Which computer for the bar exam? Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."

Which computer for bar exam?

Faithful 8.5 year old Macbook that I comfortable with
85%
1 year old Lenovo that I know nothing about
15%

Total votes: 13

kellohitty

Bronze

Which computer for the bar exam?

Post by kellohitty » Tue May 30, 2017 7:31 pm

Hey guys, I'll keep it short.

My current computer (Macbook 2008 model) is 8.5 years old. I've been using it since day one, have made some upgrades (RAM and hard drive), and it still works like a dream. However, I'm nervous about using it for the bar exam because it is so old, and I don't want to take any chances in the event that it finally decides to die during the exam. I have the opportunity to use a friend's computer (higher-end Lenovo with Windows 10), and it is about a year old. However, I'm also concerned about using a computer that I'm not familiar with in the event that I might need to troubleshoot it (or don't like typing on it).

Thoughts?

ndp1234

Bronze

Re: Which computer for the bar exam?

Post by ndp1234 » Tue May 30, 2017 7:40 pm

If your computer worked well enough for law school exams, I would use the same one unless it exhibits signs that it will not be okay for the exam.

melmelcoolj

Bronze

Post by melmelcoolj » Tue May 30, 2017 9:39 pm

kellohitty wrote:Hey guys, I'll keep it short.

My current computer (Macbook 2008 model) is 8.5 years old. I've been using it since day one, have made some upgrades (RAM and hard drive), and it still works like a dream. However, I'm nervous about using it for the bar exam because it is so old, and I don't want to take any chances in the event that it finally decides to die during the exam. I have the opportunity to use a friend's computer (higher-end Lenovo with Windows 10), and it is about a year old. However, I'm also concerned about using a computer that I'm not familiar with in the event that I might need to troubleshoot it (or don't like typing on it).

Thoughts?
In general, don't use a computer you don't know very well. In my opinion, the Windows 10 system is not very easy to use without prior experience.

Neve

Bronze

Post by Neve » Tue May 30, 2017 10:10 pm

I used a four-year Dell for the bar exam - it went with me all through law school including some bad falls. It was a champ and made it through three days. I say use your Mac - it's earned its keep.

rcharter1978

Gold

Post by rcharter1978 » Wed May 31, 2017 12:23 pm

Use your Mac. Bring an extra power cord. Also, even if it does fail I think examsoft saves every 10 seconds so you dont have to write the whole thing.

A guy next to me had his computer give him the blue screen of death during the exam. He had to write from where he left off, not from the beginning.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kellohitty

Bronze

Post by kellohitty » Wed May 31, 2017 3:48 pm

Thank you everyone for your responses. I was definitely leaning towards using the friend's computer, but your input has changed my opinion. I still have about a month until I need to decide, but I am definitely considering using my own computer more now.

Side note: Would your opinion change if you knew I had a couple weeks prior to the exam to use the computer and get used to it?

cnk1220

Silver

Post by cnk1220 » Wed May 31, 2017 4:26 pm

kellohitty wrote:Thank you everyone for your responses. I was definitely leaning towards using the friend's computer, but your input has changed my opinion. I still have about a month until I need to decide, but I am definitely considering using my own computer more now.

Side note: Would your opinion change if you knew I had a couple weeks prior to the exam to use the computer and get used to it?

Also- examsoft/most stated BOLEs recommend having access to the computer you use for the exam in case anything goes wrong with accessing your exam files, you are expected to help assist them in gaining access (since mac will save your exam files on your computer) although this is unlikely, but still- it's recommended to use your own computer so you'll have access to it for the 2-2.5 months that grading takes.

If possible maybe get a new macbook for the exam?

kellohitty

Bronze

Post by kellohitty » Wed May 31, 2017 4:48 pm

cnk1220 wrote:
kellohitty wrote:Thank you everyone for your responses. I was definitely leaning towards using the friend's computer, but your input has changed my opinion. I still have about a month until I need to decide, but I am definitely considering using my own computer more now.

Also- examsoft/most stated BOLEs recommend having access to the computer you use for the exam in case anything goes wrong with accessing your exam files, you are expected to help assist them in gaining access (since mac will save your exam files on your computer) although this is unlikely, but still- it's recommended to use your own computer so you'll have access to it for the 2-2.5 months that grading takes.

If possible maybe get a new macbook for the exam?
This is another good consideration. I could get a new Macbook, but the finances are tight until I start working in September. If I can keep my Macbook alive for a couple more years, I definitely want to try, so buying a new one is definitely a last resort for me.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”