NY Third Department Admissions

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
mrimmer924

New
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:10 am

Re: NY Third Department Admissions

Post by mrimmer924 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:56 am

With the April swearing in cancelled, has anyone heard anything about remote swearing in options? I have already undergone the interview process and was due for the swear in ceremony on April 8. Other jurisdictions allow you to mail in your oath, I would think NY could have the court adopt this practice for the time being. Rather than hold up so many people from being sworn in. Maybe we can all make requests for remote options via email?

teacup4lyf

New
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:36 pm

Re: NY Third Department Admissions

Post by teacup4lyf » Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:18 pm

I've just heard back that the next interview / swearing in dates are going to be held in late June, mid September and mid October.

Anonymous User
Posts: 348885
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NY Third Department Admissions

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:48 am

1. When did you pass the bar exam?
N/A (waiving in)

2. When did you submit your application?
AD3 received my application on January 13, 2020.

3. Did you have to amend or supplement your application?
Yes, on March 26, 2020 AD3 sent me an email to supplement my application with a certificate of admission and good standing from the highest court of my state. I made arrangements to do so the same day.

4. When did the bar set your interview date?
AD3 sent me an email on April 1, 2020 to set my interview date.

5. When will the interview/swearing in ceremony be?
Interview: June 24, 2020 9:00 AM
Swearing in: June 25, 2020 12:00 PM

Does anyone know if I will really have to interview on June 24 and then stay another day for the ceremony?

QContinuum

Moderator
Posts: 3594
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:52 am

Re: NY Third Department Admissions

Post by QContinuum » Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know if I will really have to interview on June 24 and then stay another day for the ceremony?
If you're scheduled for the interview on the 24th and the swearing-in on the 25th, then yes, unfortunately, you will need to be physically present in Albany both days. Assuming you'll be coming from out of state, you will need to find lodging for two nights (the 23rd and the 24th). NY requires in-person attendance at the C&F interview, and in-person attendance in court for the swearing in - I'm not aware of an option to be sworn in "remotely".

In order to accommodate out-of-towners (the (vast) majority of those admitted in the 3rd Dept.), for exam applicants, AD3 typically conducts interviews in the morning and ceremonies the same afternoon. But, this is apparently not the case for motion applicants.

valley splitter

Bronze
Posts: 139
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:08 pm

Re: NY Third Department Admissions

Post by valley splitter » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:54 pm

Appellate Division Statement Regarding Attorney Admissions:

http://www.courts.state.ny.us/courts/ad ... 401_RA.pdf

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!


Anonymous User
Posts: 348885
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NY Third Department Admissions

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:20 am

valley splitter wrote:Appellate Division Statement Regarding Attorney Admissions:

http://www.courts.state.ny.us/courts/ad ... 401_RA.pdf
Thanks for posting this. I'm wondering if the cancelation of the exam plus the possibility of virtual swearing in will speed up the process for those applying on motion? Wishful thinking probably :?

mrimmer924

New
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:10 am

Re: NY Third Department Admissions

Post by mrimmer924 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:32 pm

QContinuum wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know if I will really have to interview on June 24 and then stay another day for the ceremony?
If you're scheduled for the interview on the 24th and the swearing-in on the 25th, then yes, unfortunately, you will need to be physically present in Albany both days. Assuming you'll be coming from out of state, you will need to find lodging for two nights (the 23rd and the 24th). NY requires in-person attendance at the C&F interview, and in-person attendance in court for the swearing in - I'm not aware of an option to be sworn in "remotely".

In order to accommodate out-of-towners (the (vast) majority of those admitted in the 3rd Dept.), for exam applicants, AD3 typically conducts interviews in the morning and ceremonies the same afternoon. But, this is apparently not the case for motion applicants.
I don't think you can say with any certainty that the June ceremony will be held, nor will the in-person requirement stand. NY, along with every other court in the country is moving toward remote as the status quo. I received a letter stating that the court is exploring a number of alternative options regarding the 4/8 swearing in ceremony and that they will send word "in due course" with how to reschedule.

Also, this article from Law360 sums up what is currently happening, at least to the extent that the public knows: https://www.law360.com/articles/1259188 ... ms-on-hold

QContinuum

Moderator
Posts: 3594
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:52 am

Re: NY Third Department Admissions

Post by QContinuum » Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:01 pm

mrimmer924 wrote:
QContinuum wrote:If you're scheduled for the interview on the 24th and the swearing-in on the 25th, then yes, unfortunately, you will need to be physically present in Albany both days. Assuming you'll be coming from out of state, you will need to find lodging for two nights (the 23rd and the 24th). NY requires in-person attendance at the C&F interview, and in-person attendance in court for the swearing in - I'm not aware of an option to be sworn in "remotely".

In order to accommodate out-of-towners (the (vast) majority of those admitted in the 3rd Dept.), for exam applicants, AD3 typically conducts interviews in the morning and ceremonies the same afternoon. But, this is apparently not the case for motion applicants.
I don't think you can say with any certainty that the June ceremony will be held, nor will the in-person requirement stand. NY, along with every other court in the country is moving toward remote as the status quo. I received a letter stating that the court is exploring a number of alternative options regarding the 4/8 swearing in ceremony and that they will send word "in due course" with how to reschedule.

Also, this article from Law360 sums up what is currently happening, at least to the extent that the public knows: https://www.law360.com/articles/1259188 ... ms-on-hold
Oh, sure, I'm not psychic and obviously can't say with certainty whether the June dates will be rescheduled. i also can't predict what accommodations might be made for remote C&F interviews and/or remote swearings-in. My previous post was only to say that, under current NY rules, you must be present in person at both the C&F interview and the swearing-in. Which is what the anon was asking.

Anonymous User
Posts: 348885
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NY Third Department Admissions

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:39 am

valley splitter wrote:Appellate Division Statement Regarding Attorney Admissions:

http://www.courts.state.ny.us/courts/ad ... 401_RA.pdf
That paragraph about using technology to figure out the admissions process is basically a word salad. It really should not be difficult to organize the interviews and oaths remotely.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?


justkiddingunless

New
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:04 pm

Re: NY Third Department Admissions

Post by justkiddingunless » Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:15 am

Link in the previous post broken.

Here's a joint statement from the 2nd dept: https://www.nycourts.gov/courts/ad2/pdf ... tement.pdf

Has anyone heard from their respective department?

Anonymous User
Posts: 348885
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NY Third Department Admissions

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:58 pm

justkiddingunless wrote:Link in the previous post broken.

Here's a joint statement from the 2nd dept: https://www.nycourts.gov/courts/ad2/pdf ... tement.pdf

Has anyone heard from their respective department?
I was scheduled for the April swearing in ceremony and I have followed up with the 3rd Department twice. Both times (March 16th and March 30th) I received this response: "The Court is considering several alternatives and will advise you in due course."

TO2NYlaw

New
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:31 am

Re: NY Third Department Admissions

Post by TO2NYlaw » Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:40 am

Has anyone had any luck getting information about alternatives to how to submit an application for admission given the uncertainty around mail service these days? I am outside the US and am worried about my application, and therefore all my original paperwork getting lost. Was hoping they might implement some kind of digital submission system, but not sure what the likelihood of that is.

QContinuum

Moderator
Posts: 3594
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:52 am

Re: NY Third Department Admissions

Post by QContinuum » Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:07 pm

TO2NYlaw wrote:Has anyone had any luck getting information about alternatives to how to submit an application for admission given the uncertainty around mail service these days? I am outside the US and am worried about my application, and therefore all my original paperwork getting lost. Was hoping they might implement some kind of digital submission system, but not sure what the likelihood of that is.
USPS is still operating. Back when I submitted, because I was paranoid about the post office losing my signed forms, I used FedEx. Got my forms there overnight, and with a tracking number. You can consider FedExing too (but if you do, make sure to mail to the "Express mail address", not the PO Box - FedEx/UPS can't deliver to PO Boxes, only the USPS can do so).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!


TO2NYlaw

New
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:31 am

Re: NY Third Department Admissions

Post by TO2NYlaw » Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:15 pm

QContinuum wrote:
TO2NYlaw wrote:Has anyone had any luck getting information about alternatives to how to submit an application for admission given the uncertainty around mail service these days? I am outside the US and am worried about my application, and therefore all my original paperwork getting lost. Was hoping they might implement some kind of digital submission system, but not sure what the likelihood of that is.
USPS is still operating. Back when I submitted, because I was paranoid about the post office losing my signed forms, I used FedEx. Got my forms there overnight, and with a tracking number. You can consider FedExing too (but if you do, make sure to mail to the "Express mail address", not the PO Box - FedEx/UPS can't deliver to PO Boxes, only the USPS can do so).
Thanks! I considered this as well, but since I'm outside the US and with the closed-border situation, I am still worried about it getting lost in a sorting facility. I was also advised that there may not be staff in the building to accept the package, so there's just a lot of uncertainty with that option too. I should have done that back in March before the border closure and when the office was still fully staffed, but was still too worried. Hopefully they can start accepting digital submissions with originals to follow - not sure why the system is still so old-school, the NCBE accepts digital submissions :(

Anonymous User
Posts: 348885
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NY Third Department Admissions

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
justkiddingunless wrote:Link in the previous post broken.

Here's a joint statement from the 2nd dept: https://www.nycourts.gov/courts/ad2/pdf ... tement.pdf

Has anyone heard from their respective department?
I was scheduled for the April swearing in ceremony and I have followed up with the 3rd Department twice. Both times (March 16th and March 30th) I received this response: "The Court is considering several alternatives and will advise you in due course."
Here's an email from the 3rd department regarding admissions ceremonies:
"Dear Applicant:

Attached please find a Statement from the Presiding Justices of the four Departments of the Appellate Division, dated April 7, 2020, advising that attorney admission operations will soon resume, including the possibility of virtual admission ceremonies in each Department.

Although we will endeavor to have all eligible applicants admitted as expeditiously as possible, we wish to promptly identify applicants with the most urgent need to be admitted to practice law in New York as we explore the possibility of conducting a virtual admission ceremony in mid-May with a very limited number of applicants. Consequently, we will consider requests to expedite your admission, as availability permits, upon a demonstration of urgent need or extreme hardship resulting from your delayed admission. Accordingly, if your admission in New York is sincerely urgent, please provide an email to the Admissions Office succinctly explaining your circumstances and we will attempt to accommodate your request.

The Admissions Office email is: AD3AdmissionsOffice@nycourts.gov"

coffee4life

New
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:07 pm

Re: NY Third Department Admissions

Post by coffee4life » Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:27 pm

meat tornado wrote:Just found out that I passed the February 2018 bar. My completed application was received on April 12, and I just forwarded my notice of certification. Do you think they will consider me for a summer date? My letter assigning me to the Third Dept. said that we could be considered for June if we submitted by May 17, but I'm afraid that the June date is already full

Hi! do you know about the email some people are getting with instructions for admission? do only the people who passed get it?

Anonymous User
Posts: 348885
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NY Third Department Admissions

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:06 am

coffee4life wrote:
meat tornado wrote:Just found out that I passed the February 2018 bar. My completed application was received on April 12, and I just forwarded my notice of certification. Do you think they will consider me for a summer date? My letter assigning me to the Third Dept. said that we could be considered for June if we submitted by May 17, but I'm afraid that the June date is already full

Hi! do you know about the email some people are getting with instructions for admission? do only the people who passed get it?
I would think only people who have passed and submitted a completed application are receiving the emails regarding the admission ceremonies.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...


justkiddingunless

New
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:04 pm

Re: NY Third Department Admissions

Post by justkiddingunless » Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:22 am

Has anyone heard that applied via motion in February/March?

I've just been reading the notices/updates but have not e-mailed the 3rd dept yet.

Anonymous User
Posts: 348885
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NY Third Department Admissions

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:41 pm

I was originally scheduled to be in Albany on June 24-25th for my interview and admission ceremony, but received the following e-mail this morning:
Dear Applicant:

Please be advised that the papers in support of your application for admission have been received and are complete. They will be referred to a member of the Court's Committee on Character and Fitness for investigation.

At the discretion of the Character and Fitness Committee member conducting the investigation, you may be required to participate in an interview before one or more members of the Committee. If an interview is required, you will be further advised in due course with details regarding the specifics of such an interview. If an interview is not required, depending upon availability, we will attempt to schedule you for the earliest available remote ceremony. At this time, the earliest available Ceremony you may be invited to participate in will be at noon on Friday, May 15, 2020. As soon as possible, we will invite you to participate in a remote ceremony. Please be advised that you may not receive an invitation for a remote ceremony until one week before the ceremony is scheduled to take place.

You will be furnished a certificate of your admission and good standing as an attorney and counselor-at-law after your admission.

IMPORTANT: Prior to admission, you must complete and file an initial attorney registration and fee payment ($375) with the Office of Court Administration (OCA) online. Complete instructions are available at https://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/aronline/BoleSearch.

If you are unable to virtually appear on the above date, please let this office know within ten days by email to AD3AdmissionsOffice@nycourts.gov. We will respond with additional information in due course. A list of admission dates is on the Court's homepage under Schedule of Terms. Should you cancel a rescheduled admission date, this office will not reschedule you for admission except upon your written explanation and request. Please be aware of your continuing obligation, until you take the attorney's oath, to keep this office informed of any changes in your application and to submit such further information as may be requested.

Thank you,

Attorney Admissions Office
Appellate Division, Third Department

soontobeNYAttorney

New
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:18 pm

Re: NY Third Department Admissions

Post by soontobeNYAttorney » Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:06 pm

Does anyone know why I havent received an email from the third department yet? I took the bar in Feb 2020 in NYC... Since I'm out of state I think I'd be assigned to Third dept. the fact that I havent received an email yet freaks me out...

Anonymous User
Posts: 348885
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NY Third Department Admissions

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:15 pm

Prior to receiving that email, did you submit a note to them expressing your circumstances or the urgency if you weren't offered a virtual swearing in?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!


Anonymous User
Posts: 348885
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NY Third Department Admissions

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Prior to receiving that email, did you submit a note to them expressing your circumstances or the urgency if you weren't offered a virtual swearing in?
Yes.

I received the same email above, after emailing the Third Department that I had an urgent need to be admitted. I tried to register and pay my admission fee, only to be met with a “technical error” notification on their website...

Anonymous User
Posts: 348885
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NY Third Department Admissions

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:27 am

justkiddingunless wrote:Has anyone heard that applied via motion in February/March?

I've just been reading the notices/updates but have not e-mailed the 3rd dept yet.
I applied via motion. I submitted my application the first week of February. By Early March I hadn’t heard anything so I emailed and they said they were still reviewing apps from December. I called, and they said write an email saying you have an urgent need to be admitted. I did, and then heard back immediately that my application was complete and I would be scheduled for a June interview. Then coronavirus happened. I just got an email saying there would be a virtual swearing ceremony on 5/15 and the email directed me to pay my registration fee. The website is not working, so I’m still trying to get that processed.

Anonymous User
Posts: 348885
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NY Third Department Admissions

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:41 pm

Hello! Have any of you applied for admission to the NY Third Department in mid-February and already heard back from them? I mean, without presenting that you have an urgent need to be admitted?

justkiddingunless

New
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:04 pm

Re: NY Third Department Admissions

Post by justkiddingunless » Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hello! Have any of you applied for admission to the NY Third Department in mid-February and already heard back from them? I mean, without presenting that you have an urgent need to be admitted?
I submitted my complete app in early March. I emailed them last week and they said that they are still working on applications from late January and early February

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!


Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”