California Bar Moral Character Application Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Billy Batts

Silver

Re: California Bar Moral Character Application

Post by Billy Batts » Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:29 pm

candlemantel wrote:Is the "assigned to investigator" email a standard step? Or does it indicate that they have found something "off" with the application?
It's standard and often a sign that you are getting close to the finish line.

existentcomp

New

Post by existentcomp » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:45 pm

Got the assigned to investigator letter last week on March 18, 2020 and got approved a week later. Total amount of days since submission 260 days. Investigator was really cool returned my call when I left a message and spoke to me twice about a few minor things he had questions on. He always called when he said he would and stuck to the time frame he communicated to me. Have to commend this guy considering they have thousands of these!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:46 pm

Does anyone know if oath cards are still being sent despite the state bar's offices shut down? My moral character application was approved a full month ago, and I still have not received my oath card.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:56 am

I am planning to take the July 2020 bar (if it happens) but I've got a clerkship lined up for immediately after (which doesn't require bar passage). Do I to submit my moral character application before I sit for the exam? Or can I delay until I after I get my results?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:21 pm

One of my internship's employer did not response the reference letter. So, my status is incomplete. Will that influence my application? Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know if oath cards are still being sent despite the state bar's offices shut down? My moral character application was approved a full month ago, and I still have not received my oath card.
Would definitely like to hear responses to this. Am waiting as well and am wondering if they're delaying sending out oath cards due to office closures.

Hope everyone is staying well and healthy!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:01 pm

How is everyone who has gotten a positive determination going about getting admitted right now with courts closed? What's the best way to go and do that? Any possible way we can just do it remotely and mail it in without going in person? Hope we don't just have to wait till the statewide lockdown is over........Can be hard to apply to jobs without actually being admitted and having a bar number.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know if oath cards are still being sent despite the state bar's offices shut down? My moral character application was approved a full month ago, and I still have not received my oath card.
Would definitely like to hear responses to this. Am waiting as well and am wondering if they're delaying sending out oath cards due to office closures.

Hope everyone is staying well and healthy!
My moral character application was approved on March 4. I received my oath card today -- in Massachusetts -- and the envelope was postmarked March 25, so the cards were still going out as of last week. Hang in there, everyone.

Rusina

New

Post by Rusina » Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:27 pm

Despite the COVID-19 situation, oath cards continue to be processed or at least were being processed until very recently. I received my positive MC determination notice on 03/04, and my admissions packet with oath card arrived in mail on last Friday, 03/27 (postmarked 03/25). Good luck everyone!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:52 pm

How long does it take for your name to be placed on the motion list to the CA Supreme Court assuming every requirement has been satisfied? If I received a positive moral character determination last week, should it be completed sometime this week? Also, will I receive some kind of notification once it is successfully completed? Thanks.

CEReds

New

Post by CEReds » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:45 am

Happy the nightmare is finally over for you!

After 234 days, I got the assigned to investigator email on Friday. Hope this means I’ll be done soon. Good luck to the rest of you waiting!
existentcomp wrote:Got the assigned to investigator letter last week on March 18, 2020 and got approved a week later. Total amount of days since submission 260 days. Investigator was really cool returned my call when I left a message and spoke to me twice about a few minor things he had questions on. He always called when he said he would and stuck to the time frame he communicated to me. Have to commend this guy considering they have thousands of these!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:47 pm

CEReds wrote:Happy the nightmare is finally over for you!

After 234 days, I got the assigned to investigator email on Friday. Hope this means I’ll be done soon. Good luck to the rest of you waiting!
existentcomp wrote:Got the assigned to investigator letter last week on March 18, 2020 and got approved a week later. Total amount of days since submission 260 days. Investigator was really cool returned my call when I left a message and spoke to me twice about a few minor things he had questions on. He always called when he said he would and stuck to the time frame he communicated to me. Have to commend this guy considering they have thousands of these!
Entering the 10th month. Fingers crossed.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I was assigned an investigator -- hope the end is near.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:54 pm

The fingerprint instructions state, "Online applicants must upload the completed Live Scan Form via the applicant portal." However, I can't find any greater specificity. Are we supposed to post the completed form under "Share an update" on the Moral Character Application page? Many thanks!

CEReds

New

Post by CEReds » Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:41 pm

You are correct. To upload the live scan form, you must share an update.

Best of luck on this journey
Anonymous User wrote:The fingerprint instructions state, "Online applicants must upload the completed Live Scan Form via the applicant portal." However, I can't find any greater specificity. Are we supposed to post the completed form under "Share an update" on the Moral Character Application page? Many thanks!

CEReds

New

Post by CEReds » Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:43 pm

10 months is ridiculous. I hope your investigator clears up the mess soon
Good luck!
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I was assigned an investigator -- hope the end is near.

Sobriquet44

New

Post by Sobriquet44 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:01 pm

Does anyone know the answer to this question?
Anonymous User wrote:How is everyone who has gotten a positive determination going about getting admitted right now with courts closed? What's the best way to go and do that? Any possible way we can just do it remotely and mail it in without going in person? Hope we don't just have to wait till the statewide lockdown is over........Can be hard to apply to jobs without actually being admitted and having a bar number.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jgr992

New

Post by jgr992 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:07 pm

Sobriquet44 wrote:Does anyone know the answer to this question?
Anonymous User wrote:How is everyone who has gotten a positive determination going about getting admitted right now with courts closed? What's the best way to go and do that? Any possible way we can just do it remotely and mail it in without going in person? Hope we don't just have to wait till the statewide lockdown is over........Can be hard to apply to jobs without actually being admitted and having a bar number.

Hey I just went to a notary public and took the oath, and sent in my card by mail. Still waiting for a bar number.

jgr992

New

Post by jgr992 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:10 pm

A notary public is your best bet - I was in and out in about 15 minutes, oath completed.

Sobriquet44

New

Post by Sobriquet44 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:20 pm

Thanks!
jgr992 wrote:
A notary public is your best bet - I was in and out in about 15 minutes, oath completed.

jgr992

New

Post by jgr992 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:08 pm

Sobriquet44 wrote:Thanks!
jgr992 wrote:
Additionally, I sent my oath card in on Friday, and received my bar number the following wednesday, so the Bar is still processing oath cards.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:17 am

I've seen another message about "assigned to investigator" emails and whether they're standard, but I wanted to know if this is what happens in everyone's process. I've heard that "Analyst" also clear you. Does this mean that Investigators are assigned when there's something that throws up a red flag or is Investigator just a new term fro analyst?

WhatsUP?

New

Post by WhatsUP? » Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:31 pm

WhatsUP? wrote:
I do think waiting until the 91st day is a good idea, but after that, I would call fairly consistently (i.e. once a week). I have talked to so many people who sat waiting and then as soon as they called, the ball was pushed forward in some respect. I emphasized, as diplomatically as humanely possible, that my employer was running out of patience (which they were), and that I was worried about my job. I think they related to that sort of sentiment.[/quote]

Thanks for the encouragement. Hopefully, all will be well.[/quote]

Guess what guys . . . I received the ever so long awaited email from the State Bar informing me that my Moral Character Application was approved!!!! Now I just have to wait for my Oath Packet in the mail. I have no idea by whom or how to get sworn in. I think I may literally go to the UPS Store and have a notary do it. But, that is the least of my concerns -- its done (almost). In total it was 10 months and two weeks. RELEIVED that it is here. Hang in there everyone.

Jc3po

New

Post by Jc3po » Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:39 pm

Thanks to all of you who posted - it helped me benchmark my own application process. Here is how the process unfolded for me (out of state attorney applicant):

September 30, 2019 - submitted application
December 4, 2019 - received "incomplete items / notice of deficiency" (minor gaps in work history; expired Live Scan form)
December 5, 2019 - submitted response
December 17, 2019 - received notice of Completed / Filed Application
March 30, 2020 - received Introduction to Investigator e-mail
April 6, 2020 - received notice of positive moral character determination

I responded to their questions within 24 hours on December 4. I didn't call to follow up, mostly because my expectations were that the process would take longer. So it took 189 days - no slowdown for the pandemic and really not too much longer than the 180 day minimum; ymmv. Good luck!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:09 pm

New to this, but wanted to see if anyone else is going through or has gone through Ca. informal hearing. I have 2 dui's on my record. Showed substantial proof of rehabilitation. I attended my "informal hearing" on Jan. 30, 2020. I have yet to get a final determination. Is there a deadline or time frame the committee has in providing a final decision?

Sucks waiting because bar results will be out in less than 4 weeks and my guess is committee will not issue final decision by the time I learn if I passed (or failed) the bar. Also, assuming I do not get a decision in my favor, when does the 2 year mark to reapply start? I first submitted my Moral App. on December of 2018. Would it be 2 years from then? Or 2 years from when they deny?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”