Best way to memorize rules Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
jir92

Bronze

Best way to memorize rules

Post by jir92 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:43 pm

Taking the NY Bar (UBE). I'm doing decent and improving (around 60%) on MBE, and I generally write essays and MPTs pretty well, but for the MEE I am still using my lecture notes for rules. I am having trouble memorizing full rules for the different MEE topics. I can usually recognize most issues in an essay. And for the MBE, I am generally able to recognize the right answer for MBE, but I am very concerned that I have not memorized full rules yet for the MEE.

The Kaplan one-sheets do not seem to be seeping the rules into my brain, and I am trying to figure out the best way to memorize (handwrite out all the rules? Re-read my lecture notes word by word? Just do MEE's until I memorize?) Thanks.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: Best way to memorize rules

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:09 pm

If I want actually to memorize I have to recite everything aloud - start with what I know, go till I mess up, then start over. Usually it helps me to pace around while doing it.

Doesn't work in coffeeshops or libraries of course.

jir92

Bronze

Post by jir92 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:29 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:If I want actually to memorize I have to recite everything aloud - start with what I know, go till I mess up, then start over. Usually it helps me to pace around while doing it.

Doesn't work in coffeeshops or libraries of course.
Thanks so basically is your strategy to read your notes aloud and repeat the rules until memorized?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:55 pm

Pretty much. I outlined the material and then just started from the top of the outline. So I'd read the first few lines or so, shut my eyes and try to recite them aloud, and redo until I had it down. Then move to the next few lines, do the same for them, then go back to the beginning and put the two sections together. Then the next section. Etc. It's not fun but it's always worked for me when I really want to know something word for word (I do it now for openings/closings). The further away from the test date, the more you have to review it to maintain it - this isn't a real long-term memory storage method.

For the bar I did also use mnemonics for some of the rules, but the ones I made up were terrible and I can't remember any of them now.

The other thing is to think about what rules you really want to know word for word and what stuff you just need the gist that the rules will trigger. Like if you memorize duty, breach, causation, damages (dumb example but only thing I can remember), how many rules about duty do you want to know by heart? Do you want to memorize word for word rules re:proximate cause or do you feel comfortable enough with the concept that you're okay describing it in your own words? That kind of thing.

LockBox

Bronze

Post by LockBox » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:26 pm

jir92 wrote:Taking the NY Bar (UBE). I'm doing decent and improving (around 60%) on MBE, and I generally write essays and MPTs pretty well, but for the MEE I am still using my lecture notes for rules. I am having trouble memorizing full rules for the different MEE topics. I can usually recognize most issues in an essay. And for the MBE, I am generally able to recognize the right answer for MBE, but I am very concerned that I have not memorized full rules yet for the MEE.

The Kaplan one-sheets do not seem to be seeping the rules into my brain, and I am trying to figure out the best way to memorize (handwrite out all the rules? Re-read my lecture notes word by word? Just do MEE's until I memorize?) Thanks.
To me, memorizing the rule is the same thing as making a free-throw shot in basketball. Sure, I basically know what anticipatory repudiation is (I know I shoot from the line and should make it in the basket), but do I know it? It comes from practice. The rules I felt most comfortable with are the ones where I opened a blank word document, grabbed a CA bar previous exam and took it.

I FOUGHT with my tutor about this. She said, no do not test yourself. Read from your notes first and then you'll just magically remember. To me, memorizing is about constantly testing my memory, failing, revising, repeating. Over and over. You don't cram for this thing which is why it takes so much time.

By game day, I had tested myself so many times that I actually felt confident (or as confident one can be) while sitting at the bar. Whether the issue was right or not, I know I crushed the rule statements. Obv this is just my experience, but thought I would share. Keep writing.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tfer2222

Bronze

Post by tfer2222 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:24 pm

agree re above. my go-to has always been flashcards. drill them over and over and over again.

maztastic247

New

Post by maztastic247 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:46 pm

For essays practice timed essays under test conditions basically meaning NO NOTES! Review the explanatory answers after and write the issue down on the front of the card and the rule statement down on the back. Issues are tested over and over again in essays so once you can spot the issue (if you diligently go over your flash cards) you will know the rule statements and from there you can apply the facts to the rule and you will be in decent shape to pass your essays.

For going over your flashcards do what works best for you to memorize them. If writing works best look at the issue and write down the rule statement before looking at it. Say it out loud, record your self and play it back if hearing it helps you! I think constantly testing yourself is key.

Poets

New

Post by Poets » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:28 am

Does anyone know any services, books, etc to summarize RULES for MEE only? For instance, for negligence, duty, breach of duty, causation, proximate cause and damages. That contains only keywords or buzzwords.

In the current Themis outlines and lecture handouts, there are so many other rules that I don't have to memorize to take the MEE.

pdwannabe

New

Post by pdwannabe » Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:33 am

Poets wrote:Does anyone know any services, books, etc to summarize RULES for MEE only? For instance, for negligence, duty, breach of duty, causation, proximate cause and damages. That contains only keywords or buzzwords.

In the current Themis outlines and lecture handouts, there are so many other rules that I don't have to memorize to take the MEE.
I would also be really interested in this

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ethanwoo

New

Post by ethanwoo » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:37 am

pdwannabe wrote:
Poets wrote:Does anyone know any services, books, etc to summarize RULES for MEE only? For instance, for negligence, duty, breach of duty, causation, proximate cause and damages. That contains only keywords or buzzwords.

There is studicata and smartbarprep.

My friend is using studicata and I am using smartbarprep, and imo there isn't much difference except it feels like studicata (is more like westlaw) and smartbarprep (lexisnexis).

also, I saw JD advicing on MEE one sheet. Have no idea how that one is though.

ndp1234

Bronze

Post by ndp1234 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:08 am

pdwannabe wrote:

Rigos MEE Primer was really helpful in memorization. I started looking at this book about a couple of weeks before the exam. It has what they call "MEE Magic Outlines" that focuses on memorization. The rest of the book may not be worth it, but those magic outlines were gold imo. See if your law library has a copy, that's where I got mine so I didn't purchase it.

Jss

New

Post by Jss » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:31 pm

I am terrible at memorizing, however I found this quite useful.

http://www.productivity501.com/how-to-m ... -text/294/

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”