NY Bar Admission application Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
reasonable_man_03

New

NY Bar Admission application

Post by reasonable_man_03 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:58 pm

I sent my Admission application to 3rd dept in December, received acknowledgement email from the admissions office on the 28th December.

Unfortunately I received a speeding ticket on the 29th December and as a result I immediately informed the NY bar admission office and asked If I was supposed to amend my application. They replied the next day saying that they will consider the speeding ticket as an update to my application and will let me know if they need any additional info. To sum it up, i have reported a total of 10 traffic infractions (including the latest speeding ticket) to the Bar. I recieved these fines in the last two and a half year as I was recently issued a driving license in the country where I reside.

Today I called the Bar and asked if I was required to provide any additional info with respect to my application. The said to me that my application is in line for review and I should hear back within the next few weeks. Should I be worried at this stage? Do you think the traffic infractions might delay the admission process?

Thank you

ndp1234

Bronze

Re: NY Bar Admission application

Post by ndp1234 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:33 pm

No, I wouldn't worry about. My interviewer told me that she only recalls denying admission to one person, who had a serious criminal issue. I had traffic infractions too, and it wasn't a big deal. I'm sure many applicants are bad drivers, but that doesn't reflect on the ability to practice law as say a history of fraud or embezzlement.

reasonable_man_03

New

Post by reasonable_man_03 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:10 pm

ndp1234 wrote:No, I wouldn't worry about. My interviewer told me that she only recalls denying admission to one person, who had a serious criminal issue. I had traffic infractions too, and it wasn't a big deal. I'm sure many applicants are bad drivers, but that doesn't reflect on the ability to practice law as say a history of fraud or embezzlement.
Thanks for your reply. Well its been more than three weeks 3rd dept has my application. What is the usual response time from the admissions office? I was also wondering if they were to determine that my probono work was not qualified (as per the NY guidelines) would they have informed me by now?

ndp1234

Bronze

Post by ndp1234 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:35 pm

I was in the 2d and I did a special out of state program so my experience was atypical, but I still called them to ask for my interview information when the ceremony was a week away. They reached out to the committee member that I was supposed to interview with to get them to send a confirmation since the 2d department doesn't handle the interviews and leaves it up to the C&F committees to take care of it. Just call them and ask since they only do two ceremonies each year and one is supposed to be this month.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”