California Bar Moral Character Application

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Sobriquet44

New
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:23 pm

Re: California Bar Moral Character Application

Post by Sobriquet44 » Fri May 15, 2020 12:02 pm

For me,

I sent my oath card on April 30th and I am yet to receive a bar number. I called on Tuesday and they said it usually takes about 3 weeks and that they are going a little slower due to the crisis but to check online in a week or so.
Billy Batts wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 7:28 pm
jgr992 wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:08 pm
Sobriquet44 wrote:Thanks!
jgr992 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How is ever yone who has gotten a positive determination going about getting admitted right now with courts closed? What's the best way to go and do that? Any possible way we can just do it remotely and mail it in without going in person? Hope we don't just have to wait till the statewide lockdown is over........Can be hard to apply to jobs without actually being admitted and having a bar number.
A notary public is your best bet - I was in and out in about 15 minutes, oath completed.
Additionally, I sent my oath card in on Friday, and received my bar number the following wednesday, so the Bar is still processing oath cards.
Did they let you know when you got your bar number, or did you have to keep searching your name online?

Anonymous User
Posts: 348885
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: California Bar Moral Character Application

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 18, 2020 2:38 pm

Does anyone have more April/May data on oath cards being sent out? I'd be very grateful to have some point of reference for how much things have slowed down on that front.

For those interested, here's some recent approval data:

Application Submitted: 11/10/2019
Request for follow-up materials: 1/10/2020
Filed Status: 2/9/2020
Approved: 5/5/2020

I passed the July 2019 exam. I called to follow up multiple times during the process (and found out who my analyst was along the way, which is why you don't see an "assigned to investigator" in my timeline) and was told each time there would be no priority given to those who have passed the bar. After the application went to "filed," I tried to be respectful of the "don't call us for 90-days" thing so I held off on calling for a while.

When I called in May, it became clear my application had just been sitting there waiting for a final skim and a press of the button to "approve." They said "Oh I see you passed the bar, sorry we haven't approved you yet!" (which had been true all the other times I called as well...) and approved me an hour after the call.

The moral of the story: I wouldn't wait the full 90-days as some people have suggested. I would call every other week or so. I framed my calls as "I understand the minimum time hasn't elapsed but I want to ask if you could just take a look at my application and see if there are any items you are waiting on (e.g., from school, from past employers). If so, I can help take care of that now to speed things up when time comes for review of my file." One time, there was actually something I was able to help with. The other times the answer was "no, there's nothing but here's the timeline/next steps."

nthp

New
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue May 22, 2018 4:09 pm

Re: California Bar Moral Character Application

Post by nthp » Fri May 22, 2020 12:33 am

I sent in my C&F in mid-April. I was wondering if it would take as long for me to go through C&F because I’m an attorney applicant and had already been scrutinized by another state. So I called the SF up in Mid May and found out I already had an investigator. My investigator told me if I didn’t hear back in a week to give him a call. In fact they did contact me a week later. Anyway, missing an item from my file, but it’s pretty straightforward so am expecting another response and perhaps an actual decision within the next week or two. Right now the status is internal review.

I hope this information is helpful. I think if you have a pretty straightforward case you might want to call up C&F and tell them so. They probably like to get the easy files out of the way first.

Also, if it helps out even further, my investigator asked me if I had a job contingent on the Bar and C&F. That may or may not have been a prioritization question.

marls

New
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:02 pm

Re: California Bar Moral Character Application

Post by marls » Tue May 26, 2020 4:57 pm

Hi Everyone,

Long time lurker, first-time commenter. This forum helped me so much throughout the entire process from LSAT to now, so I wanted to comment on my experience in the hopes that it can provide someone else with any stress relief.

I passed the bar first time July 2019. Due to family issues that came up during bar prep and after, I did not submit my C+F application until late October. I feel like my application did go a little faster because once I got the "Notice of Investigator" email, the State bar was already on notice that I had passed the bar.

Submitted Application: 10/29/2019
Received Email Notice that Application is filed: 12/5/2019
Introduction to Investigator Email: 3/9/2020
I emailed and posted to state bar feed a status update request: 3/24/2020
Received a Request for more Information: 4/9/2020
Submitted Response to Request for More Information: 5/19/2020
Received Positive Determination: 5/26/2020

As for the Request for more information, they had 2 questions. I anticipated the first question, the second not so much. The first question asked about the prior debt I had. In my response, I reached out and set up a payment plan with everyone. I submitted proof of contact with the debtors as part of my response. The second question asked why I was fired from a job during my freshman year of college. I got fired because I was a dumb drunk 19-year-old freshman that was late all the time and had no business being a researcher's assistant at the time lol. My response reflected that.

Now, I am waiting on my oath card!

pacificbrit

New
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu May 07, 2020 1:42 am

Re: California Bar Moral Character Application

Post by pacificbrit » Wed May 27, 2020 9:06 pm

So frustrating - the Bar is asking for a certified driving record from the UK (I lived there over ten years ago), however the UK agency (DVLA) is minimally staffed due to COVID and is outright not processing any paper applications.

I can provide a verification code/portal to allow them to directly access my records - but apparently that's not good enough because they'd rather have a scanned PDF of a paper copy. *facepalm*

Infuriating!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!


Thomas

New
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:30 am

Re: California Bar Moral Character Application

Post by Thomas » Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:11 pm

Long time lurker and likely my only post, but just to provide another data point.

Application Submitted: 12/9/19
Completion Notice: 1/26/20
Introduction to Investigator: 6/1/20
Positive Determination: 6/6/20

It took exactly 180 days.

tsb402

New
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:13 am

Re: California Bar Moral Character Application

Post by tsb402 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:19 pm

Sobriquet44 wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 12:02 pm
For me,

I sent my oath card on April 30th and I am yet to receive a bar number. I called on Tuesday and they said it usually takes about 3 weeks and that they are going a little slower due to the crisis but to check online in a week or so.


Would you mind sharing if you have your number now (and how long that took)? Anyone else have any recent-ish data on how long it's taking? Thanks in advance.

pacificbrit

New
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu May 07, 2020 1:42 am

Re: California Bar Moral Character Application

Post by pacificbrit » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:23 pm

As an update to my earlier post, my request to use a notarized electronic copy of my DL was eventually approved and I got a notice of complete application shortly afterwards - all it took was weekly emails/voicemails for 3 months to get things moving!

cls1650

New
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:37 pm

Re: California Bar Moral Character Application

Post by cls1650 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:14 pm

Does anyone know what "pending internal review" means?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?


Anonymous User
Posts: 348885
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: California Bar Moral Character Application

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:01 pm

cls1650 wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:14 pm
Does anyone know what "pending internal review" means?
It's nothing bad. It's one of three or four different statuses the application cycles through.

cls1650

New
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:37 pm

Re: California Bar Moral Character Application

Post by cls1650 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:01 pm
cls1650 wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:14 pm
Does anyone know what "pending internal review" means?
It's nothing bad. It's one of three or four different statuses the application cycles through.
Do you happen to know where in the cycle I might be? Or where there might be more information about the cycle?

Anonymous User
Posts: 348885
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: California Bar Moral Character Application

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:40 am

cls1650 wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:03 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:01 pm
cls1650 wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:14 pm
Does anyone know what "pending internal review" means?
It's nothing bad. It's one of three or four different statuses the application cycles through.
Do you happen to know where in the cycle I might be? Or where there might be more information about the cycle?
As memory serves, the application goes to "pending internal review" and then to "assigned to investigator" or "assigned to analyst" before the final decision is made. When it goes to the "assigned" status, you should receive an email that identifies the investigator/analyst.

treetops_rising

New
Posts: 91
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:46 pm

Re: California Bar Moral Character Application

Post by treetops_rising » Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:04 pm

Does anyone know how to update employment history on the Character & Fitness App? Is placing the update in the "feed" enough or should I make a request? Something else?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!


Anonymous User
Posts: 348885
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: California Bar Moral Character Application

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:55 pm

Hi everyone - long time lurker, first time poster. I am posting to give a timeline for my application process:

September 12, 2019: Application Submitted
October 1, 2019: Submitted fingerprints
October 10, 2019: Had an issue with a link for one recommender, resolved same day
December 16, 2019: Application Complete

February 25, 2020: I realized I forgot to include a drinking incident in college and updated the bar.
March 9, 2020: Updated the bar again regarding high school incidents I forgot to disclose as well as information regarding a past employer.
May 5, 2020: I started getting anxious and called, turns out my application got put in the "slow" pile after I submitted the update in February.

June 8, 2020: Intro to Investigator

June 26, 2020: Email from investigator asking about the college incident, specifically if I had informed the law school about the incident at the time of application. I did not, but fortunately I had reached out to my school March 3rd asking for them to update my application to reflect the incident. They did and sent me a letter to confirm. I sent that letter to the investigator and she subsequently approved me.

June 26, 2020: Approved.

Hang in there everyone!! I was super super stressed about missing little things and getting denied. If you do realize you forgot something that you should have include, do not be scared to do it. You will be much better off if you bring it up ahead of time.

jcallo

New
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:45 am

Re: California Bar Moral Character Application

Post by jcallo » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 2:38 pm
Does anyone have more April/May data on oath cards being sent out? I'd be very grateful to have some point of reference for how much things have slowed down on that front.

For those interested, here's some recent approval data:

Application Submitted: 11/10/2019
Request for follow-up materials: 1/10/2020
Filed Status: 2/9/2020
Approved: 5/5/2020

I passed the July 2019 exam. I called to follow up multiple times during the process (and found out who my analyst was along the way, which is why you don't see an "assigned to investigator" in my timeline) and was told each time there would be no priority given to those who have passed the bar. After the application went to "filed," I tried to be respectful of the "don't call us for 90-days" thing so I held off on calling for a while.

When I called in May, it became clear my application had just been sitting there waiting for a final skim and a press of the button to "approve." They said "Oh I see you passed the bar, sorry we haven't approved you yet!" (which had been true all the other times I called as well...) and approved me an hour after the call.

The moral of the story: I wouldn't wait the full 90-days as some people have suggested. I would call every other week or so. I framed my calls as "I understand the minimum time hasn't elapsed but I want to ask if you could just take a look at my application and see if there are any items you are waiting on (e.g., from school, from past employers). If so, I can help take care of that now to speed things up when time comes for review of my file." One time, there was actually something I was able to help with. The other times the answer was "no, there's nothing but here's the timeline/next steps."
Hey, thanks for sharing. Did you speak with your analyst every time you called in and asked if there are any items they are waiting for so you can help speed things up? If so, how many times did you speak with them? And how was their tone? Did they ever seem potentially annoyed? Thanks a bunch!

jcallo

New
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:45 am

Re: California Bar Moral Character Application

Post by jcallo » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:51 pm

FinallyPassedTheBar wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:38 pm
I just got my written notice that I passed the moral character determination application. :)

Still 3 to 4 weeks before I get my admission packet though :(

So it took a bit over 6 months for the bar to finalize it in my situation. And my background was not spotless (two misdemeanors).
NICE! I have a question on the misdemeanors. How did you navigate through that negativity? Just an addendum, or character declarations, other documents? Can you please elaborate on them, what kinds? Thanks!

User avatar
TheTaylor

New
Posts: 71
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:07 pm

Re: California Bar Moral Character Application

Post by TheTaylor » Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:39 pm

TheTaylor wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:46 pm
For anyone who has recently submitted. This is how my timeline has looked so far.

Submitted application on 12/27/2019.
Scanned and posted LiveScan and signed Acknowledgment on 1/2/2020.
Received filed status email on 2/3/2020.

This seems to be a lot quicker than what a lot of people were experiencing (e.g., 4-5 months between submission and filed status). Hoping that means things are starting to move a bit quicker for everyone. I guess it's also possible a lot of people my year haven't submitted the app yet, so there just aren't a whole lot of new apps to process yet. Most of my classmates seemed to be procrastinating on this, so it's probably the latter.
Received my approval email on 7/16/2020. Never got an investigator email, but did contact him once back in May after 90 days had gone by.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...


cls1650

New
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:37 pm

Re: California Bar Moral Character Application

Post by cls1650 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:00 pm

TheTaylor wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:39 pm
TheTaylor wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:46 pm
For anyone who has recently submitted. This is how my timeline has looked so far.

Submitted application on 12/27/2019.
Scanned and posted LiveScan and signed Acknowledgment on 1/2/2020.
Received filed status email on 2/3/2020.

This seems to be a lot quicker than what a lot of people were experiencing (e.g., 4-5 months between submission and filed status). Hoping that means things are starting to move a bit quicker for everyone. I guess it's also possible a lot of people my year haven't submitted the app yet, so there just aren't a whole lot of new apps to process yet. Most of my classmates seemed to be procrastinating on this, so it's probably the latter.
Received my approval email on 7/16/2020. Never got an investigator email, but did contact him once back in May after 90 days had gone by.
Can you explain what "filed status" means? If mine says pending internal review is it filed? Thanks.

User avatar
TheTaylor

New
Posts: 71
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:07 pm

Re: California Bar Moral Character Application

Post by TheTaylor » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:36 pm

cls1650 wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:00 pm
TheTaylor wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:39 pm
TheTaylor wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:46 pm
For anyone who has recently submitted. This is how my timeline has looked so far.

Submitted application on 12/27/2019.
Scanned and posted LiveScan and signed Acknowledgment on 1/2/2020.
Received filed status email on 2/3/2020.

This seems to be a lot quicker than what a lot of people were experiencing (e.g., 4-5 months between submission and filed status). Hoping that means things are starting to move a bit quicker for everyone. I guess it's also possible a lot of people my year haven't submitted the app yet, so there just aren't a whole lot of new apps to process yet. Most of my classmates seemed to be procrastinating on this, so it's probably the latter.
Received my approval email on 7/16/2020. Never got an investigator email, but did contact him once back in May after 90 days had gone by.
Can you explain what "filed status" means? If mine says pending internal review is it filed? Thanks.
I think that is what it says just before "pending internal review." I forgot the date that it said "pending internal review," but it was soon after it was deemed "filed."

cls1650

New
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:37 pm

Re: California Bar Moral Character Application

Post by cls1650 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:57 pm

Is there a difference between "assigned to investigator" and "assigned to analyst"? Thanks

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!


Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”