Clearing Speeding Ticket after 5 years Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
mightymouse23

New

Clearing Speeding Ticket after 5 years

Post by mightymouse23 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:32 pm

I called my state's driver's records center and since my 1 and only speeding ticket was more than 5 years ago they cleared/removed it from my record for me over the phone. Now I'm applying to the California bar and there's a section on criminal convictions that mentions that if a conviction was destroyed/removed/etc. then you can exclude it and only have to include a copy of the state statute that provides for it. Am I correct in that "clearing" the driver's record satisfies this? Or is it still a conviction that's not subject to that exception? Anyone have experience in this? I want to disclose it either way, but I'd prefer to check the box that I fall under the exception and include the state statute that involves being able to destroy drivers record convictions after 5 years, and then just disclose it and include a copy of my prior record showing the conviction and that I paid it. Thoughts?

thegrayman

Silver

Re: Clearing Speeding Ticket after 5 years

Post by thegrayman » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:10 pm

Check what a speeding ticket is classified as in the state where you got it. California only asks for misdemeanors or greater I believe, I didn't list speeding tickets since mine were earned in California where they were only infractions.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”