NY Bar exam place? Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Poets

New

NY Bar exam place?

Post by Poets » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:59 pm

Hey, anyone received an email about where to take the NY bar? (Albany, NY, etc)

Since I am an out of state applicant, I will be taking the exam in Albany or Buffalo, right? I am anxious to know since the flight price goes up every day...sigh..

BlenderBtl90

New

Re: NY Bar exam place?

Post by BlenderBtl90 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:35 pm

I took the exam this summer, and I was also out-of-state. I took it at Saratoga Springs and I LOVED that place! It's a beautiful, quite little town which helped with the stress of the exam. The staff/proctors were very professional. The place where the exam was held was also not huge. I really recommend it.

Poets

New

Post by Poets » Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:03 pm

BlenderBtl90 wrote:I took the exam this summer, and I was also out-of-state. I took it at Saratoga Springs and I LOVED that place! It's a beautiful, quite little town which helped with the stress of the exam. The staff/proctors were very professional. The place where the exam was held was also not huge. I really recommend it.
Thanks so much. When do you think you received the email that asked you to choose the text place? And there are two places - Albany and Buffalo for out-of-state. Is Saratoga Springs part of Buffalo?

BlenderBtl90

New

Post by BlenderBtl90 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:05 pm

Oh. Then they might not have it a Saratoga because it's less people taking it in February. Hmm. I got the email earlier this summer with all the options, including Albany and Saratoga. S

ArtistOfManliness

Silver

Post by ArtistOfManliness » Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:42 pm

ALBANY IS SHIT.

I've heard good things about Buffalo, though.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Itwasluck

New

Post by Itwasluck » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:37 pm

I was out of state (lived in Jersey City) and was able to take it in Javits. If you want to take it at Javits, you need to be ready to sign up immediately upon receiving the email. It took about 3 minutes for Javits to fill up for out of staters

bwh8813

Bronze

Post by bwh8813 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:35 pm

You'll get an email with a link to choose your location. It will give you all options with spots remaining - even NYC if you're out of state and there are still slots. For July, it came in early June I believe. I took it in Buffalo and it was as good an experience as I could've hoped for. It was, however, not February in Buffalo.

iwantmybar

Bronze

Post by iwantmybar » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:58 pm

Here is part of the email I received on january 6th last year for NY :

"New York City - Amory Track and Field Center (laptop and handwrite) and Millennium Broadway Hotel (handwrite only)
White Plains (Westchester) - New York State Judicial Institute
Albany - Empire State Plaza
Buffalo - Buffalo Niagara Convention Center"

If you want NYC, be ready to sign up literally in the next 5 minutes following the reception of that email.

I picked up Albany, i don't know why someone said it was shit, i thought it was way better than Javitz. It was nice.

ArtistOfManliness

Silver

Post by ArtistOfManliness » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:48 pm

iwantmybar wrote:Here is part of the email I received on january 6th last year for NY :

"New York City - Amory Track and Field Center (laptop and handwrite) and Millennium Broadway Hotel (handwrite only)

If you want NYC, be ready to sign up literally in the next 5 minutes following the reception of that email.

I picked up Albany, i don't know why someone said it was shit, i thought it was way better than Javitz. It was nice.
Albany is shit b/c it is impossible to get a cab from an airport, when you do and have to share it with three other people it somehow still costs like $40 a person, and there is no decent place to eat food. Everyone I know who went to Albany hated it. Everyone I know who went to Buffalo loved it.

Also, if you are somehow fooled into Albany, stay anywhere but the Hilton. Sure, it costs a lot, but paint literally peels off of the walls in all the rooms.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Poets

New

Post by Poets » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:33 pm

iwantmybar wrote:Here is part of the email I received on january 6th last year for NY :

This is really helpful! (I have been religiously checking my emails every hour haha) Super thanks!!!
I will pick Albany, too... since Buffalo is too far away from NY and I plan on visiting friends in NY. (out of applicant will get an option between Albany and Buffalo, not NY city)

WheatThins

Bronze

Post by WheatThins » Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:16 pm

If you are out of state, I'd try really hard to get NYC. Flights are just so much more regular, and if there is some bad weather you don't want to be out of luck.

iwantmybar

Bronze

Post by iwantmybar » Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:31 pm

ArtistOfManliness wrote:

Albany is shit b/c it is impossible to get a cab from an airport, when you do and have to share it with three other people it somehow still costs like $40 a person, and there is no decent place to eat food. Everyone I know who went to Albany hated it. Everyone I know who went to Buffalo loved it.

Also, if you are somehow fooled into Albany, stay anywhere but the Hilton. Sure, it costs a lot, but paint literally peels off of the walls in all the rooms.
I haven't experienced the commute from the airport so i can't say. I just picked up albany because it was the closest place from NYC and the train wasn't that expensive ($164 roundtrip).

I stayed at the best western but you need a cab since it's a 15mn drive from the test center. Nevertheless the hotel organized a ride for the bar takers ($15 each way).

For the admission ceremony, I stayed at the hampton inn which is nearby the test center (5-7mn walking), it wasn't bad at all and much more convenient to take the test (no need to take a cab and very close from the train station).

Regarding the place to eat...yeah i have to admit that the problem with albany is that this place is pretty empty and ghost'ish.

However (and i'm not a tour guide) i went to the dawn's victory sport cafe and the guacamole burger is pretty good :lol:

seasidemama

New

Post by seasidemama » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:09 pm

Itwasluck wrote:I was out of state (lived in Jersey City) and was able to take it in Javits. If you want to take it at Javits, you need to be ready to sign up immediately upon receiving the email. It took about 3 minutes for Javits to fill up for out of staters

Yes - I can confirm this. I am out of state and was able to get Javits.

If you want to try for Javits, make sure you are ready to sign up IMMEDIATELY after receiving the e-mail. For this past July, Javits was closed for out of state applicants within minutes of the e-mail going out.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

RedGiant

Post by RedGiant » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:50 am

BlenderBtl90 wrote:I took the exam this summer, and I was also out-of-state. I took it at Saratoga Springs and I LOVED that place! It's a beautiful, quite little town which helped with the stress of the exam. The staff/proctors were very professional. The place where the exam was held was also not huge. I really recommend it.
Totally cosign this. Saratoga Springs was absolutely lovely. You could walk out at lunchtime and grab a bite at a real restaurant. Great downtown for grabbing a drink after. Easy walk from several hotels in the morning. Chill venue. Plenty of bathrooms, etc. Test was well run and many proctors had been there for many years, and said it was a fun annual tradition. I heard Albany is a nightmare. Saratoga = big thumbs up.

pooh_pooh778

New

Post by pooh_pooh778 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:07 pm

seasidemama wrote:
Itwasluck wrote:I was out of state (lived in Jersey City) and was able to take it in Javits. If you want to take it at Javits, you need to be ready to sign up immediately upon receiving the email. It took about 3 minutes for Javits to fill up for out of staters

If you want to try for Javits, make sure you are ready to sign up IMMEDIATELY after receiving the e-mail. For this past July, Javits was closed for out of state applicants within minutes of the e-mail going out.
I am out-of-state and would like to try my luck for Javits. Can you tell me a bit more about the content of that email? Do we need to fill out anything or log into any account to complete the whole process? Just want to be as prepared as I can be!

seasidemama

New

Post by seasidemama » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:13 pm

pooh_pooh778 wrote:
seasidemama wrote:

I am out-of-state and would like to try my luck for Javits. Can you tell me a bit more about the content of that email? Do we need to fill out anything or log into any account to complete the whole process? Just want to be as prepared as I can be!
You are given a link to log in and choose which location you want. Only available locations are displayed on the page. Pretty simple. Just need to be able to click and choose immediately after receiving the email.

MCFC

Platinum

Post by MCFC » Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:36 am

ArtistOfManliness wrote:ALBANY IS SHIT.

I thought Buffalo was just okay. No complaints with the administration of the test or the organization of the people involved, which I guess is the main thing; but the area around the convention center is pretty bleak.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:38 am

Poets wrote:
Thanks so much. When do you think you received the email that asked you to choose the text place? And there are two places - Albany and Buffalo for out-of-state. Is Saratoga Springs part of Buffalo?

Saratoga Springs is about 5 hours from Buffalo by car

ndp1234

Bronze

Post by ndp1234 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:50 pm

northwood wrote:
Poets wrote:

Saratoga Springs is about 5 hours from Buffalo by car
Saratoga Springs is closer to Albany. I live in Albany now and it's like a 20-30 minute drive on a good day.

pooh_pooh778

New

Post by pooh_pooh778 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:27 pm

Anyone planning to go to White Plains or has taken the Bar there? Can't find much discussion about this test site on the internet :/

Startled Rabbit

New

Post by Startled Rabbit » Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:59 am

MCFC wrote:
ArtistOfManliness wrote:ALBANY IS SHIT.

I thought Buffalo was just okay. No complaints with the administration of the test or the organization of the people involved, which I guess is the main thing; but the area around the convention center is pretty bleak.
The area around the center depressed me. Even the people on the streets looked sad all the time.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lolabear727

Bronze

Post by lolabear727 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:11 pm

I am taking it February 2017. I live in FL and was thinking the same thing about the flight prices and securing a hotel. I'm hoping for White Plains if I am able to pick something other than Buffalo or Albany.

lolabear727

Bronze

Post by lolabear727 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:19 pm

pooh_pooh778 wrote:Anyone planning to go to White Plains or has taken the Bar there? Can't find much discussion about this test site on the internet :/

I plan to take it in White Plains if out-of-staters are able and it is available. I would love to hear some info about it as well. My friend took it there in July 2014, said it was fine, not a super busy location.

lolabear727

Bronze

Post by lolabear727 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:21 pm

Do you know what time they sent that email? I'm hoping around lunch time..

Luluxx

New

Post by Luluxx » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:12 pm

Hello,

I am an out-of-state taker too, was just wondering if anyone has received the email yet?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”