I listed? Thanks.

anavlopez

New
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon May 25, 2020 3:35 pm

Re: NY Third Department Admissions

Post by anavlopez » Mon May 25, 2020 3:40 pm

Has anyone completed their application in April and received a response yet?

I technically submitted my application in November, but I was just certified in April.

About how long does it take to do character and fitness?

Anonymous User
Posts: 353453
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NY Third Department Admissions

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 26, 2020 9:37 am

Once they receive certification, it took exactly 3 months to get a reply from AD3 to schedule interview/oath process.

justkiddingunless

New
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:04 pm

Re: NY Third Department Admissions

Post by justkiddingunless » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:42 am

Happy to have received an e-mail that my app is complete a week or so ago!

How long after did people get an invite to the ceremony? I'm holding out hope for the June swearing-in.

Thx!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...


Anonymous User
Posts: 353453
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NY Third Department Admissions

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:02 pm

justkiddingunless wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:42 am
Happy to have received an e-mail that my app is complete a week or so ago!

How long after did people get an invite to the ceremony? I'm holding out hope for the June swearing-in.

Thx!
Sorry I don’t have an answer to your question, but just curious to know when you submitted your application? I submitted mine the end of February and haven’t heard back yet! Thanks!

justkiddingunless

New
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:04 pm

Re: NY Third Department Admissions

Post by justkiddingunless » Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:02 pm
justkiddingunless wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:42 am
Happy to have received an e-mail that my app is complete a week or so ago!

How long after did people get an invite to the ceremony? I'm holding out hope for the June swearing-in.

Thx!
Sorry I don’t have an answer to your question, but just curious to know when you submitted your application? I submitted mine the end of February and haven’t heard back yet! Thanks!

First week in March I submitted my Application. I also emailed them a few times as I'm moving to NY very soon and need the license for employment.

danieleonunes

New
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:38 am

Re: NY Third Department Admissions

Post by danieleonunes » Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:57 pm

Received the complete application e-mail, which also said the application would be sent to a member of the C&F committee, who would analyze if an interview is needed. Anyone here received their complete application e-mail in the last couple of months too? Were you assigned for an interview? I'm just curious about how many steps I still have ahead...

adinabut

New
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:27 pm

Re: NY Third Department Admissions

Post by adinabut » Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:26 pm

Hi! When did you send your application out?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!


Anonymous User
Posts: 353453
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NY Third Department Admissions

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:19 pm

I have received the e-mail that my application is complete in early May. The e-mail didn’t include that “the application would be sent to a member of CF committee (...)”, but it was more then a month ago so the template probably changed.
I am still waiting for the information about the interview and/or the oath.

Anonymous User
Posts: 353453
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NY Third Department Admissions

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:53 pm

To share a datapoint, my application was mailed in late Feb, was deemed complete in mid May and I received an email today saying that my application will be forward to CF committee and the earliest date for virtual admission is 07/23/2020.

Anonymous User
Posts: 353453
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NY Third Department Admissions

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:58 am

Hi,

Do you remember the exact dates you mailed the application and when you received their emails? I sent my application on May 11th to the 3rd Department and they sent me an email on May 14th stating they received it, so just curious when I can expect to hear from them confirming my application is complete (sounds like it was about 6 weeks for you).

Also, did it seem like 7/23/20 was the next available virtual ceremony? I can only see the 5/15 and 6/25 dates on their website,

Thank you!

Anonymous User
Posts: 353453
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NY Third Department Admissions

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:58 am
Hi,

Do you remember the exact dates you mailed the application and when you received their emails? I sent my application on May 11th to the 3rd Department and they sent me an email on May 14th stating they received it, so just curious when I can expect to hear from them confirming my application is complete (sounds like it was about 6 weeks for you).

Also, did it seem like 7/23/20 was the next available virtual ceremony? I can only see the 5/15 and 6/25 dates on their website,

Thank you!
http://www.nycourts.gov/ad3/2020_Schedule_of_Terms.jpg

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!


Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”