California Bar Moral Character Application Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: California Bar Moral Character Application

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:According to the State Bar, the processing of moral character applications is currently running approximately 240-260 days from initial submission (not the day on which you receive the "file complete" notification). At the 240-260 day mark, the application file will be assigned to an investigator for review (ideally approval) and/or determination of whether additional information is needed to finalize the process. To give some context, I submitted my application in mid-August 2019 and I am simply sitting in the queue to be assigned to an investigator (which likely won't happen for 2 more months). The old 180 day timeline is meaningless, and everybody should now have their eyes on a 8-9 month process from beginning to end.

Now let me welcome everybody to the wild, wild west . . .
Mine was 228 days from the the initial submission of the application to the "introduction to investigator" email. Then, the "introduction to investigator email oddly and vaguely states: "Most Applications for Determination of Moral Character will be processed within a minimum of 180 days." In other words, "most" (51% or more) applications will be processed "within a minimum" of 180 days (presumably 180 days from the date of the email). The phrase "within a minimum" is difficult for me to understand. I can understand "within a maximum," but not "within a minimum."
Do you mind me asking when you initially submitted your application? Also, knowing that you received the intro to your investigator email 228 days after that, have you received a determination already? If so, how long after receiving the intro to investigator email did you get your determination?
Submitted in June; email in January. Haven't heard anything from the bar since the "intro to investigator" email.

Sobriquet44

New

Post by Sobriquet44 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:According to the State Bar, the processing of moral character applications is currently running approximately 240-260 days from initial submission (not the day on which you receive the "file complete" notification). At the 240-260 day mark, the application file will be assigned to an investigator for review (ideally approval) and/or determination of whether additional information is needed to finalize the process. To give some context, I submitted my application in mid-August 2019 and I am simply sitting in the queue to be assigned to an investigator (which likely won't happen for 2 more months). The old 180 day timeline is meaningless, and everybody should now have their eyes on a 8-9 month process from beginning to end.

Now let me welcome everybody to the wild, wild west . . .
Apparently they are only 12 investigators that work at the bar. You've read that right, 12.

jgr992

New

Post by jgr992 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:29 pm

Another data point for those who submitted this past summer:

Submitted: 7/2019. After I passed the July 2019 bar, and hadn't heard anything, I called to ask what was up. Later that day, they deemed my file completed. Then I was stuck in "initial processing."
2/7/2020: Assigned to investigator. Heard nothing, then called on 2/20/2020. He told me he hadn't looked at my file yet, but would look at it later that day and tell me if he needed more information.
My file was approved 2 hours later.

Pretty sure my file sat from 7/2019 until 2/20/2020, when I called. It literally took 2 hours to review and approve. So insanely aggravating.

Rusina

New

Post by Rusina » Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:31 pm

Can I ask what was the actual date that you received the "file deemed complete" email (you mentioned this was after you found out July bar results)?

Asking because the investigators are supposed to process the files in chronological order once they are deemed complete. I submitted my MC application in mid-June 2019, and finally received "file complete" email in early December. (I'm guessing I received the file complete notification a little later than you, since CBX results were released on Nov 15, 2019). Going by that logic/timeline, they should have at least assigned me to an investigator by now, but no dice...

I have called the MC Division a few times. The latest "person of the day" told me I should be in the pile of applications they "pull" (assign to an investigator) in February. FYI, they process about 350 applications a month.

jgr992

New

Post by jgr992 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:59 pm

Rusina wrote:Can I ask what was the actual date that you received the "file deemed complete" email (you mentioned this was after you found out July bar results)?

Asking because the investigators are supposed to process the files in chronological order once they are deemed complete. I submitted my MC application in mid-June 2019, and finally received "file complete" email in early December. (I'm guessing I received the file complete notification a little later than you, since CBX results were released on Nov 15, 2019). Going by that logic/timeline, they should have at least assigned me to an investigator by now, but no dice...

I have called the MC Division a few times. The latest "person of the day" told me I should be in the pile of applications they "pull" (assign to an investigator) in February. FYI, they process about 350 applications a month.

It was deemed completed on 11/19/19. That was the day I called after passing the bar and informed them of the fact. I think that expedited my process.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:47 pm

jgr992 wrote:Another data point for those who submitted this past summer:

Submitted: 7/2019. After I passed the July 2019 bar, and hadn't heard anything, I called to ask what was up. Later that day, they deemed my file completed. Then I was stuck in "initial processing."
2/7/2020: Assigned to investigator. Heard nothing, then called on 2/20/2020. He told me he hadn't looked at my file yet, but would look at it later that day and tell me if he needed more information.

Pretty sure my file sat from 7/2019 until 2/20/2020, when I called. It literally took 2 hours to review and approve. So insanely aggravating.
Congrats on the determination! Did you have your investigator's direct contact info or did you just call the MC division and ask to speak with your investigator?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:46 am

Rusina wrote:Can I ask what was the actual date that you received the "file deemed complete" email (you mentioned this was after you found out July bar results)?

Can you let us know if you were successfully “pulled” in Feb?

jgr992

New

Post by jgr992 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Congrats on the determination! Did you have your investigator's direct contact info or did you just call the MC division and ask to speak with your investigator?
Thanks! I had his name from the welcome to investigator email, and then I called the MC division and asked to be transferred to his line. I was surprised he actually picked up.

WhatsUP?

New

Post by WhatsUP? » Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:07 pm

jgr992 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks! I had his name from the welcome to investigator email, and then I called the MC division and asked to be transferred to his line. I was surprised he actually picked up.
I am going to be calling next week since it will be past the period of 90 days during which "the Committee will be unable to provide a status of the investigation." Have no idea who the investigator is or that one has been assigned. Trying very hard to be patient.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

WhatsUP?

New

Post by WhatsUP? » Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:10 pm

WhatsUP? wrote:
jgr992 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I am going to be calling next week since it will be past the period of 90 days during which "the Committee will be unable to provide a status of the investigation." Have no idea who the investigator is or that one has been assigned. Trying very hard to be patient.
I just need to reiterate . . . and vent . . . I am trying sooooooo hard to be patient. I am actually fighting the urge to just call today or tomorrow, BUT I will call on the 91st day. Exhale. . .exhale. . . exhale. . .

jgr992

New

Post by jgr992 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:25 pm

WhatsUP? wrote:
WhatsUP? wrote:
jgr992 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I just need to reiterate . . . and vent . . . I am trying sooooooo hard to be patient. I am actually fighting the urge to just call today or tomorrow, BUT I will call on the 91st day. Exhale. . .exhale. . . exhale. . .
I do think waiting until the 91st day is a good idea, but after that, I would call fairly consistently (i.e. once a week). I have talked to so many people who sat waiting and then as soon as they called, the ball was pushed forward in some respect. I emphasized, as diplomatically as humanely possible, that my employer was running out of patience (which they were), and that I was worried about my job. I think they related to that sort of sentiment.

WhatsUP?

New

Post by WhatsUP? » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:04 pm

[/quote]I do think waiting until the 91st day is a good idea, but after that, I would call fairly consistently (i.e. once a week). I have talked to so many people who sat waiting and then as soon as they called, the ball was pushed forward in some respect. I emphasized, as diplomatically as humanely possible, that my employer was running out of patience (which they were), and that I was worried about my job. I think they related to that sort of sentiment.[/quote]

Thanks for the encouragement. Hopefully, all will be well.

jgr992

New

Post by jgr992 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:19 pm

WhatsUP? wrote:
I do think waiting until the 91st day is a good idea, but after that, I would call fairly consistently (i.e. once a week). I have talked to so many people who sat waiting and then as soon as they called, the ball was pushed forward in some respect. I emphasized, as diplomatically as humanely possible, that my employer was running out of patience (which they were), and that I was worried about my job. I think they related to that sort of sentiment.[/quote]

Thanks for the encouragement. Hopefully, all will be well.[/quote]

I think they're making quick progress now. The holidays stopped things completely. I'm sure yours will be approved before you know it!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

WhatsUP?

New

Post by WhatsUP? » Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:00 pm

So, recently I received the email that an investigator was assigned to my file with the language "most applications for determination of moral character will be processed within a minimum of 180 days . . ."

I am glad. Yet, I feel as though I am more anxious . . . like there is an increased anticipation. Especially, since reading that there have been cases where hours after having received that email, applications have been approved (not the case here). I have to promise myself to not check my email every 30 minutes (lets be real, every 10 minutes) because that is making things worse!!!!!!!!

Thanks for all of your support everyone.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:37 pm

WhatsUP? wrote:So, recently I received the email that an investigator was assigned to my file with the language "most applications for determination of moral character will be processed within a minimum of 180 days . . ."

I am glad. Yet, I feel as though I am more anxious . . . like there is an increased anticipation. Especially, since reading that there have been cases where hours after having received that email, applications have been approved (not the case here). I have to promise myself to not check my email every 30 minutes (lets be real, every 10 minutes) because that is making things worse!!!!!!!!

Thanks for all of your support everyone.
Congrats on your assignment! Do let us know the timeline on the final outcome

rachb00k

New

Post by rachb00k » Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:07 pm

Wanted to share my data point for those anxiously waiting... 9.5 months all told.

Submitted: 5/6/2019
File complete email: 11/30/19
Assigned to investigator email: 12/30/2020
Positive determination email: 2/18/2020

I also want to encourage everyone to not be afraid to politely pester. I sent an email six months after submitting and it was updated to "filed" the next day. I sent another email in late January requesting a status update, was told it would be complete in two weeks. Then I called two weeks later and found out my out-of-state fingerprint cards got lost in the mail multiple times. I did a LiveScan in CA the next day and got the positive determination within a few days.

Rusina

New

Post by Rusina » Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Update here: I received "assigned to an investigator" email on Feb 28 (259 days from when I filed my application, to be exact) so they did "pull" my application in February... albeit very late into the month. I received positive MC determination notification email yesterday! :D So my experience was similar to most posters here - once I was assigned to an investigator, things progressed very rapidly. It is absolutely crazy though that the current wait time "in cue" to be assigned to an investigator is as long as it is - in my case, over 8.5 months! Good luck everyone, I am now waiting to receive my admissions materials and oath card (I passed the Feb 2019 Bar Exam, and only wish I had filed my MC application earlier to avoid this additional wait).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:59 pm

Application Submitted: 6/14/19
Notice: Completed/Filed: 11/9/19
Intro to Investigator: 1/27/20
Positive Determination: 3/5/20

WhatsUP?

New

Post by WhatsUP? » Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:54 pm

Rusina wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Update here: I received "assigned to an investigator" email on Feb 28 (259 days from when I filed my application, to be exact) so they did "pull" my application in February... albeit very late into the month. I received positive MC determination notification email yesterday! :D So my experience was similar to most posters here - once I was assigned to an investigator, things progressed very rapidly. It is absolutely crazy though that the current wait time "in cue" to be assigned to an investigator is as long as it is - in my case, over 8.5 months! Good luck everyone, I am now waiting to receive my admissions materials and oath card (I passed the Feb 2019 Bar Exam, and only wish I had filed my MC application earlier to avoid this additional wait).

CONGRATULATIONS -- So glad to hear!!! I have not heard anything yet. But, I am (now WAS :D ) in the same boat as you (i.e., passed the February 2019 Bar Exam) and had I even caught a clue that it would take so long to process I would have done it before Bar Review started! It is on the horizon, fingers crossed.

WhatsUP?

New

Post by WhatsUP? » Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Application Submitted: 6/14/19
Notice: Completed/Filed: 11/9/19
Intro to Investigator: 1/27/20
Positive Determination: 3/5/20
Congrats to you as well!

jgr992

New

Post by jgr992 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:22 pm

rachb00k wrote:Wanted to share my data point for those anxiously waiting... 9.5 months all told.

I also want to encourage everyone to not be afraid to politely pester. I sent an email six months after submitting and it was updated to "filed" the next day. I sent another email in late January requesting a status update, was told it would be complete in two weeks. Then I called two weeks later and found out my out-of-state fingerprint cards got lost in the mail multiple times. I did a LiveScan in CA the next day and got the positive determination within a few days.
Can I ask how long it took to get your oath card?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:58 pm

jgr992 wrote:
rachb00k wrote:Wanted to share my data point for those anxiously waiting... 9.5 months all told.

Can I ask how long it took to get your oath card?
Congrats to all who've gotten their determinations back!

To those who already passed the bar and only recently received a positive determination, how long did it take for you to receive your admission materials and oath card? Also, is there a particular procedure for being sworn in at a local state/federal court? Thanks in advance!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:23 pm

I just got an email from the Bar telling me that they were cancelling all upcoming informal conferences due to the corona virus. I'm trying to be understanding but this conference has been a long time coming, over a year and I already passed the bar. I guess I'm just fustrated and wondering if anyone else got this email?

lady_gaga

New

Post by lady_gaga » Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:33 pm

Interesting time comparison here!

Submitted January 10, 2020 - I'm a foreign applicant so did everything via hard copy and sent fingerprints and everything at once. Was very careful to follow directions and give a complete package.

Today March 16, 2020 - got an email that my application is complete and my references also got emails asking them to fill out a questionnaire thing so the investigation has started.

So approximately 2 months for this type of movement seems fast compared to other time references. I'm trying not get too excited or read into it but is there any truth to the rumor that if you pass the bar exam they expedite your moral character application? I wrote it just last month.

candlemantel

New

Post by candlemantel » Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:23 pm

Is the "assigned to investigator" email a standard step? Or does it indicate that they have found something "off" with the application?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”