NY Third Department Admissions

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
miel2790

New
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:47 am

Re: NY Third Department Admissions

Post by miel2790 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:37 am

It looks like they are starting to schedule people for December ceremonies.
My timeline:

Feb 2020 bar exam
April 2020 results and certification
July 29, 2020 submitted application
Sept 23, 2020 received request for more information
Sep 28, 2020 submitted further info and notified application complete.

Earliest ceremony invitation - Dec 8 2020.

Anonymous User
Posts: 370293
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NY Third Department Admissions

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:02 pm

Wow, I submitted mine 12 weeks before July 29 and I still have not heard anything. I have been trying to call them, but no answer. Does anyone have any suggestions what to do? I do not want to risk annoying them by being pushy (and being put at the end of the pile) as their automatic emails just say that you will be notified in due course...

Anonymous User
Posts: 370293
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NY Third Department Admissions

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:36 pm

enesi wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:40 pm
Is there anyone who was scheduled to be sworn in on October 15?
Yes. Submitted app early July, app complete mid-September. I was told in my email that the earliest ceremony I would be invited to attend was October 15.

Anonymous User
Posts: 370293
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NY Third Department Admissions

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:20 am

I tried to contact the third department regarding the status of my application. They replied "Please be advised your application is pending review with one of our attorneys." Does anyone know what that means?

Anonymous User
Posts: 370293
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NY Third Department Admissions

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:20 am
I tried to contact the third department regarding the status of my application. They replied "Please be advised your application is pending review with one of our attorneys." Does anyone know what that means?
It means one of the staff attorneys is reviewing your application.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!


Anonymous User
Posts: 370293
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NY Third Department Admissions

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:45 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:20 am
I tried to contact the third department regarding the status of my application. They replied "Please be advised your application is pending review with one of our attorneys." Does anyone know what that means?
It means one of the staff attorneys is reviewing your application.
Thank you!

Anonymous User
Posts: 370293
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NY Third Department Admissions

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:19 am

miel2790 wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:37 am
It looks like they are starting to schedule people for December ceremonies.
My timeline:

Feb 2020 bar exam
April 2020 results and certification
July 29, 2020 submitted application
Sept 23, 2020 received request for more information
Sep 28, 2020 submitted further info and notified application complete.

Earliest ceremony invitation - Dec 8 2020.
A question for you (or for anybody else who has info to contribute), but how long after you submitted you supplemental information did you get notified that your application was complete? The same day?

Anonymous User
Posts: 370293
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NY Third Department Admissions

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:19 am
miel2790 wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:37 am
It looks like they are starting to schedule people for December ceremonies.
My timeline:

Feb 2020 bar exam
April 2020 results and certification
July 29, 2020 submitted application
Sept 23, 2020 received request for more information
Sep 28, 2020 submitted further info and notified application complete.

Earliest ceremony invitation - Dec 8 2020.
A question for you (or for anybody else who has info to contribute), but how long after you submitted you supplemental information did you get notified that your application was complete? The same day?
Different person (I am the Oct 15th ceremony anon above) but: when I submitted supplemental information, I didn’t hear back the same day. I did hear back from the bar that my application was complete within three business days, however.

Anonymous User
Posts: 370293
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NY Third Department Admissions

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:19 am

How did people get informed that they were part of the December 8 swearing in ceremony? I had a minor C&H issue (inconsistency on law school app vs bar app involving a traffic ticket) and after sending in my explanation, got an email basically saying "we have received your supplemental information, if a C&H investigator wants to interview you they can, otherwise we're going to try and schedule you for the swearing in ceremony on December 8, 2020".

Is this unusual? They say in the email I may not receive an official invitation until a week beforehand, wondering if I should follow up with them at some point or whether I should be at all concerned (it is pretty vital that I get sworn in December).

(same anon as the above asking regarding supplemental info questions)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?


Anonymous User
Posts: 370293
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NY Third Department Admissions

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:03 am

When you receive the automated email from the Office of Attorney Admissions that your application has been received it says the following in the subject line "Application Received - New York State Appellate Division Third Department, Admissions Office - [five digit number]". Does anybody know what the five digit number stands for? Is it your qeue number?

Anonymous User
Posts: 370293
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NY Third Department Admissions

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:53 am

Does anyone know what the difference is between affidavit form and in the form of an affirmation made under penalty of perjury? Specifically with regard to paragraph 5 of the April 27 joint statement from the court:

https://www.nybarexam.org/Docs/Joint%20 ... ecuted.pdf

Thanks!!

anavlopez

New
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon May 25, 2020 3:35 pm

Re: NY Third Department Admissions

Post by anavlopez » Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:30 pm

How long have people being waiting for admission under Cover? I was certified in April 2020, and I'm still waiting.

Has anyone else have better luck?

Anonymous User
Posts: 370293
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NY Third Department Admissions

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:43 pm

I'd really appreciated it if someone could update here with the latest timeline for the ceremony? I sent my application mid-September. Thanks!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!


Anonymous User
Posts: 370293
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NY Third Department Admissions

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:43 pm
I'd really appreciated it if someone could update here with the latest timeline for the ceremony? I sent my application mid-September. Thanks!
I know the next ceremony is early December (December 6th I believe). They sent me an email saying that my application is complete and they will "try" to book me for that, after forwarding some supplemental material to C&F, but I have not received an invitation yet (they said I may receive an invitation as late as one week before the ceremony).

I sent my app in around mid July, they asked for supplemental info about 2 months later and then responded to the supplemental info one week after I sent it in.

Anonymous User
Posts: 370293
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NY Third Department Admissions

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:04 pm

Has anyone had any luck reaching the admissions office by phone? I submitted my application more than 6 months ago and am growing a little impatient and frustrated by the "you will be advised as to the status of your application in due course" auto-response.

Anonymous User
Posts: 370293
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NY Third Department Admissions

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:43 pm
I'd really appreciated it if someone could update here with the latest timeline for the ceremony? I sent my application mid-September. Thanks!

My timeline:

Feb 2020 bar exam
April 2020 results
September 2020 certification
Mid-September 2020 submitted application
Nov 12, 2020 received request for more information
Nov 12, 2020 submitted further info
Nov 12, 2020 notified application complete

Earliest ceremony invitation - Dec 8 2020

Anonymous User
Posts: 370293
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NY Third Department Admissions

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:43 pm
I'd really appreciated it if someone could update here with the latest timeline for the ceremony? I sent my application mid-September. Thanks!
My timeline:

Jul 2019 bar exam
Oct 2019 results
Certification Apr 2020
Apr 2020 submitted acknowledgement, I sent it in in Oct 2019
Jul, 2020 received request for more information
Aug 2020 submitted further info
Oct 28, 2020 notified application complete

Earliest ceremony invitation - Dec 8 2020, invitation can be sent as late as the week prior

Though honestly at this point, I'm likely to be admitted in Texas before NY, results in Texas are released Dec 4 and you can be sworn in on that same day.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...


Anonymous User
Posts: 370293
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NY Third Department Admissions

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:16 pm

My timeline:

July 2019 bar exam
Oct 2019 results
December 2019 certification
September 2020 submitted application
early November 2020 notified that application is complete and informed that staff will endeavor to schedule my remote admission ceremony as early as 8 December 2020, though subject to any character fitness interview, should one be deemed to be required by the committee

Anonymous User
Posts: 370293
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NY Third Department Admissions

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:12 pm

Has anybody actually received their official invitation to the ceremony? I know the language they send is along the lines of "the earliest you may be booked is..."

Will they send it exactly a week before? Getting sworn in this December is extremely important and I want to make sure I'm on the right track (I had sent in supplemental info and they explained that I may be asked to do an extra interview, otherwise the earliest I may be sworn in is December 8 ).

Thanks!

sbk06

New
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:34 pm

Re: NY Third Department Admissions

Post by sbk06 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:33 pm

Hello, I am a foreign qualified applicant (South Africa). I’m in the process of preparing my application and was wondering if there is someone who can please assist me as I have a few questions! I’m dropping my email so it will be easier to communicate (Sasabokala.motsepe@gmail.com) thx

Beingalive123

New
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:46 pm

Re: NY Third Department Admissions

Post by Beingalive123 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:46 pm

For those interested: I emailed a few days ago and they told me they were reviewing applications from early October.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!


Anonymous User
Posts: 370293
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NY Third Department Admissions

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:07 pm

Given that we are exactly one week away, did anyone of those who was tentatively scheduled for 8 December remote ceremony actually received a final invitation email?

Anonymous User
Posts: 370293
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NY Third Department Admissions

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:07 pm
Given that we are exactly one week away, did anyone of those who was tentatively scheduled for 8 December remote ceremony actually received a final invitation email?
I'm the Anon above who asked the same question. I received my formal invitation a few days ago (I had some supplemental information but C&F approved me without an interview).

Good luck, hopefully you received yours yesterday? Or otherwise maybe they'll send soon.

Anonymous User
Posts: 370293
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NY Third Department Admissions

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:25 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:07 pm
Given that we are exactly one week away, did anyone of those who was tentatively scheduled for 8 December remote ceremony actually received a final invitation email?
I'm the Anon above who asked the same question. I received my formal invitation a few days ago (I had some supplemental information but C&F approved me without an interview).

Good luck, hopefully you received yours yesterday? Or otherwise maybe they'll send soon.
When did you send your application and then receive the email that says your application was completed? I’d appreciated it if you can share your timeline.

Anonymous User
Posts: 370293
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NY Third Department Admissions

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:56 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:25 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:07 pm
Given that we are exactly one week away, did anyone of those who was tentatively scheduled for 8 December remote ceremony actually received a final invitation email?
I'm the Anon above who asked the same question. I received my formal invitation a few days ago (I had some supplemental information but C&F approved me without an interview).

Good luck, hopefully you received yours yesterday? Or otherwise maybe they'll send soon.
When did you send your application and then receive the email that says your application was completed? I’d appreciated it if you can share your timeline.
I don't really have the time to dig into my emails and find the exact timestamps, but in a general sense, I sent my initial application around mid July. About two months later they asked for some supplemental information, which I responded to after about one day, and they then responded about a week later with the tentative invitation to the December ceremony. I didn't hear anything after that until about a week ago when they confirmed my place.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!


Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”