Back to Back Bar Exams? Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
overthis89

New

Back to Back Bar Exams?

Post by overthis89 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:29 pm

I took the NY Bar exam a total of 5 times - 4 times I failed by 1 point & I FINALLY passed this one!

I'm planning on taking the FL Bar and I'm torn as to whether I should jump right into it and do it in February or wait a year and do it in February 2018? Any thoughts from other people here?? Give yourself a mental break away from studying (finally!) or just tread right along and get it done?

ArtistOfManliness

Silver

Re: Back to Back Bar Exams?

Post by ArtistOfManliness » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:34 pm

overthis89 wrote:I took the NY Bar exam a total of 5 times - 4 times I failed by 1 point & I FINALLY passed this one!

I'm planning on taking the FL Bar and I'm torn as to whether I should jump right into it and do it in February or wait a year and do it in February 2018? Any thoughts from other people here?? Give yourself a mental break away from studying (finally!) or just tread right along and get it done?
You failed all four times by one point?

And why would you do this?

I have so many questions. And no answers.

Prana-9

New

Post by Prana-9 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:40 pm

overthis89 wrote:I took the NY Bar exam a total of 5 times - 4 times I failed by 1 point & I FINALLY passed this one!

Given that you took the bar exam five times already, give yourself a mental break for the rest of your life, don't take another bar exam again, and focus on securing a job in NY.

encore1101

Silver

Post by encore1101 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:49 pm

That's a load of resilience. Congrats!

ClubberLang

Bronze

Post by ClubberLang » Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:24 pm

ArtistOfManliness wrote:

You failed all four times by one point?

And why would you do this?

I have so many questions. And no answers.
What he said...

Shouldn't you look for a job? If you don't want to work in NY, why did you take the bar 5 times? Legitimately perplexed here, please follow up.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

overthis89

New

Post by overthis89 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:52 pm

Sorry, let me clarify. I took the bar exam 5 times - 4 times I failed by 1 point - had 664/665.

I have a job - a very good one at that and I'm not looking to switch jobs at the moment. I lucked out immensely so I'm not worried about employment. I've been wanting to take the FL bar because my whole family lives there - I'm simply torn on whether to do it now or wait for it. Thoughts?

For those that congratulated - THANK YOU! Best feeling in the world!!!

trebekismyhero

Silver

Post by trebekismyhero » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:29 pm

Damn, you failed all 4 times by a point? That is some bad luck. But congrats on finally passing.

As others have said, if you are not looking to move right away, take a breather and wait until July to do Florida. Are you in a JD advantage job right now? If not, it might be hard to transition to an atty position in Florida anyways

AspiringCALawyer

New

Post by AspiringCALawyer » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:51 pm

trebekismyhero wrote:Damn, you failed all 4 times by a point? That is some bad luck. But congrats on finally passing.

As others have said, if you are not looking to move right away, take a breather and wait until July to do Florida. Are you in a JD advantage job right now? If not, it might be hard to transition to an atty position in Florida anyways
I've been licensed in NY for 16 years and had a longstanding goal to take and conquer the CA bar. I chickened out over the years, especially since I was working in-house in NY and most recently IL. This year I finally took the plunge after accepting a package from my former company in order to realize the dream of moving back to CA (lived there before law school). My brain was fried with having to take back-to-back attorney CA bar exams (Feb 2016 (failed by 60 points) and July 2016 (waiting for next month's results)) and being able to study full-time. If I had to do MBE again, I really would've gone crazy. If I don't pass this time, I will be forced to move onto Plan B for financial reasons (apply for in-house counsel license in CA after hopefully getting another in-house gig there) or Plan C (move back to NY).

I can't imagine studying for a bar exam for a state I have no intention of moving to any time soon (if ever), especially with working full-time. After taking the NY Bar 5 times (I see the UBE format did not eliminate the brutal NY multiple choice exam), I would vote for taking a break. You can always take it in the future (i.e., beyond July), given that FL (like CA) doesn't have reciprocity.

A BIG BOOYAH ON FINALLY PASSING!

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:07 pm

Congrats.

I have family in Florida and the Florida bar sucks. I just passed NY and don't plan on taking FL until I need to work there, if it ever happens.

With any luck they will go UBE at some point, although I am pessimistic.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

hockeyman969

Bronze

Post by hockeyman969 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:33 am

Congrats on the pass, it seems like the black cloud finally blew away and very far away...only explanation for 1 point the first 4 times.

I passed the UBE and I am taking Florida, but I decided I'm going to take it easy, and study for an extended period on BLL to give a chance so I took NY in July 2016 and I'm gonna take Florida in July 2017.

Definitely give one administration a pass.

whitecollar23

Bronze

Post by whitecollar23 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:37 pm

You should also consider that Florida might become a UBE state in a few years. With NY taking the plunge, there's no telling what the domino effect will be for the rest of the country.

wwwcol

Bronze

Post by wwwcol » Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:49 am

whitecollar23 wrote:You should also consider that Florida might become a UBE state in a few years. With NY taking the plunge, there's no telling what the domino effect will be for the rest of the country.
A Fl bar board member recently floated the idea of *studying* UBE adoption and was thoroughly shot down by the membership.

I suppose anything's possible, but there's no reason to think FL will switch to UBE. Unlike NY, FL wants to discourage lots of people from causally trying to practice law there - along with CA, it's probably the most protectionist bar in the country.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”